Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

How do i Create a Mesh system with a Nighthawk X 10?

novermyhead
Aspirant

How do i Create a Mesh system with a Nighthawk X 10?

I am currently using a Nighthawk X10 r9000 Router and while i am please with its performace,I am finding a few dead zones in my house. I have looked at the Orbi system but I dont really want to puirchase  whole new system. Can i add the nighthawk Mesh system to my current setup?

Thanks in advance

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: How do i Create a Mesh system with a Nighthawk X 10?

You can add a mesh extender to your network. They work amazing if you're only adding 1.   When/if you start needing more than 1 extender, thats when you should be looking into the true mesh setup instead of just a mesh extender.

How big is your home?

What are the interior walls made of? 

Message 2 of 6
novermyhead
Aspirant

My home is around 2500 Square feet. Most all place are covered exepct my bedroom. The wall are typical 2x4 with 3/4 in sheet rock. Would i need to purchase just one of the Orbi,or should i go with the Nigt Hawk Mesh system?

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

Your home should probably be fine with single extender. But thats a "probably" because many things can influence wireless coverage. 

Quite a few stores have generous return policies so if you bought a mesh extender and tried it and it didn't provide the coverage you desire, you could return and switch to mesh.

The x10 is quite capable as a router. I'd probably start with adding the tri-band mesh extender and seeing how it performs. 

Message 4 of 6
novermyhead
Aspirant

Thank you so much for the help. I’ll start looking at the tru and mesh extenders. Any suggestions on model
Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

Depends on what the area you're trying to cover.

I'd take a look at the renewed/refurbs on amazon for orbi. The wireless AC versions can be bought pretty reasonable now that the new AX routers are being released. 

I've had 2 sets since the Orbi's first came out and they've been great. Everyone once in a while there is a bad firmware but the Orbi's have gotten more firmware updates than any other router product I've seen so it doesn't last long. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7