Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Re: Ethernet backhaul for two satellites with Nighthawk WiFi 6 Mesh RBK62/63

James_C
Follower

Ethernet backhaul for two satellites with Nighthawk WiFi 6 Mesh RBK62/63

Is it possible to use two Nighthawk satellites (MS60) wired (using ethernet backhaul) to one router (MR60) via an ethernet switch?

Ethernet backhaul is supported by Nighhawk RBK62/63

(according to this: https://kb.netgear.com/000061710/What-is-an-Ethernet-backhaul-connection-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-m...)

However the article linked above states:

Note: The MK63 comes with two satellites. Only one of the two satellites can be connected to your router with a wired Ethernet backhaul connection.

I'm unclear if this is because the router only has one ethernet port or for some other reason.

If I wire the single ethernet port of the router (MR60) to a gigabit ethernet switch (NETGEAR GS116 ProSafe 16-Port Unmanaged Gigabit Ethernet Switch) then run two ethernet cables from the switch to each of the two satellites (MS60 x 2) will this work correctly?

If so, is any additional configuration needed? The Netgear support link above doesn't suggest it is.

Thank you!

PS: Netgear, your dropdown model list for this form is out of date and does not include MK62 or MK63 as far as I could see.

Message 1 of 24
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi James_C, 

We have not received reports of the MR60/MS60 not being compatible with a switch. You should be able to accomplish this. 

Christian 

Message 2 of 24
mjcalabrese
Apprentice

I am also looking to connect my MR60 and MS60 using Ethernet Backhaul but (since I have no cabling in my home) by using Powerline Adapters and Netgear GS105NA 5-port GigE LAN switches between the devices.  I have seen no instructions on how to connect them other than the picture of the two devices connected with a 2-foot cable between them ... I have MK62-100NAS running 1.0.4.92 firmware level.

On initial install, the MR60 was setup on channel 11 (2.4) and 153 (5.0), but the MS60 was using Channel 7 (2.4) and 153 on the 5.0) ... after several reboots and syncs they now match -- channel 11 and 153.  Not sure why any 2.4 Ghz device would use channels other than 1-6-11, but these sure did and there is no way to set the channels on the MS60 ...

Message 3 of 24
mjcalabrese
Apprentice

So, just a follow-up on this topic, that I have my MR60 and MS60 connected via Ethernet Backhaul now ... It was pretty simple (and yet complicated).  My MR60 is connected to a GS105 Unmanaged 5-port GigE switch and that is connected to a Powerline adapter.  The MS60 is connected to a 3rd Powerline Adapter directly and because the MR60 and MS60 were connected via 5GHz already, they just converted to the Ethernet connection without any issue(s).

Message 4 of 24
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thanks for the update and happy to hear you got it up and running!

Christian 

Message 5 of 24
mjcalabrese
Apprentice

as a follow-up on this topic.  I replaced the powerline adapters with an Ethernet cable (cost more than the PL adapters, but now I am power-failure resistant).  Also, the added benefit of this is the MS60 now enjoys the same WiFI speeds as the MR60 end does.  The Powerline adapters would constanntly shift speeds and sometimes fall below 50MB, so that was just throttling me.

Message 6 of 24
smithg38
Aspirant

Hi @mjcalabrese 

I've recently taken delivery of a Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6 MK62 and have the MR60 router connected to my Nighthawk D7800 (set to modem only mode), via a Netgear GS108 switch, with the satellite unit MS60 connected wirelessly to the MR60 router.

All works well and I'm firm believer of 'if it aint broke, don't try to fix it', however, my house is CAT6 cabled and I am considering connecting the satellite unit to an ethernet point feeding back to my GS108 switch.

I see that you are making use of ethernet to your satellite unit, have you noticed any difference in performance at all, either good or bad and is it worth using ethernet over WiFi in this instance?

TIA

Message 7 of 24
mjcalabrese
Apprentice

Yes. I am seeing a big difference at the MS60 end. I am seeing the same speeds as at the MR60 end now that I am using Ethernet Backhaul. Please see my previous post(s) on the speed changes.
Message 8 of 24
smithg38
Aspirant

Thank you @mjcalabrese , I now know what I'll be doing this afternoon.

Message 9 of 24
smithg38
Aspirant

Sorry to ask another question @mjcalabrese, but could i get some advice here please.

I have connected my MS60 by ethernet and the statics show a solid connection at 1000M on my MS60 WAN port. However the WLAN Backhaul is also connected and being used, is that expected to be the case or should I expect it to now not be used as there is an ethernet connection?

The MS60 WLAN Backhaul connection shows active Tx and Rx packets.

Also when I check the wireless transfer rate it doesn't appear to have increased any beyond 866.7M (info from inSSIDer), as it was without being connected by ethernet.

Was this your experience when changing to ethernet or did you have to change any settings?

Thanks again.

Message 10 of 24
mjcalabrese
Apprentice

@smithg38 I did not make any changes to the MR60 or the MS60. I did connect to the MR60/Router via browser and watched the Attached Devices. The Connected Satellite went from 5G to Wired connection type. BTW, I also set a static IP address for the MS60 so I know it’s IP (x.x.x.2) all the time.

The Show Statistics you are looking at for WLAN Backhaul is probably a backup link that pings the MR60 from time to time to be sure its there if needed (like a hot standby if I had to guess).

Hope this helps.

Message 11 of 24
mjcalabrese
Apprentice

@smithg38, sorry. I forgot your last comment. The wireless transfer rate. Is that to the Internet or to the Satellite? I would assume that if to the Satellite that might be the fastest speed you can negotiate 802.11ac vs 802.11ax, but if it’s to the Internet then I would suggest you try both methods of Backhaul with increased loads of 5.0GHz traffic and as you add more, you’ll see the Ethernet will be faster (no traffic to share with the 5G WiFi.
Message 12 of 24
supernitin
Aspirant

I hooked up my satellites with ethernet via Moca adapters. I verified the Moca adapters are workign fine. However, In NightHawk setup the status of the satellites still says "5G Wireless." Should not they say wired if everything is working properly?

Message 13 of 24
mjcalabrese
Apprentice

@supernitin, yes it should show wired if they are using the Ethernet backhaul. I have the MS60 and MR60 connected to the same GS105 GigE LAN switch and I’m see I am connected as Wired.
Message 14 of 24
supernitin
Aspirant

I do see that now. However, why does 1 say "Netgear Router" and the other "Netgear Satellite" for the "Connected Netgear" setting?

BTW my objective in all of this is to reduce congestion on the wifi network - especially from non-Wifi6 devices. Am I being silly and holding on to old tech? Should I just dump the Moca adapters and use wireless for backhaul?

Message 15 of 24
mjcalabrese
Apprentice

Ethernet backhaul is definitely the way to go (at least until WiFi6E/WiFi7 in the upcoming years. )

If you use 5G backhaul, you will have to share bandwidth with all your other 5G devices with Ethernet, its all dedicated bandwidth unless you have lots of wired connections sharing a switch/switches.
Message 16 of 24
Gotchaa
Aspirant

Can anyone confirm if this works over a switched managed network on the same vlan/subnet while in AP MODE ONLY? While these devices are not on the same physical switch they are reachable on the same network, there is zero filtering going on the ports they are connected to.

I have it setup as following:
1. MR60 AP Model Only

2. Internet by ISP<--Cable Modem<--MX68 firewall<---MR60 Internet port, MR60 LAN port to---> Switch-1-MS220-8P

3. MS60 ethernet port connect to another switch---> Switch-2-MS220-8P.

Both have IPs on the network, yet it's showing 5G for the backhaul. 

The MS60 is NOT using ethernet for the backhaul, how do I force it to ethernet? Set it to routed mode?

Netgear should allow editing the backhaul setting to toggle 5G or ethernet

Any input would be appreciated, it should not be this difficult to use ethernet as backhaul. Documentation is poor.

Message 17 of 24
Gotchaa
Aspirant

@Gotchaa wrote:

Can anyone confirm if this works over a switched managed network on the same vlan/subnet while in AP MODE ONLY? While these devices are not on the same physical switch they are reachable on the same network, there is zero filtering going on the ports they are connected to.

I have it setup as following:
1. MR60 AP Model Only

2. Internet by ISP<--Cable Modem<--MX68 firewall<---MR60 Internet port, MR60 LAN port to---> Switch-1-MS220-8P

3. MS60 ethernet port connect to another switch---> Switch-2-MS220-8P.

Both have IPs on the network, yet it's showing 5G for the backhaul. 

The MS60 is NOT using ethernet for the backhaul, how do I force it to ethernet? Set it to routed mode?

Netgear should allow editing the backhaul setting to toggle 5G or ethernet

Any input would be appreciated, it should not be this difficult to use ethernet as backhaul. Documentation is poor.

Okay so what I did was I disabled AP only mode, reboot, then re-enabled AP only mode, and now the MS60 is showing wired. Lets see if it stays this way or not.

Message 18 of 24
necotxino
Aspirant

I have not seen your question being answered. I have the MR60 with two satellites. I connected both with Ethernet cables. Only one is showing wired connection. The other, I have rebooted, changed cable, etc... still shows 5G wireless. Frustrating.
Message 19 of 24
Gotchaa
Aspirant

What I have determined is that on a managed switch, the Ethernet port connected will cause spanning tree to go into blocking mode because its learning address on both the MS or MR Ethernet as well as any uplink trunk port for that managed switch. When the switch detects this, you get MAC address flapping if you have spamming tree disabled, when rtsp protection is enabled, it works as designed and blocks the MS60s Ethernet backhaul port, it results in falling back to wireless for the backhaul. The only successful wired connection I have found to work consistently is a direct ethernet connection between the MR and MS backhaul switches. This is in AP mode only.
Message 20 of 24
necotxino
Aspirant

This is very frustrating. I have been fighting with this system since yesterday. Constant disconnects, speed drops... I need it as a managed, not AP. I’m already of a half mind to return it. Quite disappointed.
Message 21 of 24
seagar
Aspirant

Can someone validate if they have a working setup for the MK63 3 device mesh for wired backhaul in AP mode?  When both the Internet and Ethernet port of the MR60 are connected to the switch, I believe it creates a broadcast storm.  When just connecting the Internet port, Wired Backhaul doesn't appear to be used.  When just connecting the Ethernet port it seems to "work," but all APs show offline in the app and all show amber lights.

Again, speeds near the client nodes appear to be leveraging wired backhaul although the system doesn't seem to realize it.  Can someone from the Netgear team confirm whether BOTH ports can be connected to the same switch to accomplish this or if only one will work?

Thanks

Message 22 of 24
necotxino
Aspirant

Not sure I truly understood your question, but will share what i have in case it helps.

FIOS 1gb internet with their router.  Ethernet connection to main Orbi router, and ethernet from there to first of a series of unmanaged switches (I try to use cables for computers, nas and tvs).  Two satellites connected to two of those switches.  Mesh is therefore connected via wire backhaul. I do not use the second port in the satellites (and only one in the router, plus the input in the wan port).

System is overall very fast and reliable.  We are all teleworking (multiple laptops, tables and phones connected at all time, plus a few other IoTs).  Everything works very well for the last month since installed.  Very pleased with this mesh system overall.

Hope this is helpful. 

Message 23 of 24
mrbeams
Guide

I have been running an MR60 with 2 MS60 satellites through gigabit switches for about 9 months.  works great.
MR60 - TL-SG108E - TL-SG108E - 2 MS60 satellites

Downstairs                -  Upstairs

Message 24 of 24
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7