Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Re: Configure AT&T ARRIS BGW210-700 with EAX80 AX6000 WiFi Range Extender

AMCooper63
Tutor

Configure AT&T ARRIS BGW210-700 with EAX80 AX6000 WiFi Range Extender

I am attempting to get my AT&T Gate Way ARRIS BGW210-700 to recognize my Nighthawk EAX80 AX6000 WiFi Range Extender as a Mesh Client with a wired backhaul. I think that I have everything configured correctly. 2.4 and 5Ghz radios are on the same channel, using the same SSID, with the same WAP2 password. They seem to work. As I move from the AT&T GW to near the Nighthawk, the WiFi signal strength will go up and down as I move. Given time, my devices seem to switch between the AT&T and the Nighthawk. It it seems it should be more fluid. Also the AT&T GW does not recognize the Nighthawk as a mesh client. 

Any thoughts on how to get the AT&T GW to recognize the Nighthawk as a mesh client?

ATT Home Network Devices.pngATT Home Network Status.png

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

It only functions in mesh mode when ran in extender mode. That's what allows the smart roaming to function properly. 

In AP mode, you can set it with the same ssid but the smart roaming doesn't function the same. 

the only current devices that function with a hardwired backhaul and smart roaming are the Orbi series or MK nighthawk series. 

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
plemans
Guru

the BGW210 isn't a mesh router. 

You have the EAX80 hardwired into the BGW? If so, the eax80 should be in access point mode. If thats the case, you shouldn't have them on the same channel. 

If the EAX80 is in extender mode (connected wireless to the router), then it uses the same channel. Otherwise it can cause interference between the 2

Message 2 of 7
AMCooper63
Tutor

1. The BGW210 isn't a mesh router.
    It certainly shows that it is a mesh router. See the screen shots I supplied. Oops, I see that my PNG screen shots did not show. Nor do JPGs show. I'llhave to attache files.
  2. You have the EAX80 hardwired into the BGW?
    Yes, it is hard wired.
  3. If so, the eax80 should be in access point mode.
    It is in AP mode.
  4. If thats the case, you shouldn't have them on the same channel. 
    My understanding is that you must have them on the same channel to work as a mesh system.

Message 3 of 7
AMCooper63
Tutor

OK, neither JPGs or PNGs show in the message. It only allows me to attach a single file to a message. Here is the second screen shot.

Message 4 of 7
plemans
Guru

@AMCooper63 wrote:
  1. The BGW210 isn't a mesh router.
    It certainly shows that it is a mesh router. See the screen shots I supplied. Oops, I see that my PNG screen shots did not show. Nor do JPGs show. I'llhave to attache files.
  2. You have the EAX80 hardwired into the BGW?
    Yes, it is hard wired.
  3. If so, the eax80 should be in access point mode.
    It is in AP mode.
  4. If thats the case, you shouldn't have them on the same channel. 
    My understanding is that you must have them on the same channel to work as a mesh system.

Just because ATT put a "mesh" in there doesn't mean it works with all mesh systems or that devices will even show as mesh. You're welcome to check with att on that but I haven't found online anywhere that its part of a mesh system. Again, you can check with att on it since its their router.  

In AP mode, the extender is functioning basically as a second router with dhcp/nat controlled by the primary router. If you have 2 routers broadcasting on the same channels, it creates interference and slows down the network. If you want to setup the eax80 in extender mode, then it does use the same channels because it has to wirelessly connect to the router. Its pointless to have them on the same channel when the eax80 is running in access point mode. It'll only hurt your performance. 

Message 5 of 7
AMCooper63
Tutor

AT&T seems oblivious to the fact that it says mesh in their router. If I mention Netgear, they simply say "We do not support third part equipment." I asked what mesh equipment they do support, they point to their sales site. I point out that none of them say they are mesh. End of the conversation. Seems that getting two peices of gear to work together properly is unsupported. 

As for speed and being on the same channel, I'm not seeing an issue. I've done tests. I'll disable WiFi on the AT&T Gate Way and walk around my house testing speeds. Then I do the reverse, turn off the Netgear and enable the AT&T WiFi and re-test speeds. Speeds follow distance from the router. 

With both WiFi's on, speeds seem to hang on to the WiFi that it happened to connect to when the WiFi device was powered on. When I walk to the opposit WiFi, it seems to hang onto the remote WiFi for a couple speed tests and then switch. It is not quick like I would expect for a true mesh, but it does seem to switch. I do not know a way to know for sure that it has switched. I've used WiFi analysers. I can see the two APs on the same channel. I can see the relative strengths of them as I move about the house. I cannot tell which one my device connects to. I can only make assumptions based upon speed tests at different distances from the two APs. 

Thanks for your input. It is helpful to have other opinions other than only my own.

Message 6 of 7
plemans
Guru

It only functions in mesh mode when ran in extender mode. That's what allows the smart roaming to function properly. 

In AP mode, you can set it with the same ssid but the smart roaming doesn't function the same. 

the only current devices that function with a hardwired backhaul and smart roaming are the Orbi series or MK nighthawk series. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7