Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Re: Connect Nighthawk Mesh WiFI AX1800 to existing Wifi network (as a repeater)

Praveenpp
Follower

Connect Nighthawk Mesh WiFI AX1800 to existing Wifi network (as a repeater)

Is it possible to connect Nighthawk Mesh WiFI AX1800 to existing Wifi (as a AP/Bridge/Repeating Mode) instead of connecting LAN directly into the base unit. I want to do this to extend the reach of my Wifi Mesh. 

Message 1 of 3
schumaku
Guru

No.

And it's perfectly fine that it isn't possible,

On an Ethernet cable, you can reach a distance of 100 meters for Gigabit (even 2.5, 5, or 10 Gb is feasible) in a reliable way.  If you need longer distances, even fiber installations are feasible. From the points where you have real wired network, you cold deploy wireless access points - again wired - for the 

On a wireless "hop" of such a Nighthawk Mesh you barely get a fraction of the performance _and_ the distance. Waste of bandwidth (on-air - bandwidth is limited by the small number of channels).

Anything else was born in the dreams of "mesh" marketing people: The bi- or tri-annual rat-race for having to update to the "latest" Mesh system is already waiting behind the door again.

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Nighthawk MESH product. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Nighthawk MESH and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "Orbi AX" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Mesh-System/bd-p/en-home-nighthawk-mesh-system

Thank you.

@Praveenpp wrote:

Is it possible to connect Nighthawk Mesh WiFI AX1800 to existing Wifi (as a AP/Bridge/Repeating Mode) instead of connecting LAN directly into the base unit. I want to do this to extend the reach of my Wifi Mesh. 

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7