Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Re: Introducing the Nighthawk WiFi 6 Mesh System

Dustin_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Introducing the Nighthawk WiFi 6 Mesh System

MK63_glass_table_1920x1920.jpg

In case you missed it, NETGEAR introduced its newest product line at CES 2020, the Nighthawk Mesh WiFi system with WiFi 6. NETGEAR’s Nighthawk line of routers has become synonymous with performance, giving users greater flexibility to customize settings for personalization and optimization of their network. With the Nighthawk WiFi 6 Mesh System, it’s no different. Designed for the tech enthusiast, the Nighthawk WiFi 6 Mesh System will bring reliable and flexible WiFi coverage with specialized features such as Dynamic QoS, which automatically prioritizes both video streaming and gaming traffic.

A Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6 router or a satellite supports dual-band WiFi with up to 1.8Gbps using the latest WiFi 6 and is the ideal companion for the latest iPhone or Samsung smart phones and the new WiFi 6 capable gadgets introduced over the last several months. Legacy devices also will experience enhanced connectivity, as the WiFi 6 backhaul for mesh systems improves utilization of WiFi channels with its use of faster speeds and better efficiencies over WiFi 6. The router also comes equipped with 2 Gigabit Ethernet ports (one for the internet and the other for the LAN) while the satellite comes with 1 Gigabit Ethernet port.

MK63_white_table_1920x1920.jpgThis exciting new addition to the NETGEAR family of mesh WiFi products will set a new bar for performance and capacity to meet the increasing bandwidth demands of our customers. NETGEAR already has the industry’s most complete WiFi 6 router portfolio and we are now happy to offer the same for WiFi 6 mesh solutions.

For more information about the Nighthawk WiFi 6 Mesh System, please visit: https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/nighthawk-mesh/mk62.aspx

Message 1 of 22
billfromfrance
Initiate

I'd wish they would spend their engineering time fixing their Orbi products. As many, I'm stuck with an unreliable Wi-Fi "whole-home" router. Satellite keeps disconnecting from the main router.

They could at the very least let customer support offer refunds or exchanges.

No Netgear in my home any more.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 2 of 22
Chuck_M
Mentor

What is the difference between this and an Orbi Ax6000 other than the case?

Message 3 of 22
schumaku
Guru

Read fine print and specs.

While the MK62 is a WiFi 6 device, it's AC1800 class "only" - from the tech specs:

AX1800 WiFi 6

• Radio 1: IEEE® 802.11b/g/n/ax 2.4GHz–1024QAM support (600Mbps)
  • Radio 2: IEEE® 802.11a/n/ac/ax 5GHz-1024QAM support (1200Mbps)
  • Tx/Rx: 2x2 (2.4GHz) + 2x2 (5GHz)

AFAIK the MK62 does not offer a wired backhaul, too. Can't double check because of the user manual isn't available for download.

Message 4 of 22
schumaku
Guru

In the part, I was always fighting the "useless" ACnnnn or AXyyyy numbering summing up all radio interface theoretical maximum link rates - here I see that this indication can add some clarity on the product capabilities.

Message 5 of 22
Jamma00785
Star

@schumaku wrote:

AFAIK the MK62 does not offer a wired backhaul, too. Can't double check because of the user manual isn't available for download.

FWIW, I called support today, and they stated that the MK62 does include Ethernet backhaul. Can anyone confirm that this is the case?

Message 6 of 22
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

That is correct no ethernet backhaul only wireless to the satellite.

DarrenM

Message 7 of 22
Jamma00785
Star

Darren-  which is correct. That there is not Ethernet Backhaul or there is?

Just wanting to clarify since you stated I was correct and then posted the exact opposite of what support confirmed to me. 

Message 8 of 22
digitsnbits
Apprentice

I've actually used this mesh WiFi and I can confirm it does have Ethernet backhaul enabled.

It does work pretty well for what it is, kind of a glorified google WiFi that runs WiFi 6.

It's no Orbi WiFi 6 and no wireless backhaul but for $229 it covers 2000 sq. ft., and it's pretty fast for the specs. 

Message 9 of 22
Jamma00785
Star

@digitsnbits how do you set up the ethernet backhaul.  Im not seeing the option for it in the settings. 

Message 10 of 22
schumaku
Guru

@Jamma00785 the Nighthawk Mesh Data Sheet (MK62 - MR62/MS62) says:

Key Features:

Ethernet backhaul — For pre-wired homes, configure your network to use the ethernet for your backhaul and WiFi for your fronthaul.

(yeah Ethernet is lowercase once...)

As the Ethernet backhaul is not mentioned in the MK62 User Manual , we can assume that it does not have to be configured specifically - this makes a difference from certain Orbi and Orbi Pro configurations - however we're facing here a much more basic but standards compliant WiFi EasyMesh that will bring added flexibility to consumers by enabling this mesh system to interoperate with other satellites or extenders that support the standard in the future. Unclear for now is if these can be combined with direct Ethernet connections (MR62<->MS62), unmanaged Ethernet switches, switched Ethernet networks with STP or "better" support.

Unclear what difference a partial or complete wired backhaul makes on synching the satellites as shown in the UM around p.13, "Place your satellite " and "Sync your satellite with your router " ... and last but not least if there can be a "wild" mix of wireless and wired backhaul can be implemented.

Netgear can send me an MR62 and a bunch of MS62 and I'm happy to test drive.

Message 11 of 22
jrsheets
Tutor

I have ethernet backhaul setup using the same method as I used on the 802.11ac Orbi RBK50 series - the LAN port of the MR60 connected to a gigabit switch, and the LAN (only) port of the MS60 connected to the same switch. It takes it a minute or so to engage (just like the RBK 50 did).

Strangely, their support website tells you to use the internet port for this:

https://kb.netgear.com/000061710/What-is-an-Ethernet-backhaul-connection-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-m...

I think this is probably a mistake as many people are probably not running their routers in bridge mode like I am, and would need their internet port for their internet connectivity.

I have not yet tried switching to the internet port (while in bridge mode) to see if it also works on that port but can confirm it works on the LAN port through a switch.

Message 12 of 22
Liquidprint
Aspirant

I understand your frustration. I have an Orbi Mesh System, and it drops the connection 4-6 times a day. I have to reset the router twice a day sometimes. I paid 89.00 for tech help, and my product is still under warranty. Netgear has gone downhill. I spent a considerable amount of money on this crappy system. I hope the techs can help me resolve the problem or they replace the product before the one year warranty is up.

Message 13 of 22
JackieO
Aspirant

Will my Nighthawk AX3000 WiFi 6 support the mesh?

Message 14 of 22
jackxujh
Aspirant

I'm planning to buy this model. And i just checked the linked kb page. It seems that they have fixed the erratum. The kb page now instructs you to use Ethernet port. I am planning to connect the router and satellite with some unmanaged switches like Netgear GS308. Hopefully it will work!

Message 15 of 22
Blee1285
Tutor

Any updates on the use of unmanaged switches between the nighthawk mesh 6 router and the satellite? It would go modem -> nighthawk 6 mesh router -> unmanaged switch—> unmanaged switch -> nighthawk 6 mesh satellite
Message 16 of 22
schumaku
Guru

AFAIK this is workable. The question is what's the idea behind the deployment of a Mesh system instead of a real router (or even the typical very reasonable ISP unit) and add a PoE/PoE+ switch with some wireless access points.  Modern environments like Netgear's Insight allow a very simple single point of management, too.

Message 17 of 22
Blee1285
Tutor

WiFi if the most important and a seamless WiFi that mesh provides is key. The unmanaged switches are only being deployed because at the main router point there are two hardwire devices and one hardware device at the satellite location. Because the nighthawk mesh 6 doesn’t have addition ports, I would need to leverage a switch. Of course I could just go with something more fitting like Netgear orbi which 4 ports but looking for cheap + WiFi 6. Keep in mind this is also an implementation at my parents house and I want something seamless and easy that doesn’t require up keep or maintenance..
Message 18 of 22
schumaku
Guru

@Blee1285 wrote:
WiFi if the most important and a seamless WiFi that mesh provides is key.

Any decent WiFi AP does support 802.11k and 802.11v - this is what the consumer networking industry designate as Mesh. Matter of fact: Most of these products are over-marketed and don't build a mesh as per the common understanding.

Performance-wise there the difference between a reasonable 802.11ac and the lower-end WiFi 6 implementation e.g. on the MK6x kits is marginal.  Average to full WiFi 6 prerfomance is much more costly.

Message 19 of 22
Dhgordon
Aspirant

No wired backhaul are you sure?

Message 20 of 22
schumaku
Guru

@Dhgordon wrote:

No wired backhaul are you sure?

Wired backhaul is supported now - imited to one satellite -> What is an Ethernet backhaul connection and how do I set it up on my Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6 System? 

Unclear in what kind of alternate set-up (e.g. a star or daisy chain via switch(es)) can be made workable.

Message 21 of 22
Blee1285
Tutor

Confirmed backhaul works with MR60 -> unmanaged switch -> unmanaged switch -> MS60. However this is with only one satellite, I don’t believe a second MS60 can be Ethernet backhauled.
Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 13 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7