Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

MESH D7800 and R8000

jakecarroll
Aspirant

MESH D7800 and R8000

Hi,

I just purchased a D7800 modem router and have now just purchased a X6 AC3200 R8000 modem. I am wanting to set up the R8000 as a wireless access point running like a mesh system so I can get one wifi signal throughout the same house. I’m struggling to get this set up, is it actually possible? If so, how?

I have already enabled the R8000 as a access point in the settings but can’t seem to get it working as a mesh network
Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

Re: MESH D7800 and R8000

That's because neither device is a mesh. You can't expect to buy non-mesh devices and just "be able to run them mesh". 

You can set the same ssid for their wireless signals but it isn't going to roam the same as an actual mesh network. And it can create issues as both have smart connection/band steering. 

I'd recommend running them with band steering on and using 2 different ssid'. 1 ssid for each. 

Message 2 of 9
jakecarroll
Aspirant

Will connecting a AX6000 to my D7800 allow me to mesh & roam seamlessly?
Message 3 of 9
plemans
Guru

AX6000 is a speed. Not a device.

Which device are you refering to? 

Message 4 of 9
jakecarroll
Aspirant

Netgear Nighthawk AX6000 8-Stream WiFi 6 Mesh Extender (EAX80-100AUS)
Message 5 of 9
plemans
Guru

It should. 

Something to keep in mind even with wireless mesh extenders is that they work great with 1x of them. If you're needing more than 1 extender, its best to go with a full mesh system like orbi. 

Message 6 of 9
jakecarroll
Aspirant

Thanks. Yeah I only need one so it should be fine.
Message 7 of 9
RandyLikesTech
Aspirant

Thanks for providing a little insight for this.  I too have two, Nighthawk R8000 routers.  One on the first floor and the other on the second floor.  I have been toying with moving each of them down a floor (so the Modem and one Nighthawk is in the basement) and putting a 6000 Mesh Extender on the second floor to increase coverage.  Do you believe this would provide an all around benefit (better connectivity in the basement and better signal through the 1st and 2nd floors)?   The first floor where the router lives is vaulted with open access to the second floor via an open loft area.

Sorry if this is too wordy and too much to consider.

Thanks!

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 8 of 9
plemans
Guru

@RandyLikesTech wrote:

Thanks for providing a little insight for this.  I too have two, Nighthawk R8000 routers.  One on the first floor and the other on the second floor.  I have been toying with moving each of them down a floor (so the Modem and one Nighthawk is in the basement) and putting a 6000 Mesh Extender on the second floor to increase coverage.  Do you believe this would provide an all around benefit (better connectivity in the basement and better signal through the 1st and 2nd floors)? Maybe? Its tough to tell. And the R8000's are pretty capable routers. If they're both hardwired, they're going to be pretty fast and provide pretty good coverage. I can't say how well adding an extender will help in that situation. Sometimes its a try it and if it doesn't help, return it.  The first floor where the router lives is vaulted with open access to the second floor via an open loft area.

Sorry if this is too wordy and too much to consider.

Thanks!

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7