Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Re: Having Issue with MS80 Satellite (Dropping Speeds) (MK83)

Akomix
Guide

Having Issue with MS80 Satellite (Dropping Speeds) (MK83)

Just setup my MR80 Router and two MS80 Satellites a couple of days ago. 

Noticing quite a few issues with the satelite I have hardwired to my desktop. Generally, I'm getting 230 Mbps through the Satellite. However, after some time P2P downloading, I'm getting 10 Mbps on every device connected to the satellite. This is persistent until I reboot (sometimes doesn't fix) or change a setting at the router (again, sometimes doesn't always fix). 

Firmware: V1.1.5.4_3.1.91

20/40 MHz Coexistenec is Unchecked

Preamble Mode: Short

SSID Broadcast, BEAMFORMING, MU-MIMO, Enable AX are all enabled. 

After some exhaustive searching it seems no one has a good solution for this other than returning, so I wanted to ask here before returning. I've always used NETGEAR products, but so far this is leaving a lot to be desired. 

Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

A couple things you can try. 

1. upgrade the MS80 to version 1.1.6.4

2. unless you live in the country with no one around like coexistence checked. 

3. try a factory reset/reinstall of the satellite

It only happens to the satellite? 

And the hardwired connection drops as well? 

Everything with the router stays fine?

Message 2 of 8
Akomix
Guide

Thanks for the response.

I'll upgrade the firmware, but I'm not super hopefull it will help. 

Yes, it only happens at teh satellite itself, still full speed at the main router and other satellite. I tried swapping satellites and it still happened. Yep, both hardwired and wireless connection drops to an abysmall speed. Yep, everything at the router is A-okay when this happens. 

EDIT - wanted to add an update and say my internal network speed also plummets into the low KB/s range while this is occuring. 

Message 3 of 8
Akomix
Guide

Just as another update, 

I've discovered that this doesn't just occur when utilizing P2P connections. This occurs regardless after an extended period of time. It is still only affecting 1 satellite when it occurs (conveniently mine) and still requires a reboot at the Router to rectify and get back to full speeds. 

I have another MK83 set today and am going to swap everything and see if that fixes it. If not, I'll have to look at a different solution. Restarting the router everytime this happens is not ideal. 

Message 4 of 8
plemans
Guru

so the internet network speeds go down but you also put the router runs fine. 

Which is it? 

Message 5 of 8
Akomix
Guide

I don't think I ever mispoke. The speeds from the one satellite are the ones dropping and not just internet, also internal network speeds stemming from this satellite. The speeds from the router itself have been fine as I can run the speedtest from the router, and my phone connected to it, and it gets full speeds. However, it still requires a router reboot to restore the slow speeds affecting the satellite. 

I tried swapping satellites from the one I have in the basement and it failed to stop this from occuring. 

Message 6 of 8
Akomix
Guide

Just as an update. I ordered a replacement set of router and satellites. Once the new set was installed I haven't had the issue happen again; which may point to an original faulty set I had. 

Fingers crossed for smooth sailing from here. 

Message 7 of 8
Bobbeux
Aspirant

So are you still ok with your new replaced router? I just bought same stuff yesterday and got the same problem...
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7