Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Extending R7000p

Tgpine
Tutor

Extending R7000p

Hi it seems like every situation is unique so here is mine. 

R7000p

firmware v1.3.1.64

download 100mbs  9mbs up 5gHz network

86 mbs 9mbs up 2.4 gHz 

I wish to extend my network 60 feet to a new garage I have built. Garage walls wood with drywall. Cabin has wood walls   I could connect an extender with ether  WiFi or Ethernet running out of the R7000p. The R 7000 is currently about 80 ft from garage and I obtain 3mbs (2.4gHz network) inside the garage near a window. My hope is to have speeds in garage of 20 mbs or higher. I could run a cable to garage but hoping to avoid the cost. 
Seems like mesh router would help but looking for advice on which mesh router, using Ethernet vs WiFi, or if would you think I would need another extender in the garage( 250 sq living space).

thanks so much for helping. Tgpine

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Extending R7000p

I wouldn't "break into it" / use a splitter. 

Just get a simple 4-5 port gigabit switch and connect it. then run one cable to the cabin and the other to where the cable was going

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 9

All Replies
plemans
Guru

What extender are you using? 

did you mount it in the house or in the garage? 

You're kind of in a catch 22. For more than 1 reason. Here's why.

1. Extenders by their very nature drop throughput 50%. Reason why is they have to revieve and retransmit using the same radio chip. this can be mitigated a bit using fastlane. Or by using a triband extender which reserves 1 of the 5ghz bands just for router----extender communication. but it still takes a little hit.

Plus if you daisy chain extenders (router----extender----extender), the 2nd extender is at 25% throughput of the orignial signal speed. 

2. Distance. you're not at an insurmountable distance. But it is challenging. Its probably to far for just an extender in the garage. Potentially you could try placing the router in a window closest to the garage to see if eliminating a wall and getting it closer to the garage helps. Otherwise you could try an extender at the edge of the home and then another in the garage. but keep in mind your speed losses. 

3. Price. by the time you add 2 extenders and factor in loss of speeds, buring a underground cable might be cheaper and more useful in the long term. Especially if you do it yourself. 

does the garage have power ran off the home? without a seperate junction box? if so, you could check into a powerline adapter and see if it'd work.

or even a moca adapter (ethernet over coax)

If it was further, I'd recommend going with a point to point system like airbridge. its a bit more expensive but not super expensive if you're having to bury a long cable or are out of reach of ethernet. 

Message 2 of 9
Tgpine
Tutor

Plemans thanks for the response

I have not bought an extender yet.  That is what I was planning on next and was looking for guidance.

I figure I can return the extender if it doesn't work. 

The power to the garage does not come from the house comes directly from pedestal

I was hoping to try this out before the decision on running the cable was needed.

The electrician will be running some wiring from the house (3 way garage light switch)so I would run the wire when he is running that. Want to have ring camera in garage also. 

I could place the extender very near a window and have run a long Ethernet cable to that location or over WiFi. I imagine Ethernet is better?  But is there an issue the extender with Ethernet vs WiFi?

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 3 of 9
plemans
Guru

@Tgpine wrote:

Plemans thanks for the response

I have not bought an extender yet.  That is what I was planning on next and was looking for guidance.

I figure I can return the extender if it doesn't work. 

The power to the garage does not come from the house comes directly from pedestal

I was hoping to try this out before the decision on running the cable was needed.

The electrician will be running some wiring from the house (3 way garage light switch)so I would run the wire when he is running that. Want to have ring camera in garage also. ----

I could place the extender very near a window and have run a long Ethernet cable to that location or over WiFi. I imagine Ethernet is better?  But is there an issue the extender with Ethernet vs WiFi?

If your electrician is already digging in a cable and is willing to let you drop in a ethernet wire for no extra charge, I'd do that everytime. Worth every penny as its going to have better performance, more stability, and better paths for upgrade in the future.

Again, not sure if they'd charge or not but the cable is <$100. And that's close to the price of 1 decent performing range extender. 

Daisy chaining wifi is a way to have spotty, unreliable, slow speeds. You could probably make it work fine but it might cost more than dropping in the cable and using an extender or older router in access point mode in the garage. You're ring camera would appreciate it and so will you. 

Message 4 of 9
Tgpine
Tutor

Plemans, 

Well that makes life easier. I am in a rural area and the electrician was just going to run it off the cable box. I think he was talking about RG 6. Do you see any issues with this?  He has told me before, "l do not know much about that internet stuff", so he does not exactly breed confidence. Just need internet, stream TV. 

thanks again 

tgpine

Message 5 of 9
plemans
Guru

RG6 is coax wire, not ethernet. 

If your cable box enters the home, he can run a direct burial ethernet cable and just poke it in the house at the cable box entry point. 

something like this. 

https://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Waterproof-Ethernet-Direct-Shielded/dp/B06XSV65TG?th=1

Message 6 of 9
plemans
Guru

underground RG6 could be used and a little cheaper but then you'd need moca adapters (ethernet over coax). So probably more expensive in the long run.
Message 7 of 9
Tgpine
Tutor

Okay feeling closer to solution. I am in a 100 year old cabin. I was able to run a Ethernet cable from my R7000p on the first floor through the basement to another location also on the first floor. I can not run another Ethernet from the R 7000p as there is not enough space in the chase way.  I could break into this Ethernet in the basement and then through a splitter run one to the garage and reconnect the Ethernet net run I broke into?  Issues? Thoughts?

tgpine

Message 8 of 9
plemans
Guru

I wouldn't "break into it" / use a splitter. 

Just get a simple 4-5 port gigabit switch and connect it. then run one cable to the cabin and the other to where the cable was going

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7