Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Can I add a mesh extender eg EAX20 instead of another MS60 satellite to extend my MK62 system?

haptad
Aspirant

Can I add a mesh extender eg EAX20 instead of another MS60 satellite to extend my MK62 system?

Because extenders are cheap and MS60 satellites are hard to find/very expensive. What are the pros and cons?

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Can I add a mesh extender eg EAX20 instead of another MS60 satellite to extend my MK62 system?

Cons: It won't integrate with your system so it might not be as stable. With it joining a mesh system, it might end up connecting to a satellite versus the router and that'd decrease your throughput on a dual band system.

Pro's: its cheaper

I've seen a lot of people just buy another system like the 3 pack and use the satellites while selling the router to recoup some $. I've also just seen then hold onto the router as a backup because if the router fails and you can't get one, you're out a lot of $ in satellites. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
haptad
Aspirant

Re: Can I add a mesh extender eg EAX20 instead of another MS60 satellite to extend my MK62 system?

(or even the cheaper EAX12-100UKS or EX7700-100UKS extenders)

Message 2 of 5
plemans
Guru

Cons: It won't integrate with your system so it might not be as stable. With it joining a mesh system, it might end up connecting to a satellite versus the router and that'd decrease your throughput on a dual band system.

Pro's: its cheaper

I've seen a lot of people just buy another system like the 3 pack and use the satellites while selling the router to recoup some $. I've also just seen then hold onto the router as a backup because if the router fails and you can't get one, you're out a lot of $ in satellites. 

Message 3 of 5
haptad
Aspirant

Thanks - about what I expected! As long as I can still get seamless switching between nodes, throughput isn't such a huge issue.

Message 4 of 5
plemans
Guru

Not sure if it'll be as seamless as using just the MS60 satellites since that system integrates but it should roam

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7