Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Ex7300 location

Rsc65
Follower

Ex7300 location

I am trying to extend WiFi to a detached garage. The only location for the EX7300 that will deliver a useable signal to the garage is on an electrical outlet on the porch of the house. The porch is covered, but not heated. So it is protected from moisture but not temperature extremes. Can you tell me what the temperature parameters for the unit are and if it is acceptable to place the unit in such a location? 

Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: Ex7300 location

How far from the home is the detached garage? And what is the exterior wall of the garage made from?

Just trying to check to see if an extender is a practical solution before buying it. (or do you already have one). 

Per the manual, its recommended operating temps are 32-104 degrees F. 

But most devices can operate outside of this a little bit. My RBS50Y routinely gets way below freezing in my garage but still works. 

(its outdoor rated)

the problem will come because even though its covered from moisture, the ex7300 is still going to get cold/warm on and off and will create its own moisture. Or from weather as well. So its lifespan will be short unless you put it in some type of weather proof box that has venting for cooling. 

Even if you do that,if the range is to far for the ex7300 or the garage is made from metal that blocks wifi, that might not be an ideal solution. 

there's outdoor rated point to point systems you can use, or you can invest the time/energy and bury an underground rated ethernet wire between the 2. Thens you simply put an access point in the garage. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7