Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Re: HomePod Mini Not working on MR60 Mesh WHEN Satellites are NOT Plugged in

Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello jamz69,

We recently re-published firmware v1.0.6.110. May you reinstall the firmware version linked below. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000063755/MR60-MS60-Firmware-Version-1-0-6-110

Christian 

Message 26 of 121
jaymz69
Apprentice

@Christian_R I am uploading the firmaware 1-by-1 through the GUI now. I will update the ticket once all is updated and run the test on HomePod Mini.

Thank you

Message 27 of 121
MELso76
Aspirant

I figured I may as well tack on my issue to this thread as I too am having problems with my new Netgear MK62 mesh kit when using my Homepods.

I recently purchased a MK62 Netgear mesh router (MR60) and satellite setup (MS60). Both devices have been updated to 1.0.6.110 (from https://kb.netgear.com/000063755/MR60-MS60-Firmware-Version-1-0-6-110).

I am having immense problems getting stereo playback on my two Homepods when the satellite is plugged in. Instead, only one Homepod plays music, while the other Homepod remains switched off. Both Homepods are located closer to the satellite than the router.

When I unplug the satellite, the Homepods play in stereo correctly (but then I have unreliable wifi at the back of my house).

I did not have issues using my previous Amplifi HD setup, suggesting it's a problem with how the Netgear is handling the mesh setup.

Message 28 of 121
MELso76
Aspirant

Further to my previous post, I have assigned static IPs to the two HomePods and this seems to have sorted the stereo playback issue (for now), suggesting there's an issue with DHCP or similar. (As an aside, I should not have to be assigning static IPs to devices to have them work properly.)

As for AirPlay, I too am finding that the Apple Private Address feature is conflicting with the ability to AirPlay through the mesh network. Once I turned the setting off, AirPlay worked properly. Netgear needs to review how its devices operate with this feature of iOS and update their firmware...

Message 29 of 121
jaymz69
Apprentice

I did the satlite and router manual formware install from the files thy sent in the link above and after that my AirPlay so far for the last couple days workd for once!!!!! @Christian_R  @MELso76 

Message 30 of 121
jaymz69
Apprentice

@MELso76 

I did what they wanted for the firmware patch and it works now for me - though I only have 1 HomePod Mini. 

Hello jamz69,

We recently re-published firmware v1.0.6.110. May you reinstall the firmware version linked below. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000063755/MR60-MS60-Firmware-Version-1-0-6-110

Christian 

Message 31 of 121
bollee23
Tutor

This firmware is just the one I already have (MR60 and MS60). How is it supposed to fix the issue ?

Message 32 of 121
jaymz69
Apprentice

The link they gave is the same FM name but it is updated code (not sure why they did not increment it) and after I followed the instructions for each satalite & router (Netgear Interface Update even said the same name and I said "Yes" install anyways) and once it was all updated, I tested out the AirPlay issues (even AirPlay to AppletTV or from the Mac it would have the same issue) and they worked perfect! Before it would not work at all, it would hang up and then not find it. 

@bollee23 

Message 33 of 121
GregCro
Guide

I have manually updated the firmware for both the main router and the satellite, and this has not fixed my Airplay issues. One Homepod mini seemed to be connected to the satellite and the other to the main router (they are both in my main bedroom where the satellite is located). Airplay to the Homepod mini connected to the router worked, but the other Homepod connected to the satellite did nothing. Once I unplugged the satellite Airplay and Handoff worked just fine, so in summary this update did not seem to fix the issue for me. 

Message 34 of 121
bollee23
Tutor

Thank you for your reply.

I finally tried to performed this manual update on both MR60 and MS60.

When I tried again to transfer music from my iphone to the homepod mini I though at first it has worked, but the song played less than 10sec and after it was impossible to command the homepod mini from the iphone. Same behaviour as before unfortunately. I guess that my iphone has switched from MR to MS or vice-versa (since I'm moving with it in my flat) explaining it works for a few seconds.

Message 35 of 121
jaymz69
Apprentice

Now I only have 1 HomePod Mini so far... I have no way of testing two of the same device and its communications.... Raise yours up with @Christian_R 

Message 36 of 121
joselior
Initiate

After suffering imense frustration for a month with this mesh wifi system, (which made my Sonos system and my Homepod stop airplaying and lose handoff, and crapped out my Apple TV close to the satellite, among other annoyances), I finally gave up and clicked return on my Amazon account. Just my luck, because it so happened that today was the last day to return it. However, I decided to dig deeper and found this forum. I started scrolling through the messages, at first with zero hope of a solution and then slowly gaining more and more hope. Netgear has a solution, and it seems to be working.

Unfortunately, the firmware upgrade solution posted by Christian DID NOT solve my issue. I still cannot airplay to my HomePod Mini, my Apple iphone remote won't work with one of my Apple TVs (the one next to the satellite), and my Apple Watch doesn't connect to that same Apple TV either now. Goodbye Apple Fitness...

It is a shame that Netgear royally messed this up. I will be going forward with my return, because after a month of incredible frustration, I'm done with this company. And I'm sorry, but I will spend the time adding yet another bad review on Amazon about this mesh system, with screenshots from my iPhone showing the errors it created.

I'm sorry for those who are stuck with this device and are unable to return it. I hope Netgear comes through for you.

P.S. - This is my second Netgear router and the previous one R7000 was disconnecting multiple times a day.

Message 37 of 121
jaymz69
Apprentice

@joselior Sorry to hear all your frustrations- I was having them too but unfortunately I was pass my return date and Netgear said too bad, but luckily it seemed they had a fix but never incremented the minor version which is odd?????

I only have one homePod Mini but plan to get another in a few months so I may find out more later taht this is not fixed as in what. you are seeing. But if you are still ithin your retrun date Netgear should still be in support then for a phone call and help. I was passed mine so Netgear jusr said go to a fotum (which is very un perfesional why a customer (and many more at this point) have the SAME issue yet nothing gts moed and finally a  fix they say but yet the same firmware version numbers?

I wish I Had the extra cash ort could still retrun my Netgear MR60 Mesh systems (3 piece) and get the one that Apple HomeKit is embeded in now and a new version of the hrdware came out; 'Erro', That would be my next move once I get money but that wont be for another 6 months as I am in online bootcamp and not working...  

Message 38 of 121
jaymz69
Apprentice

Also, Netgear Upper leadership probably does not even know of this and how LONG it has been going on or eben the firmware that never even changed its minor version for a patch for a bug, hmmmm..... Leadership?

Message 39 of 121
brendanc
Tutor

I also attempted the manual upgrade of firmware for both the router and the satellite. This resulted in Airplay working for about 10 mins or so until my Homepod connected to the Satellite. Once connected to the Satellite, it is visible from my phone but attempting to connect always fails. Unfortunately, it makes the MK62 system not fit for purpose.

@GregCro wrote:

I have manually updated the firmware for both the main router and the satellite, and this has not fixed my Airplay issues. One Homepod mini seemed to be connected to the satellite and the other to the main router (they are both in my main bedroom where the satellite is located). Airplay to the Homepod mini connected to the router worked, but the other Homepod connected to the satellite did nothing. Once I unplugged the satellite Airplay and Handoff worked just fine, so in summary this update did not seem to fix the issue for me. 

Message 40 of 121
fredb777
Aspirant

I also tried a manual update with the new firmware hotfix: https://kb.netgear.com/000063806/MR60-MS60-Firmware-Version-V1-0-6-112-Hot-Fix

No change...

Message 41 of 121
Ntlope
Tutor

No change for me either.  homePod still not working

Message 42 of 121
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello,

For those still experiencing issues with your HomePod and MR60, please send me a private message with the following info. I'd like for our support team to reach out for further assistance. 

Email:

Phone:

Preferred Contact Time: (including time zone)

Router Serial Number:

Current Firmware Version Installed: 

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 43 of 121
Ntlope
Tutor

Do we have a fix for this yet? Still not working
Message 44 of 121
Crt-crt
Tutor

I don't think it is fixed yet. I think they released a new updated firmware but that still didn't fix the problem. I am starting to think they are not able to fix this issue, but who know's.

Message 45 of 121
Dank003
Initiate

I have this same issue. It’s definitely the router. I spent a Looong time on the phone with support and there is no resolution, or even a hint of what’s going on.

It’s a shame since I have a bunch of different netgear business grade stuff and it’s always worked really well.

This is going to have to be returned. HomeKit, Airplay 2 and the audio setup just doesn’t work. I have been crawling the forums and it’s been going on for years.

Just FYI - it looks like there is progress but little hope.
Message 46 of 121
Ntlope
Tutor

Looks like V1.0.6.116 didn't fix the problem either

Message 47 of 121
Crt-crt
Tutor

Btw, I confirm there IS a fix. They have a firmware in testing which the customer support agent sent me. I had to agree to an NDA before they could send it. Since I installed it has been WORKING for ages, no more bugs. It fixes it 100%.

I send my details to the moderator in this thread. He said to contact him if you had trouble. He forwarded me to one of their support agents. If you look you will find him in this thread asking for your router details.

Message 48 of 121
Ntlope
Tutor

That’s such a relief to hear. Can’t wait!!
Message 49 of 121
jaymz69
Apprentice

I been waitng for MONTHS too! they never helped like that, I am ready to go buy the 'Amazon eero 6 dual-band mesh Wi-Fi 6 system' snce this Netgear mesh has been a nightmare with all my IoT for AirPlay as wells as bad speeds when I am right in the range of the router. Then for the last 8 months never been able to use aitplay with my devices and other network issue. I doubt any fox ill happen or work, I just tried the lates firmware ...116 and still crap! I will see if anyone will but my old setup, probably have to take a big hit too since costs so high with little return. 

I used Netgear for years.... but there comes a time to move on I guess... 

Message 50 of 121
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7