Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Looking for a Mesh wired add-on to the R7800

colsoncj
Guide

Looking for a Mesh wired add-on to the R7800

We currently have a R7800 router that works pretty well, but has a few dead spots at the far end of the house and outside.  Looking to get a mesh extender, but have the ability to add it wired (instead of trying to extend wirelessly).  Is there a mesh solution that would fit this role?  Thinking a typical wifi router that has mesh capability with wired connection... but I'm only finding mesh extenders that communicate back to the router wirelessly.  

Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Looking for a Mesh wired add-on to the R7800

@colsoncj wrote:

So right now the R7800 hits most of the house except the attached garage ring camera mounted outside... which is literally on the farthest opposite side of the structure.... See attached.  Red star is the R7800, green is the ring camera that has a weak 2.4 signal. ----if you could centrally locate the router, you might not even need an extender. 

You can also see the new detatched garage, which is going to be about 50' to 75' away from the attached garage.----that is a good distance. Any chance you ran an ethernet or coax wire to the detached garage?

Thought about using the EX7500 or EX8000 near the attached garage (that side of the main house) to help the ring camera, the attached garage, and the basement corner which is weak too.  Then, do something else for the shop (like another R7800), especially since it would be router -> extender -> extender to hit the shop, if even possible (doubtful at that distance).----i'd agree, doubtful at that distance. If it did work, you might have atrocious speeds.  Again, if you ran ethernet or coax to it, no problems. 

I honestly would probably be happier with a full mesh system once the garage is in place so I dont have two "networks".... but is it worth the extra coin and getting rid of a good R7800 to do it?----debatable, and not my place to choose for you. You might get decent $ back for selling the R7800 to offset some cost. Its still a solid router and well performing.   

Also... EX7500 to EX8000... for the little extra bit I need, is the 8000 worth it, or just go 7500?---again, debatable on performance you want.   Or would there be a better mesh extender to get that extra little bit on that side of the house?----If you're not needing access point mode, again, the RBS40V has mesh extender mode. Its cheaper than both and performs the same as the EX7500 (plus it has a alexa built in for music). If you're needing access point mode, then I'd go with the EX8000 because in access point mode, it functions as a true triband.  the EX7500 isn't worth it as an extender with the price of the RBS40V and its mesh extender mode. 

This would be what I'd do.

so if only needing a wireless mesh extender: i'd get RBS40V

If needing mesh extender plus potential access point: EX8000

If any plans of going Orbi AC (not AX) in future: RBS40V

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 14

All Replies
plemans
Guru

There's not. 

Netgear's line of mesh extenders only function as mesh if setup wireless. If ran in AP mode with a wired backhaul, there smart roaming doesn't function. 

Options? 

1. upgrade to a orbi setup that supports wired backhaul

2. use a mesh extender but run it in wireless mode. the tribands don't take a whole lot of speed hit because of their dedicated backhaul

3. Just use an access point. You can use the same ssid but devices will be sticky and not roam that well or you can set it with a seperate ssid. 

Message 2 of 14
colsoncj
Guide

I was afraid that was the case... the R7800 we have is a fairly recent purchase but was based on our previous house (just moved).  

Was hoping there was a magical WAP that could have a dedicated backhaul (wired to the R7800) and keep same SSIDs and Passwords for seamless handoffs..  apparently thats too much to ask... 😞

So, while I'm picking the brains of those way more knowledgeable than me, I'd love some advice:

Right now I have a cable modem at one far corner of the home.  The R7800 is on in that same room, wired to the modem.  From the R7800 I have 3 Cat5 (I think) cables that radiate from the R7800 that go to 1) just the other side of the wall from the R7800 - connects to a PS4 in the living room, 2) to the basement, not connect to anything, and 3) to the upstairs bedroom on the opposite side of the house of the R7800, but on the wall towards the middle of the house (I think).  At some point I'm also adding a detached garage/shop that would need wifi.  So what would be better:

1. Leave everything as is, until the shop is built.  Then upgrade the whole thing to an Orbi system with wired backhauls (or is there another better solution than Orbi?)

2.  Replace the R7800 with a switch, then move the R7800 to the upstairs bedroom.  It would place it in a more central location housewise, but not sure how the basement would fair.  Or I could move the R7800 to the center of the house in the basement next to the ceiling...  It would get it in a more central location, but at the cost of being on a different floor.  Is it worth it, and if so, what would be the best switch to get to take its current location? 

3. Buy an mesh extender for the house and keep it all on one SSID.  Then, when shop is built, put it on a different SSID with a WAP on a wired backhaul to the R7800.  May be cheaper than an Orbi, but would have two SSIDs which is annoying.  

4.  Another brilliant solution that I dont know about?

Message 3 of 14
plemans
Guru

Not sure which modem you're using but if its a modem only device you need to go:

modem----router---switch/devices.

if you go:

modem----switch-----router---devices

|

V

Devices

then you'd have issues. 

I hate to say this but I move my networking gear around constantly to optimize placement and devices usage. Its worked well for me. 

An option you might not have considered? lately, amazon has been selling RBK43 systems renewed for cheap. Its a bit more than an extender or simple AP but gives you the options of wired backhau/wireless backhaul and several satellites. Might be worth checking into. 

And if you are using a wired backhaul, the rbk43 will perform the same as the rbk53 because the difference between the 2 is the backhaul connection. If you use wireless backhaul, it'll run at the lower speed but even so, its still a pretty solid speed/backhaul connection. My RBK43 was just as good as my RBK53 for everything but peak testing. 

Message 4 of 14
colsoncj
Guide

Modem is a technicolor ISP provided one... (cable modem, Technicolor DPC3216 - which from what I can find is a rebranded Cisco).  

I hate to say it (seeing how I like Netgear), but wondering if anyone else offers wired mesh access points that could fill the gap in the house and/or the shop that works with the R7800...  

We only have a 400mb/s service, so I'm not running near peak speeds for most of these, and the demand isn't high enough at the devices for it... (think kids/videos/websurfing).  Biggest consumer is just smart TVs, my PS4 (Wired), and my Desktop/laptop (also wired).  

Any experience with if say a linksys mesh router would provide an extended mesh wifi solution for the shop with a wired backhaul and not require a full Orbi upgrade?  Honestly could get two linksys mesh routers for still less than one Netgear mesh extender or an Orbi setup, and cover the rest of the house, and the shop, assuming they play nice.  

Message 5 of 14
plemans
Guru

I've used tp-link, arris, and Tenda mesh.

I know tp-link has a solid wired backhaul setup. The arris was sketchy with wired backhaul and I didnt keep the tenda for long (poor performance)

Message 6 of 14
colsoncj
Guide

Had a bad experience once with Arris...  no bad experiences with linksys or TP link.  have any recommendation on a mesh wired backhaul that wont break the bank seeing how Netgear doesnt seem to fill this niche other than with thier Orbi stuff?

Message 7 of 14
colsoncj
Guide

Also forgot to detail, the "router" in above scenarios is the R7800... 

Message 8 of 14
plemans
Guru

I've used the tplink m9plus that worked well Its renewed on amazon fro around that @$250 for a 3 pack

There's also a orbi RBK50 (2 pack) renewed on amazon for $219. add in the rbs40v for $99 and you're a bit over but then running a solid 3 pack system.

Or read a few of these reviews and see which suits your purposes

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/rankers/wifi-system/view 

Message 9 of 14
colsoncj
Guide

Looking at that, it looks like my R7800 router is still one of the top routers out there (thought it was, but good to see).  So it probably makes sense for me to keep it...  I guess the real question I'm begining to wonder.. How well will my R7800 work in a mesh like system?  

Now thinking EX7500 or EX8000 to extend the house if needed.  But then what do you do about the shop?

Message 10 of 14
plemans
Guru

The R7800 is indeed a pretty darned good router. And the EX8000 is a solid extender. I have it and have used it with great success. 

How far from the home is the garage going to be? or attached? it might cover the garage as well as the home if you space the devices right. 

You can use a 2nd EX8000 as well. i usually recommend moving to a full mesh system and not using extender mesh systems but it can be done. You just want to avoid daisy chaining. (daisy chain: router----->extender------>extender) better to go with a star configuration (extender<-------router------->extender)

the other thing you can check into is the RBS40V. It has an extender mode besides its orbi mode. Its a bit cheaper than the EX8000 right now (by a ways). It isn't going to have the same backhaul as the EX8000 but it'll have the same as the EX7500 and EX7700 for much less. Plus then if you ever do decide to go with an orbi AC system, its just adding a RBR router. I've seen them frequently on ebay as people buy full systems to get the satellites (cheaper). 

Message 11 of 14
colsoncj
Guide

So right now the R7800 hits most of the house except the attached garage ring camera mounted outside... which is literally on the farthest opposite side of the structure.... See attached.  Red star is the R7800, green is the ring camera that has a weak 2.4 signal. 

You can also see the new detatched garage, which is going to be about 50' to 75' away from the attached garage.

Thought about using the EX7500 or EX8000 near the attached garage (that side of the main house) to help the ring camera, the attached garage, and the basement corner which is weak too.  Then, do something else for the shop (like another R7800), especially since it would be router -> extender -> extender to hit the shop, if even possible (doubtful at that distance).

I honestly would probably be happier with a full mesh system once the garage is in place so I dont have two "networks".... but is it worth the extra coin and getting rid of a good R7800 to do it?  

Also... EX7500 to EX8000... for the little extra bit I need, is the 8000 worth it, or just go 7500?  Or would there be a better mesh extender to get that extra little bit on that side of the house?

Message 12 of 14
plemans
Guru

@colsoncj wrote:

So right now the R7800 hits most of the house except the attached garage ring camera mounted outside... which is literally on the farthest opposite side of the structure.... See attached.  Red star is the R7800, green is the ring camera that has a weak 2.4 signal. ----if you could centrally locate the router, you might not even need an extender. 

You can also see the new detatched garage, which is going to be about 50' to 75' away from the attached garage.----that is a good distance. Any chance you ran an ethernet or coax wire to the detached garage?

Thought about using the EX7500 or EX8000 near the attached garage (that side of the main house) to help the ring camera, the attached garage, and the basement corner which is weak too.  Then, do something else for the shop (like another R7800), especially since it would be router -> extender -> extender to hit the shop, if even possible (doubtful at that distance).----i'd agree, doubtful at that distance. If it did work, you might have atrocious speeds.  Again, if you ran ethernet or coax to it, no problems. 

I honestly would probably be happier with a full mesh system once the garage is in place so I dont have two "networks".... but is it worth the extra coin and getting rid of a good R7800 to do it?----debatable, and not my place to choose for you. You might get decent $ back for selling the R7800 to offset some cost. Its still a solid router and well performing.   

Also... EX7500 to EX8000... for the little extra bit I need, is the 8000 worth it, or just go 7500?---again, debatable on performance you want.   Or would there be a better mesh extender to get that extra little bit on that side of the house?----If you're not needing access point mode, again, the RBS40V has mesh extender mode. Its cheaper than both and performs the same as the EX7500 (plus it has a alexa built in for music). If you're needing access point mode, then I'd go with the EX8000 because in access point mode, it functions as a true triband.  the EX7500 isn't worth it as an extender with the price of the RBS40V and its mesh extender mode. 

Message 13 of 14
colsoncj
Guide

So right now the R7800 hits most of the house except the attached garage ring camera mounted outside... which is literally on the farthest opposite side of the structure.... See attached.  Red star is the R7800, green is the ring camera that has a weak 2.4 signal. ----if you could centrally locate the router, you might not even need an extender. I wish I could centrally locate the router... probably is all the hard wires are fished to that spot... so I'd have to fish a new one to a central location and back, which would need to be either on the 2nd floor or basement... basically screwed 😞

You can also see the new detatched garage, which is going to be about 50' to 75' away from the attached garage.----that is a good distance. Any chance you ran an ethernet or coax wire to the detached garage?  Haven't built it yet, but will be running a new ethernet line from the R7800's current location (basically tapping that unused basement line I mentioned earlier) to the new garage, so will have wired access there.

Thought about using the EX7500 or EX8000 near the attached garage (that side of the main house) to help the ring camera, the attached garage, and the basement corner which is weak too.  Then, do something else for the shop (like another R7800), especially since it would be router -> extender -> extender to hit the shop, if even possible (doubtful at that distance).----i'd agree, doubtful at that distance. If it did work, you might have atrocious speeds.  Again, if you ran ethernet or coax to it, no problems. Agree... the EX7500 would just be to fix the house coverage... you're absolutely right to get it to the detached garage, it would just flat suck.  Hence the ethernet hardline going out there.

I honestly would probably be happier with a full mesh system once the garage is in place so I dont have two "networks".... but is it worth the extra coin and getting rid of a good R7800 to do it?----debatable, and not my place to choose for you. You might get decent $ back for selling the R7800 to offset some cost. Its still a solid router and well performing.   Internet doesnt decide for you anymore?  LOL  (joking).  Very true, and it is a 6 or half dozen scenario.  

Also... EX7500 to EX8000... for the little extra bit I need, is the 8000 worth it, or just go 7500?---again, debatable on performance you want.   Or would there be a better mesh extender to get that extra little bit on that side of the house?----If you're not needing access point mode, again, the RBS40V has mesh extender mode. Its cheaper than both and performs the same as the EX7500 (plus it has a alexa built in for music). If you're needing access point mode, then I'd go with the EX8000 because in access point mode, it functions as a true triband.  the EX7500 isn't worth it as an extender with the price of the RBS40V and its mesh extender mode. 

Decent recommendation!!! I'm thinking go mesh extender for the house/attached garage/basement, then grab something to fill the role of just the shop with a separate SSID.  Based on your recommendation, use the RBS40V with the R7800 for the house.  May try to get the RBSV40 in the kitchen to take advantage of the music aspect.  or dining (both on the opposite side of the R7800.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7