Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Re: Help with changing MR 60 IP address

internetman23
Follower

Help with changing MR 60 IP address

Due to a recent problem, I need to reset the IP address. 

With my old router which had a dynamic IP address i'd just restart it and it would be fine, but this has a static IP address. 

How do i change it to dynamic IP address or just change the IP address directly?

Thanks so much for your help

Model: XRM570|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router and Mesh WiFi System
Message 1 of 3
schumaku
Guru

There is not much to "reset" on an IP address.

Wild guess - lack of information - is that you talk of the public IP address typically assigned dynamically by most ISPs. The related control on your router is here:

Home > Basic > Internet

The options available are:

Select an Internet IP Address radio button:
• Get Dynamically from ISP. Your ISP uses DHCP to assign your IP address. Your
ISP automatically assigns these addresses.
• Use Static IP Address. Enter the IP address, IP subnet mask, and the gateway IP
address that your ISP assigned. The gateway is the ISP router to which your router
connects.

On most ISP networks, and for most usage, "Get Dynamically from ISP" is mandatory, just very few - effectively almost no - exceptions.

Well possible, your router will still receive the same IP address from the ISP following a reboot. More and more ISP gave up the random IP addresses (from the relevant IP subnet of course), and continue to hand out the same IP address to the same connection. This is done to avoid abuse, to relief from high load on the edge routers, ... If the problem is that your public IP is banned on a certain host, application or service, talk to the service provider or operator.

Message 2 of 3
knightz01
Apprentice

@internetman23 

Go down to where @schumaku has shown and under Router mac address tick use this MAC address, or computer mac address, enter say maybe your old router address?, and then reboot Modem and MR60, with a different mac address your ISP should give out a new IP address to what it considers to be a new bit of kit

Not tried this myself but hope this helps?

Kev 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7