Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Re: HomePod Mini Not working on MR60 Mesh WHEN Satellites are NOT Plugged in

jaymz69
Apprentice

HomePod Mini Not working on MR60 Mesh WHEN Satellites are NOT Plugged in

After working with Apple support on this we came to the conclusion that the homepod mini can airplay fine (my Apple TV too) ONLY when none of the satilites are powered on. Works for all the AirPlay from any device - once I have the satilite(s) powered on the AirPlay will not work. Apple said that is on the Netgear's seetings somewhere and contact them So any one ese have this issue? 

Thank you,

James

Message 1 of 121

Accepted Solutions
Arkhyle
Tutor

When you upgrade/downgrade, always do it satellite first, router after:

103 beta for MR60 https://ntgr.my.salesforce.com/sfc/p/300000000xsV/a/0y00000056JP/J38PBLjMmRLFiBA.rZ3qMk516lZy0vHSpvB...

103 beta for MS60:
https://ntgr.my.salesforce.com/sfc/p/300000000xsV/a/0y00000056JQ/68c76CRT0ugwEUuOpPyVBJVosFw8z36VQqT...

According to their support the fix should come in next firmware, in between you can try this.

View solution in original post

Message 103 of 121

All Replies
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi James,

If you recently purchased the device I would recommend contacting our support team as newly purchased devices are provided with 90 days of complimentary support. You may open a ticket by registering your device using the link below. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Christian 

Message 2 of 121
jaymz69
Apprentice

Looks like I have no coverage though - I bought back in November 2020 for almost $300 and yet left alone. Only place it lets me get help is asking the Q in the community forum 😞 

Thanks for the suggestion.

James

Message 3 of 121
TroyCo
Tutor

If it helps, I have the same issue with airplaying. Sometimes it does work when the homepods and phone happen to connect to the same router / satellite. Hopefully they update the firmware and resolve this issue. 

Message 4 of 121
jaymz69
Apprentice

I talked to them on the weekend but I was out of the house. So they will call me back this Tuesday. They said the official satellite had Eli g is Netgear. Their router is not ha doing the hand offs. He did have one more thing to try but that will be on Tuesday they said.

I can turn off the the two satires and it works fine. Even my Apple TV and iPad have the same issue too. That’s why they say it’s Netgear. They pulled all the logs off my phone when we tried it the other day and they called back a week later saying that on the call after looking through my iPhone 12 logs.
Message 5 of 121
mdt4179
Initiate

I have one of the original Homepods and I'm having the same issue. It works totally fine when the homepod is connected to the router, but does not work when connected to the sattelite. Has anyone found a fix for this? Is there a way to always have the homepod connect to the router rather than the sattelite?

Message 6 of 121
jaymz69
Apprentice

I have a ticket open with Apple now on this and that’s the same situation when we try to troubleshoot it once the satellites are off HomePod Apple TV iPod basically the airplay works perfect but once you get a satellite plugged in at airplay craps out they told me that’s on the Netgear but I can’t get a hold of anybody and Netgear says I have no warrantee I just bought it six months ago and I can’t even get the support or the help so it’s very frustrating can’t even return it the router that is.
Message 7 of 121
jaymz69
Apprentice

Anybody from Netgear monitoring this really need to resolve this and need some help and support just can’t get a hold of anybody at Netgear to the resources that are available online Apple need to talk figure this out with you guys and it keeps pointing to next year’s satellite.
Message 8 of 121
bollee23
Tutor

Just bought an HomePod mini yesterday and noticed immediately that transferring audio from iPhone to HomePod didn't work (while being closer to the satellite MS60 than the router MR60)... except when I was far from the HomePod (maybe meaning that my iPhone was connected on the router MR60 and HomePod on the satellite MS60...). HomePod seems to work great when using Siri but Airplay streaming is completely messed up.

Message 9 of 121
jaymz69
Apprentice

Same for me and waiting for Apple engineers to call back.... 

Message 10 of 121
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Community,

May you confirm that you're on the firmware version below and let me know if your issue persists. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000062202/MR60-MS60-Firmware-Version-1-0-6-102

Christian 

Message 11 of 121
jaymz69
Apprentice

I am on version: V1.0.6.110 on router and satalites. 

Message 12 of 121
jaymz69
Apprentice

Also had another engineer call with Apple today. Once I unplug the satilites the AitPLay works pefrects on all devi es as they shoyld. BUT, once I opug back in the satillites the AirPlay on ANY device does not work. Apple says this proves it is a Netgear's issue and they cannot help anymore until Netgear gives any suggetions. Unfortunately I bought this last 9/2020 and the warranty ran out on 12/2020 - but I did not get the HomePod mini until 2/2021. 

@Christian_R 

Message 13 of 121
bollee23
Tutor

Hi,

also V1.0.6.110 on router and satelites

Message 14 of 121
jaymz69
Apprentice

1. This is what I am on for Firmaware when I log in.

2. I also keep trying to turn OFF the security for 'NEATGEAR Armor' but it always times out on me with the error taking longer than 60 seconds.

•  
  •  
My Router: Nighthawk MR60      

Firmware Version V1.0.6.110_2.0.49

@Christian_R

Message 15 of 121
jimjohn101
Aspirant

I am also having this issue on firmware version 1.0.6.102

Message 16 of 121
jaymz69
Apprentice

We need someone from netgear to step in and help on this issue. But no one will help me unless I pay for support. Just does not make any sense Netgear! I been using them for years but when I need them I cannot get help.
Message 17 of 121
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello NETGEAR Community,

Our engineering team is aware of the reports regarding the MR60 and HomePod Mini. We currently do not have further details or an ETA on the next firmware release. 

Regards,

Christian 

Message 18 of 121
GregCro
Guide

Reporting that I am having the exact same issue. Homepod Mini works just fine when the satellite is unplugged, but with the router and satellite plugged in AirPlay and handoff will not work at all.

My MR60 is on firmware v1.0.6.102.

Message 19 of 121
phawk
Aspirant

I've also been struggling with airplay to the home pod mini using mr60 + 1 satellite. If it's useful to help reproduce or diagnose, I've just found a solution that worked, courtesy of this forum:

https://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=76&topicid=284015

Turning off private address on the iPhone suddenly allowed it to connect to the homepod and airplay + handoff.

Hope a fix can come out soon.  

Message 20 of 121
GregCro
Guide

Thanks. I tried turning off the private IP, but it didn't seem to fix the issues all the time. According to Netgear (social media team) a firmware update is in testing which would resolve the issue.

Message 21 of 121
Ntlope
Tutor

I'm having a similar issue where the Apple remote app on my iphone never finds the Apple TV.  Also, I can't make phone calls from my Mac Mini because it says my iphone needs to be on the same wifi network (it is).  Hopefully this gets fixed on a firmware update soon!

Message 22 of 121
Ntlope
Tutor

All apple switching works if I switch off the MS60 satellites.  So frustrating.  I almost bought a service contract with Netgear to try and fix it and it turns out it's just a bug.

Message 23 of 121
GregCro
Guide

If anyone at Netgear cares (certainly doesn't seem so), this issue is also impacting my ability to connect to a corporate VPN. When the satellite is plugged in, I am constantly kicked off the VPN. When the satellite is unplugged I get a solid VPN connection for hours and hours. Very repeatable results.

Message 24 of 121
jaymz69
Apprentice

@Christian_R  any more back on this issue? I cannot even take advantage and use all of the Netgear Mesh System in my home due to this issue.

Message 25 of 121
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7