Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Device on router loses internet connectivity when connection moves to satellite

Device on router loses internet connectivity when connection moves to satellite

[Note I have AC2200 Mini Orbi Router (RBR40 with 1 satellite RBW30). I'm not sure this is the correct forum to post this. Please redirect me as needed.]

I've now witnessed this issue with an iPhone 11, an older Windows 10 Dell laptop, and now a newer Windows 11 Dell laptop.  I'm connected to the RBR40 router on the 1st floor.  I walk upstairs to the second floor and my connection moves to the RBW30 satellite.  I'm still connected to the Wi-Fi, but I have no internet access.  A reboot does not resolve this.

When I look on the Orbi admin console, I see the laptop is connected to the RBW30 satellite.  If I bring the device downstairs, it will start working again (i.e. it will regain access to the internet).

This does NOT happen with every device in the house.  There's a Windows 10 desktop computer upstairs, that's always been upstairs, that never has issues getting on the internet.  Same goes for the Roku that's upstairs.  It's always working.  

The only common denominator is if the device connects to the router downstairs and then travels upstairs and switches its connection to the satellite.  The symptoms are always the same - connected to the Wi-Fi, but no internet access.

Firmware is up to date on the router and satellite.  No updates are available.

Any tips are greatly appreciated!!

Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: Device on router loses internet connectivity when connection moves to satellite

1. this is actually the forum for the orbi devices: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/bd-p/Orbi

2. what actual firmware number is on the router and the satellites? We hear "the latest" a lot and many times it isn't. So we ask for what version you're actually on. 

3. what modem/gateway is the router connected to? 

Message 2 of 6

Re: Device on router loses internet connectivity when connection moves to satellite

The admin console is telling me there are no firmware updates available for either the router (RBR40 - v2.7.4.24) nor the satellite (RBW30 - v26.2.6).  

I have Google Fiber.  So I have an Ethernet cable from the wall to the router.  

Should I (re)start this discussion in the proper forum?

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

It looks like it got moved to the proper forum.

what ONT did google provide you? 
Have you tried a factory reset/reinstall recently? 

Message 4 of 6

Resetting the satellite did not make a difference.  If I power up the Windows 11 laptop close to the satellite, Windows 11 shows I'm connected but with no Internet access. Orbi shows it's connected.  I verify the IP on the laptop matches what the Orbi thinks the IP is.    

If I go to the room with the router, I automatically gain internet access within a few seconds.  

I'm basing my comment on firmware based on the fact the Orbi mgmt console says there are no firmware updates available for either device.

I'm not sure why the Ethernet jack the router is plugged in to is relevant.  Everything in my house can connect to the router.  It's a couple of random mobile devices that cannot get to the Internet when moving from a connection on the router to a connection on the satellite.  And I have two devices that only connect to the satellite that are able to maintain a connection to the Internet.  Every device gets an IP.  But these random devices cannot get to the Internet.

It's almost like the "problem" devices are allowed on the router but blocked on the satellite. 

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

I meant factory reset the whole system, not just the satellite. 

And knowing what gateway your connecting the router to is important because double nats can cause surprising issues. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7