Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Getting a wired gig connection on the router seems impossible

mjmohsen
Aspirant

Getting a wired gig connection on the router seems impossible

Hey all, 

I have a Nighthawk Mesh WIFI 6 router with 2 satellites, and so far it has worked wonderfully well.

Today I was finally able to update my fiber connection to 1 gig from my ISP, and I'm not getting teh expected performance on the router.

I get around 550Mbps at the router port. (acording to teh speedtest on the QoS page. (QoS turned on or off makes no difference)

When i bypass the router and connect my cable from my ISP directly to my computer, i got up to 1.3 Gbps.

Any ideas on what the issue could be?

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
mjmohsen
Aspirant

Re: Getting a wired gig connection on the router seems impossible

Here's how I solved my speed issue:

I have an older R8300 router, that i set to factory settings, and while it also doesn't recognize the speed is full gig, it strill transmits that to my wired computers

I now use the Mesh 6 system as an access point for the other router.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 9

All Replies
knightz01
Apprentice

@mjmohsen 

No help from the data sheet that I can find as it only states 'Experience the next generation of WiFi 6, perfect for medium to large homes up to 4,500sq.ft.† and internet speeds over 100Mbps, I'm on 500Mbt & expecting an upgrade soon so would be interested in knowing the limitations 

knightz01 (Kev)

Message 2 of 9
plemans
Guru

which actual system do you have? There's several wifi 6 mesh versions. 

What fibre gateway was installed? 

you can try factory resetting the primary router and then reinstall it. During the install, leave access control, traffic monitoring, qos, and parental controls all disabled. Try testing the speed after the install and minimum changes to the settings. 

Message 3 of 9
mjmohsen
Aspirant

The NightHawk one, Models are MR60, and 2 MS60s (router and 2 satellites)

The gateway is irrelevant as the signal coming in has the correct speed, and the issue only happens on the router itself. If you must know, the fiber signal comes from Ziply Fiber.

I'll try refreshing the router to factory settings,

Message 4 of 9
plemans
Guru

Gateway isn't "irrelevant". 

If its a gateway with its own integrated router, it could be using its own form of qos to limit speeds. 

Its why we ask. 

Message 5 of 9
mjmohsen
Aspirant

Fair enough, however there is no gateway, there is only the signal that comes straight from teh fiber to the modem outside the house.

The ISP confirmed there is a gig connect at the ONT, which is passed on to my ethernet cable inside the house.

Just in case I had not mentioned it clearly, if I bypass the router entirely, then I get full signal (i.e. when i wire the cable directly to a computer)

Thanks for taking the time to asnwer @plemans 

Message 6 of 9
plemans
Guru

Again, some ont's have an integrated router. 

Easy check? put the router in Access point mode. If it works and all devices work, the ont has an integrated router. 

if you can't connect, then factory reset the router and start over. 

Message 7 of 9
mjmohsen
Aspirant

Cool, I'll try that real quick.

Message 8 of 9
mjmohsen
Aspirant

Here's how I solved my speed issue:

I have an older R8300 router, that i set to factory settings, and while it also doesn't recognize the speed is full gig, it strill transmits that to my wired computers

I now use the Mesh 6 system as an access point for the other router.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7