Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Can't connect to mr60 to firmware update

johnp0126
Aspirant

Can't connect to mr60 to firmware update

MR60 NIGHTHAWK.  HAVE THE FIRMWARE dated 12.9,21 but from the app and from the weblink i don't see the link to "ADVANCED' to update firmware, on the ios app it continues to say it can't connect.

i have optimum and in oct i finally got optimum to change their modem / router to just a modem so i use the nighthawk as only a router.  How can i connect to it to firmware update and do you do each the main and then the 2 satelites?

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Can't connect to mr60 to firmware update

AH, ya that would be a problem. 

The mobile app has caused problems before so I recommend using the MR and MS web pages to update FW. Once the FW is updated and things are back online, then use the mobile app. 

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend you update the MS first, then the MR using a wired PC and web browser using the update process outlined here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Mesh-System/New-MK6x-series-MR60-MS60-FW-v1-1-6-122-Relea...

Message 2 of 6
johnp0126
Aspirant

routelogin.net just goes to the netgear home page.  How else can i upgrade the router, is there a way to connect a PC / Mac to the main unit and update it that way?  i also used the address of the router and that doesn't work either.

I really don't want to factory reset it.

Why doesn't it work?  I had no issues updating before.

I use optimum and in oct the group showed me how to get them to turn their device into a modem only so mine is just a router / wifi only.

The app in ios used to work plus i used to be able to get to it before via a mac and webpage.

What and or how to do this since the website does not work neither does the app but it is pretty important to get it done.  i have not even had the devices for a year.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

So you can't access 192.168.1.1 with a wired PC connected to the MR? If not, then the MR maybe in a bad state and a factory reset maybe needed. I recommend that you have the MS and MR update FW files already on a wired PC. Disconnect the MR from the ISP modem. Then factory reset and MR and MS and setup from scratch. I would get the MS connected to the MR. Once you have the MS connected, connect to there given IP address web page and send the FW file to the MS First. Once MS FW file has been sent, send the MR the FW update file. Once the MS and MR are back to ready, power OFF the MS and MR for 1 minute or longer. Power OFF the isp modem as well for 1 minute then back ON. Connect the MR to the modem again, and power it ON. After the MR is ready, power ON the MS one at a time. 

Message 4 of 6
johnp0126
Aspirant

duh my fault.

connected to a different wifi.  once done i had to manually update the main and then the 2 sat's but now finally up to the right firmware way in advance of what i did over the summer, why can't they fix the app to work right?

no wonder they only offer 90 days of free support.  they do work well and were cost effective from costco but jeeze can you make it easier to do

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

AH, ya that would be a problem. 

The mobile app has caused problems before so I recommend using the MR and MS web pages to update FW. Once the FW is updated and things are back online, then use the mobile app. 

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7