Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Re: Firmware update not showing in auto-update

in2ndo
Apprentice

Firmware update not showing in auto-update

Hello everyone, 

I just bought and installed a Nighthawk MK83 / 3600 router .  current version on the rounter web page and iOS app.  is V1.1.4.6 and version on the negear site 1.1.5.4 . 

Is there a reason for this?  I've run the check on the router's webpage and the iOS app and it says there is no update. I know I could download them and do it manually I guess.  but I'm trying to avoid that. to not create possible problems.  and I think if there is an update available. it should be happening automatically if that is how the router has been set up. 

Thank you. 

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

In my experience on here, if you're hardwired in, the manual update has less errors/corrupt firmware issues. 

It tends to be when it auto-updates, when done over wifi, or when done via the app that we see corrupt firmware issues. 

its why its one of the most frequent recommendations (manual update over hardwired connection)

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

sometimes the manual update server sees/gets the update before the auto update server. 

You can manually update. If you do so, update the satellites first, then the router. 

Message 2 of 6
in2ndo
Apprentice

That did cross my mind.  but since June? doesn't netgear have a computer set all this up?  or someone uploads them to the different servers manually. ... LOL.  

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

what modem/gateway is it connected to? 

I've seen times where a double nat causes the auto-update not to function properly

Message 4 of 6
in2ndo
Apprentice

Thanks for the reply.  the modem is from spectrum cable.  and is a plain modem.  doesn't have routing capabilities.  I just did the manual update and went smoothly.  hopefully I wont have to do that again.  by experience.  the manual updates tend to have issues more often. 

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

In my experience on here, if you're hardwired in, the manual update has less errors/corrupt firmware issues. 

It tends to be when it auto-updates, when done over wifi, or when done via the app that we see corrupt firmware issues. 

its why its one of the most frequent recommendations (manual update over hardwired connection)

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7