Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Re: workaround: Cannot ping the device in same network (MR60)

sresam89
Guide

Cannot ping the device in same network (MR60)

Switched to this device 3 days ago and having a hardtime managing my network since then.

Worst customer-care support ever even with premium support

Spend Three hours on calls all-together today with 4 diffrenet people who absolutley dont understand the basics of networking
One of the "tech-expert-rep" was not aware "devices in same network can be pinged"

Let me start with my connection setup

I have 2 satellites(MS60) and one router (MR60)

I have a few static devices on each room and few mobile devices.

When I move aroud in the my home the devices that get attached to the satelites cannot ping/reach the devices that are connected to the router and the same happens vice-versa.

The worst part is I cant even connect to the devices that are attached to the same satellite, forget the part that netgear routers cannot resolve local network hostname

All devices can reach the router and the internet through the internet.

All three devices  (satellites and router) are on V1.0.6.102_2.0.45 firmware (most updated one per the andoird app)

The router and satellites are on default settings out-of-the-box commisioning through the andoird application

Opened a case 43805142.
waiting for the rep to call back due to frequent call drops (calls were outsourced to off-shore)

Does anyone has any tips?

Will give it week before I return the device for a refund

Message 1 of 68
plemans
Guru

Re: Cannot ping the device in same network (MR60)

Some questions. 

1. What modem gateway are you connecting it to? 

2. Are the sateliltes hardwired in or running wireless? 

3. the devices you're pinging, what are they? 

4. Is it timing out? what response are you getting? 

5. Have you tried pinging from different machines? 

Message 2 of 68
sresam89
Guide

1. What modem gateway are you connecting it to? 

There is an internet modem/gateway my ISP provided, that is where the router is connected to (do you need make and model?)

2. Are the sateliltes hardwired in or running wireless? 
Satelites are running wireless

3. the devices you're pinging, what are they? 
the static devices are home-automation device, like smart-plugs/sensors/server/rpis...

4. Is it timing out? what response are you getting? 

Its just timing out  "Destination host unreachable"

5. Have you tried pinging from different machines? 

Tried that too, any cannot ping any device that get attached to the satelites from any other device on the router same or different satelite

Message 3 of 68
plemans
Guru

Your isp modem/router, is it running in modem/router mode or passthrough mode? 
Or is your netgear running in access point mode? 

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

Message 4 of 68
sresam89
Guide

Its a modem but a passthrough, the wifi-ap device that I use before acts as a bridge on the WAN-side and router function on the LAN 

Or is your netgear running in access point mode? 

Router is not running on AP mode.

I dont think this has anything to do with the Internet
I would expect a basic router to have the minimal routing function to work propertly even when offline 

The router should let other devices connected to it to be discovered/ping, even that seems to be problem at end. Especially when the devices are attacehed to satellites

Message 5 of 68
plemans
Guru

@sresam89 wrote:

Its a modem but a passthrough, the wifi-ap device that I use before acts as a bridge on the WAN-side and router function on the LAN 

Not sure if i'm getting exactly what you describe here. 

What modem/router is it? not all have properly functioning passthrough mode. 

Message 6 of 68
sresam89
Guide

This the one I have

https://dzsi.com/product/znid-gpon-2424a/

Like I said, if I were to use this product completely in offline mode (without internet)

I would expect this product to have basic routing/switching function with any issues

Message 7 of 68
plemans
Guru

You'd think so but I've had issues with smart devices not working properly when not online. Should still respond to ping though. 

I know the ZNID-GPON-2424A has its own integrated router. 

have you tried disabling the wireless on it, leave the router portion enabled, and then putting the MR60 in access point mode? 

Message 8 of 68
sresam89
Guide

You'd think so but I've had issues with smart devices not working properly when not online. Should still respond to ping though. 

Thats exactly what I was hoping

I know the ZNID-GPON-2424A has its own integrated router. 

have you tried disabling the wireless on it, leave the router portion enabled, and then putting the MR60 in access point mode? 

there

There is no wireless on the  ZNID-GPON-2424A (atleast my ISP version does not have it enabled)

This mode/router configures its lan device as a bridged network.

When I tried the MR60 in access point mode I lost internet all together

Message 9 of 68
plemans
Guru

there's not much information on the ZNID-GPON-2424A 

What I could find shows it has its own dhcp client. So its got some integrated routing capability built into it. 

Maybe it was disabled improperly (wouldn't be the first time) or comes stock disabled. Which is why AP mode didn't work. But again, it might not be implemented properly.

I don't have one to toy around with but thats worth looking into. 

also, if you disconnect the mk60 from the gateway (for testing) and have you devices connected, can you ping them? (disconnect and reboot the router) Maybe not all if they're one of those sh**t coded ones that have to online to be responsive. 

Message 10 of 68
sresam89
Guide

also, if you disconnect the mk60 from the gateway (for testing) and have you devices connected

I tried that still no go, cannot ping the local devices

Maybe it was disabled improperly (wouldn't be the first time) or comes stock disabled. Which is why AP mode didn't work. But again, it might not be implemented properly.

My ISP has given me no access to their device, hence I do not have any remote capability to change anythign there.

For the KICKS I plugged in a ASUS-TM_AC_1900 that was lying around to the ISP given modem/router, and that works just fine. I can ping all my devices

Maybe not all if they're one of those sh**t coded ones that have to online to be responsive. 

All of my local-iot-devices are internet independant, I made them myself.

Message 11 of 68
plemans
Guru

I'm not sure why you can't ping them. 

They still work though? 

I've got an arris mesh and and orbi mesh running right now and can ping any of my devices. 

Message 12 of 68
me20201
Tutor

I have about the same issue.

depending on "who_knows_what", various devices within the network cannot be pinged. For example right now my PC and My TV are both connected to main router (not satellites) and I cannot ping the TV from the PC

Request timeout for icmp_seq 876

ping: sendto: Host is down

But I can ping the TV from the IPAD which is connected to one of the satellites.

Despite how much I want to like this mesh system, I think is not yet ready for prime time. I may keep it for a couple more weeks, but I feel I will return it.

Netgear if you hear - please test your products. I refuse to spend hours with tech support for plug this, unpplug that, etc. Wifi is like tap water. Either works or does not.

Message 13 of 68
imjustabill
Guide

I have the same problem.  Brand new nighthawk MR60 + 2*MS60.  I can't ping or otherwise see my synology nas (plugged into wired port on MR60) from my mac notebook.  All of this worked with my old router. Very frustrating, since the whole point of buying the netgear system was to unify the whole home network so that I can see my nas and my shared printers from throughout the house.

Message 14 of 68
PhunnyBoy
Tutor

My Surface Pro could cast to both of my Chromecast devices but my phone could only cast to one of them.  My Surface Pro COULD ping the problem Chromecast but my phone COULD NOT.  Turned WiFi off on my phone and then back on.  This allowed my phone to cast to both Chromecast devices.

Message 15 of 68
imjustabill
Guide

solved/workaround: Cannot ping the device in same network (MR60)

With the MR60 + 2*MS60 configured as a router, my wired devices (e.g. a Synology NAS) could not be seen from my wifi devices (e.g. a Macbook Air), and vice-versa, but wifi devices could see one another.

Solution/workaround: I put my old TP-Link router back in place as a router, with wifi disabled, and then configured my MR60 as an access point.  Now my wired and wifi devices can all see one another.  I am back in business accessing my NAS from my Mac notebooks.  Unfortunately my upload speed in the workaround state is slower than with the MR60 in router mode, but at least my home network is now in a working state.

I would love to have some sort of firmware update that would allow traffic to/from the wired ports on the MR60/MS60 to be bridged/switched onto the wifi network, so that my wifii devices could talk with my wired NAS when the MR60 is in router mode.

Many thanks to Louie from customer support ticket # 43957276 who spent a lot of time trying several possible ideas to help me out via chat yesterday.  While we were not able to resolve the issue with the MR60 in router mode, I do appreciate the support.  I hope we can find out from the firmware experts whether this is a feature or a bug.

Message 16 of 68
Bradster
Tutor

This sounds similar to the issue I had with my mesh router. I could never get it resolved. https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Mesh-System/Devices-on-mk62-mr60-and-ms60-become-invisibl...
Message 17 of 68
AlbanyMatt
Tutor

Re: solved/workaround: Cannot ping the device in same network (MR60)

Also have the Nighthalk MR60 and experiancing the exact same issue with my SONOs speakers. The app can't see both of my speakers at the same time, but if I move to another room and turn off my wifi, then turn it back on so that my phone connects to the satalite next to the other speaker then I can see the other one, but the other speaker goes away. 

It's like devices between the satalites can't communicate with eachother on the same network. Kinda like the subnet being blocked or something - but still works getting out to the internet.

I'm going to try out your "workaround" since I still have my old router and see if that helps. Thanks for posting this information! 

I hope Netgear is reviewing these posts and making their products better with new firmware soon. 

Message 18 of 68
PhunnyBoy
Tutor

I read some 1 star reviews for this product and was able to identify the problem and the solution thanks to other early adopters.

Login from a browser and disable AX mode and your problem devices should become happy after the settings are applied. May be some time (months...years?) before your wireless media devices play nice with this new AX IP6 stuff...
Message 19 of 68
AlbanyMatt
Tutor

@PhunnyBoy wrote:
I read some 1 star reviews for this product and was able to identify the problem and the solution thanks to other early adopters.

Login from a browser and disable AX mode and your problem devices should become happy after the settings are applied. May be some time (months...years?) before your wireless media devices play nice with this new AX IP6 stuff...

Interesting - @PhunnyBoy - do you happen to have the link to that resolution? I was reading up on what AX mode is and that doesn't really sound like it's related to the issue I was experiancing. 

I just put in my old router and turned the MR60 into an AP mode only (not router) and it fixed the issue. All of my devices now see all my other devices within the network - FINALLY! 

Message 20 of 68
PhunnyBoy
Tutor

@AlbanyMatt I spoke too soon...and was wrong. Killing AX mode initially fixed my casting issue until it didn't.
Message 21 of 68
me20201
Tutor

Someone please mark this topic as unsolved as no workaround exists.

Workaround to put in another router and use MR60 as an AP, is like buying a new car but being forced to drive the old one because new one does not have wheels.

For those of you saying "I would love to have some sort of firmware update that would allow traffic to/from the wired ports on the MR60/MS60 to be bridged/switched onto the wifi network, so that my wifii devices could talk with my wired NAS when the MR60 is in router mode."

Let me tell you: this is basic LAN routing capability and not something nice to have. Is an undeniable defect which Netgear did not catch.

Message 22 of 68
Chris102015
Aspirant

I have the same problem. Two wifi connected printers can not be used/pinged if the computer is connected to the same satellite as the printers. If I move the computer to another satellite it works fine. As a workaround I connected the printers via wired connection and l can use the printers now even if I'm connected to the same satellite. Did anyone found a solution to communicate wirelessly with devices connected to the same satellite? This might require a firmware update. Netgear please look into it.
Message 23 of 68
mjgadient
Initiate

Is there a class action lawsuit for this yet? Absolutely ridiculous problem to still be having with it being on the market this long.

Message 24 of 68
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello everyone,

For those still experiencing issues, please send me a private message with your email address and serial number. 

Regards,

Christian 

Message 25 of 68
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7