Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

CM1200 modem not connecting with MR60 mesh router. ax1800 system.

SPdevotee
Aspirant

CM1200 modem not connecting with MR60 mesh router. ax1800 system.

I'm attempting to upgrade both my router and modem.  I installed the CM1200 modem w/Comcast a few weeks ago but then ran into problems.  The modem installed fine but then the RM60 router would not connect properly.  I have the MK63 system from Costco, AX1800.

Comcast kept saying to put the RM60 into bridge mode but I could not connect to the www.routerlogin.net.

Should I install the modem our router first?  Could the modem have been detecting my R7800 router that was dissconnected and the RM60 confused it?

Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: CM1200 modem not connecting with MR60 mesh router. ax1800 system.

There's not a RM60. Do you mean the MR60?

Try this. 

Power off the modem and the MR60. disconnect everything from both. Even disconnect the coax from the cm1200. leave them sit for several minutes. 

connect coax back to the CM1200. power it on. Wait several minutes to fully boot. 

Connect lan cable from cm1200 (in port 1) to wan port on router. 

Boot up the router. Give it several minutes to boot. 

Try setup on it. 

1 thing I will say. The CM1200 on comcast can only have 1 device connected to it. Even though it has more ports, comcast only allows 1 public ip address unless you pay for more or have a business class line. So only connect 1 device to it. 

Message 2 of 7
SPdevotee
Aspirant

That’s interesting. I noticed something weird when I used more than 1 of the modem ports. The problem is the mesh only has 1 port and I need at least 3.

Do you recommend setting up the modem first and then the router or vice versa?

I have to ask Comcast for more ip’s. Any idea how to do that and how much it’ll cost? Or should I use a switch after the router? Switch recommendations?
Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

the MR60 should have a wan port and a lan port. 

You can connect a switch to the lan port to add additional lan ports if you'd like. Its a pretty cheap option. You can usually get a 5-8 port gigabit switch for $20-30

but if you connect other devices to the cm1200, it'll cause issues. Not sure how much additional IP address's or switching to a business class line is but a switch would probably be a better option. 

Message 4 of 7
SPdevotee
Aspirant

Is there a quality difference in any switches?  Will they dilute the signal coming from my WIFI 6 router?  

Recommendations?

Message 5 of 7
SPdevotee
Aspirant

Yes, MR 60.  I transposed it.

Message 6 of 7
plemans
Guru

A simple unmanaged gigabit switch should work without "diluting the signal"

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7