Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Can I put a Nighthawk Ax1800 Satellite in an unheated garage in a cold weather area?

JimShane
Guide

Can I put a Nighthawk Ax1800 Satellite in an unheated garage in a cold weather area?

I want to add a mesh satellite to my detached unheated garage in an area that can get to temperatures below Zero (farenheit) (Wisconsin).   Will there be any problems with this?

Some background.   I have an underground sprinkler system that was installed 20  years ago.    While having the system winterized, I mentioned that the water sensor doesn't work - and could they fix it in the spring when they turn it on.

The technician told me that technology has improved since our system was installed - and if we install a new control box, it can hook up to Wifi and that can be used for the rain sensor (instead of the old way of a little tube filling up with water).   But, the control is in the garage which is not attached to our house.   I don't think the wifi is strong outside our house, so I would add a satelite to the garage.   But, as I say - I live in Wisconsin, and the temperatures can get as low as 40 below zero (although it hasn't been that cold this winter, and, I suspec the really cold temperatures are over)

But, I really only need the satelite to be out in the garage in the late spring through early fall anyway - since we obviously don't use the sprinkler system in the winter.   But, I still would like to know if I can keep a satelite plugged in in cold temperatures - of if I shoudl bring it inside our house for the winters.

Thank you

jim

Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: Can I put a Nighthawk Ax1800 Satellite in an unheated garage in a cold weather area?

Can you? sure. 

Can it reduce the life span? Certainly. 

I've had one in my garage for around 5 years here in minnesota. Its worked great. 

Will yours last that long? Maybe? maybe it'll last 30 days. 

problems with outdoors is the changes in temperatures can cause moisture to build up on warm electronics. Or even days with higher humidity (like summer in wisconsin). 

If you're going to do it, I'd recommend a outdoor rated one or get one and put it in a weather enclosure. 

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7