Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Ethernet backhaul for two satellites with Nighthawk MK63

mHawk0676
Initiate

Ethernet backhaul for two satellites with Nighthawk MK63

I have a very straightforward question, and i genuinely hope to get a very simple and straightforward answer for the same.

I have a Netgear Nighthawk MK63 pack which consists of 1 Router (MR60) and 2 Satellite's (MS60).

So far i have been running on the latest firmware for the router and the satellite's (1.1.6.122) which was released in December 2021.

The MR60 is setup in AP mode as i have to use my ISP's provided router and cannot bypass it. My setup is as below

ISP Router --> 24 Port Gigabit Switch (unmanaged) --> Two CAT6 in each room, that's like 10 CAT6 points, one CAT6 point to MR 60 and another CAT6 point to MS60, so in total about 14 Ethernet ports are in use and all are running on GIGABIT as the router port light is Green and not Yellow.

My 2nd MS60 when connected to an Ethernet Cable (CAT6), gigabit capable, even then the connection between the 2nd Satellite and the Router stays on Wi-Fi only, even if i reset the power to the 2nd Satellite after connecting the CAT6 cable.

BUT, when i power of the entire setup and switch it back on, then either of the 2 Satellites will be connected via Ethernet to the Router and the other will be connected via Wi-Fi.

Long story short, both the Satellite's are unable to connect to the Router on Ethernet Backhaul which is absolute absurd since these models are Dual-Band and not Tri-Band which can afford to have a dedicated channel for Wi-Fi Backhaul.

Why would @netgear do this and how can this be resolved, i.e. connecting both Satellites via Ethernet Backhaul?

Also, Netgear just released a firmware update for the said models (1.1.6.124) and it has the exact same change log as it was for 1.1.6.122!! How careless is that!!

Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: Ethernet backhaul for two satellites with Nighthawk MK63

The problem is the switch is coming before the MR60. For the satellites to connect properly, they need to be connected on the lan side of the MR60. And the internet signal should be on the MR60's wan side. And it can't be both coming from the same switch. 

When I hook up mine, i go gateway---->router wan port------lan port------>switches----->satellites

Message 2 of 5
mHawk0676
Initiate

Okay, so if I do the setup the way you are suggesting, both my sattelites can work on ethernet backhaul simultaneously?

Or will one of them run on ethernet backhaul while the other continues to stay on WiFi backhaul?

Also, just trying to wrap my head around what you said, how would connecting the Router on LAN port or the Internet port possibly making a difference in the backhaul connection of both the sattelites?
Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

Because in a mesh system the router controls the satellites. The router is looking at the wan port for internet connection. 

the lan interface is going to be how its controlling/managing the satellites. 

You can use a wired backhaul for both satellites through the same switch, you just can't connect the router to the switch for both wan/lan. 

Thats why it goes router---->switch----->satellite/satellites

Message 4 of 5
zx9_r
Aspirant

I’ve had this issue for over a year on two different systems I setup.

It didn’t matter if the MR60 and MS60 were in access point mode with the MR60 only connected on the LAN side.

It would work until it does not then have to do the reboot roulette until it sorts it self out.

I was able to get rid of the devices that kept me from setting up the MR60 as a router.
I reset it and did new setup. MR60 was the router connected to modem. The LAN side of the MR60 connects to a switch which will connect to the MS60 LAN ports and other LAN devices. The LAN port of the ME60 is meant to connect to your LAN if you have one otherwise you can not have any wired systems.

But the MS60 will flood the network after a few days taking the internet down just like before even with latest updated firmware. Sometimes both will show connected to LAN with no IP. Most of the time both MS60 will not connect via Ethernet backhaul. One will be wireless or not connect. And sometimes the other that did take the LAN will switch to wireless. Which would mean it’s just a matter of time before it takes the network down.

This is not a switch issue. This is a MR60 and MS60 issue.

I unplugged both LAN’s from the MS60 as it’s not worth the headache to try to improve backhaul performance when it will just take your network down which ends up defeating the purpose.

Currently the fastest setup is wireless backhaul and the LAN ports can be used for devices that do not have wireless and you want to plug into the LAN.

Unless you have 1000Mbit internet you may not notice a performance drop. Even then single device performance is unlikely to use all your bandwidth unless plugged into the LAN anyways and if you do need the improved performance then the tri-band will be the way to go.

The MR60 and MS60 are still better option for a lot of people over their provided wireless router with access points. The improved response from devices that will connect to the closest MS60 will be a huge improvement. Doorbells and cameras will open almost instantly anyways on the app from inside and outside the house.

While the backhaul can add a few advanced users possible improved performance with large data transfers over the LAN most people even without LAN backhaul would notice a improved response from remote devices espeacally doorbells and external cameras due to WiFi having to penetrate the outside wall and you want the MS60 probably in the room closest to the front door in case of the doorbell example.

Currently it’s not worth leaving the LAN plugged in for the backhaul on the MS60 and unplugging them will improve reliability.

That’s just my opinion.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7