Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Re: Can't connect the ethernet port on an MR60 to a switch, it doesn't seem to recognize the switch.

dbarbee
Initiate

Can't connect the ethernet port on an MR60 to a switch, it doesn't seem to recognize the switch.

I replaced my very old internet gateway with a new MR60 mesh system with 2 sattelites (MS60). I'm not sure what rhe exact model number is as the Model selector for the formum post does not recognize any of the numbers on the box or router itself (MR60, AX1800/MK63, MK63-100NAS).

Firmware was updated by the setup app while installing this morning to v1.0.4.92

Not likely relevant, but the ethernet port is connected to an Arris SB8200 connected to gigabit service from Comcast.

My old router had Wan conection+4 ethernet connections I used to connect my desktop, printer, etc. (systems without built in WiFi) The MR60 only has one ethernet connection, so I thought I could put a switch (TrendNet 8-Port gigabit switch, TEG-S82g). The switch and the MR60 don't hand shake. The link light on the switch indicating a connection does not light, but the one with the computer does. I have no internet on the computer, though I can ping other devices connected to the switchIf I take the cable from the MR60 router and plug into the computer directly (bipassing the switch), it connects the internet (I'm using the harwired connection now), but obviously can't connect to the other devices on the switch. What gives? Everything I read before buying the setup suggested I could connect the router to a switch to get more than 1 ethernet port. I there some setting for the router I need to configure to make the router connect with the switch? 

BTW, if I substitute the old router for the MR60, everything works fine. The link light for the connection to the old router lights up and all of the systems connected to the switch can connect to the internet with no issues. The switch was new in box, though  I bought it 3-4 years ago to replace another switch that was acting up but that one just turned out to be a bad cable, so never used it. Do I need a newer switch? After reading some other posts for other NG routers, it says not to use 'Green' switches. The TrendNet switch ays it uses 'GreenNet' technology. I sthat possibly the problem?

So again what gives? I have a number of systems I'd like to connect to the internet that require a wired connection, If the MR60 can't be used with a switch, I guess I'll need to return it and use a different make/model.

Message 1 of 18
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Can't connect the ethernet port on an MR60 to a switch, it doesn't seem to recognize the switch.

Hello dbarbee, 

We have not received reports of the Nighthawk Mesh system not being compatible with a switch. Have you had a chance to try a different switch?

Christian 

Message 2 of 18
dbarbee
Initiate

Hi Christian,

It was definately the router no working with the switch. I moved th cable from the router from the TrendNet switch to my Powerliner Adapter's (WD Livewire) built in 4 port hub/switch and it started to work. I'm not sure if the Livewire's switch/hub is gigabit speed. The powerline transmission rate is only 200Mbs

Duncan

Message 3 of 18
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Duncan, 

Thanks for getting back. I'll forward this post to our product teams for further input. In the meantime, I can assist with support getting in contact with you for further investigation. If you wish to be contacted, please send me a private message with your contact info. 

Christian 

Message 4 of 18
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Duncan, 

Thanks for the info. I have forwarded it to support and they should be contacting you as soon as possible. 

Regards,

Christian 

Message 5 of 18
ktwel
Aspirant

Re: Can't connect the ethernet port on an MR60 to a switch, it doesn't seem to recognize the switch

I have the same problem -- nothing plugged into that port is recognized.

Message 6 of 18
schumaku
Guru

Re: Can't connect the ethernet port on an MR60 to a switch, it doesn't seem to recognize the switch

@ktwel wrote:

I have the same problem

Not the same - the OP had a TrendNet 8-Port gigabit switch TEG-S82g that did not wanted to sync, and a WD Livewire PLA that works.

@ktwel wrote:

nothing plugged into that port is recognized.

Define nothing (make, model) please.

Used a known 100% working direct patch cable or some in-house wiring? Tried a crossed-out cable type - because not all Ethernet interfaces support Auto-MDIX (automatic medium-dependent interface crossover) which become standard with Gigabit?

Message 7 of 18
tonerrg
Aspirant

I'm having a similar problem. MR60 with 1 satellite and SB6121 modem do not recognize that they are connected using known good patch cables. If I connect a device directly to the modem it is recognized and works properly.

This system is only 4 days old and was working fine until sometime while we were sleeping last night.
Message 8 of 18
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello tonerrg, 

If you recently purchased the device, I would recommend contacting our support team as your device is provided with 90 days of complimentary support. You can contact support by registering your device using the link below. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/default.aspx

Christian 

Message 9 of 18
DaveNeely
Guide

Same issue here. New installation, router connected to a switch which also has two downline switches attached. Worked great for a few days then just stopped working. None of the computers on the LAN can get IP addresses, Wifi still working. Was there a new firmware update or something? so weird for it to stop working right in mid day with no actions on my part.

Message 10 of 18
DaveNeely
Guide

My issue was unrelated to firmware update, I had a bad switch downstream that was messing everything up. Just FYI, the one causing the problem was a TP Link 5 port switch I got from Home Depot.

Message 11 of 18
Omuamua
Initiate

I hope my troubleshooting procedure may help others. My configuration is below

Xfi Modem(comcast) >>> MR60 Router >>> TP-Link TL-SG108 Unmanaged 8-port switch

Problem: Unable access internet from the TP-Link switch.

Solution:

1. Establish direct LAN connection from your MR60 to PC and ping MR60's ip address. 

a. Success: Your router and the cable is good.

b: Failed: Try using different network cable.

2. Establish LAN connection to your pc from the switch and see if you can ping MR60's IP address.

a. Success: Your switch is probably working fine. Check other ports on the switch.

b. Failed: Follow these steps in order

i. Disconnect all the network cables on the switch including power.

ii. Reboot Modem first then Router(Wait until both established successful                                 connection)

iii. Connect Power cable to the switch.(Wait for 1 min)

iv. Connect LAN cable from your MR60 router (Wait for 2 min)

v. Now connect the network cable from switch(port 2) to your PC and ping

MR60's ip address. This should resolve the issue. Then connect rest of                               the network cables to the switch.

I hope this helps! 

Message 12 of 18
claycat1
Aspirant

Has anyone found a resolution for this issue?

I'm experiencing the exact same symptoms whereby my unmanaged switch does not see that either the router or a satelite of the MR60/MS60 are plugged in.

Message 13 of 18
BigShot
Aspirant

Can I connect a switch (NG GS308P) to the Ethernet Port on a MR60

I have several ethernet-wired devices connected to the Netgear GS308P switch (devices like printers, NAS, etc.). I'd like to expose those to the mesh network by connecting the switch to the ethernet port on the MR60, but it doesn't seem to be working. Is what I trying even possible?

@claycat1 wrote:

Has anyone found a resolution for this issue?

I'm experiencing the exact same symptoms whereby my unmanaged switch does not see that either the router or a satelite of the MR60/MS60 are plugged in.

Message 14 of 18
claycat1
Aspirant

Re: Can I connect a switch (NG GS308P) to the Ethernet Port on a MR60

@BigShot , i never could get my switch to recognize that the MR60 (router or satellite) was plugged in and the Netgear support team was of no help. I returned the equipment and opted for another, non-netgear mesh system. In addition to this issue, I found the speeds provided from the MR60 were very poor at small distances from the router/satellite.

Message 15 of 18
punu
Aspirant

The ports started working after I disabled Netgear Armor from Nighthawk app - Settings - Security

Message 16 of 18
punu
Aspirant

Sorry My bad.. disabling the Armor enabled ethernet port on a TPlink extender.. still the ports on the NETGEAR unmanaged switch are not working. Will try to contact support team tomorrow.

Setup - ISP modem - Netgear Switch - MK63 router - Satelites + Extender + VOIP on router ethernet

Connected TV and laptop on Switch ports .. Internet NOT working

Message 17 of 18
punu
Aspirant

Finally the issue got resolved.

ISP modem was actually a router combo with LAN ports

Looks like IP conflicts with switch and MK63 router

To solve.. changed the IP range of Nethear MK63 router using the routerlogin.com to a new range like 192.168.192.1 (Advanced -> setup -> LAN setup)

Boom other ports connected to switch started working.

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7