Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Devices connecting to router instead of EX6410 WiFi mesh extender and getting poor throughput

3opkuu
Follower

Devices connecting to router instead of EX6410 WiFi mesh extender and getting poor throughput

Hi there

I live in quite a large property over three floors and was unable to get decent signal or throughput from a Sky router connected to my PC, so bought x2 EX6410 wifi mesh extenders. The router is located on the third floor, my PC is located on the ground floor and around 70-80ft on the horizontal plane away from the router. I've placed one of the extenders in between the PC and the router, round 70-80ft horizontally away from the router and perhaps 20ft on the vertical.

Since my Sky router was upgraded to the new model, presumably with better performance, my PC no longer connects to the extender but directly to the router. The throughput is very poor and at times I'm getting just 3-4mb down, compared to c. 45mb previously.

I simply can't seem to find a way to get my PC to connect to what should clearly be the most effective node, the one I'm sat directly below. Unfortunately it's impossible for me to move the router further away but I wonder if there's some other method I could use to force the PC to use the extender rather than the signal from the router itself? Would switching the whole system to 802.11ac/5Ghz help, as I understand this lowers signal strength?

Any insight or advice would be very welcome.

Thanks

Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Devices connecting to router instead of EX6410 WiFi mesh extender and getting poor throughput

You could always disable the "one wifi" mesh option. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000044732/How-do-I-enable-or-disable-One-WiFi-Name-on-my-Nighthawk-Mesh-WiFi-...

That'd let you choose which ssid to connect to. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: Devices connecting to router instead of EX6410 WiFi mesh extender and getting poor throughput

You could always disable the "one wifi" mesh option. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000044732/How-do-I-enable-or-disable-One-WiFi-Name-on-my-Nighthawk-Mesh-WiFi-...

That'd let you choose which ssid to connect to. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7