Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

MK62 — Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6 System working as access point

Borsuk
Aspirant

MK62 — Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6 System working as access point

Hi Guys

I am considering to buy this stuff for my house. However prior I take decision, I would like to get some answers on following questions:

- Is my understanding correct that this stuff can be running as access point only (routing function would be disabled) ?

I have a LAN router already installed at my hose and only what I need are access points to handle WI-Fi. I would like to use this system as access points only to create WI-FI network.

- Assuming that answer on first question is yes. Are these devices (primary and secondary unit) need to be still synchronized in same way when they works as router?

- Can this system run at least 2 VLANs simultaneously when is configured as Access Point?   

- Can I block access to device interface from WI-Fi network and keep it only from LAN (cable) or specific VLAN?

- Comparing a signal range of single unit to the range of WAX214 is it smaller/bigger, similar? 

Model: Dual Band
Message 1 of 4
Borsuk
Aspirant

Re: MK62 — Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6 System working as access point

... And one more question. 

I plan to connect both stations to my LAN ethernet network. In that case do they need to be still synhronized by WI-Fi signal or some synhronization is possible via LAN cable? 

Regards and thanks in advance. 

Message 2 of 4
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Borsuk,

We suggest that you contact our Pre Sales team to better assist you with your inquiry. Please see our Support page: http://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx Select "Get answers about NETGEAR products before I buy" They will be able to assist you in answering your questions for your network & security needs. 

Regards,

Christian 

Message 3 of 4
Borsuk
Aspirant

I have talked with some lady via phone and she was only able to tell me what should I do when Orbi system does ot work properly...

Acutally this was not an answer I am looking for. I suspect that she was not aware of differences between Access Points and Mesh Wi-Fi. 

Guys. I have LAN network in LAN sockets in various places of my house. some months ago I get started to modernize my network.

in result I have a new router (only LAN) and switch to handle communicaton for various devices. Now I am looking for two access points. My requirements are as follows:

- WI-FI 6

- WPA3 

- Wi-Fi roaming (801.11k and 801.11r) 

- At least 2 VLAN handling without any interuptions 

- No licence (like in Pro/Corporate devices) 

- Resonable price

Is difficult to find some devices that can fulfill above needs. for consummers, companies mostly offer mesh systems.

Sometimes is stated that they can work as Access Points but then there are no other details for instance about roaming.

I am not sure if mesh working as one AP is enough good for me bacause distance (walls) betwen devices will be quite big.

I would need to buy mesh system where all satellites can work as access points with wi-fi roaming.  

Of course I can chose business level stuff but then price is getting to be a problem and it looks that some companies like Cisco requires user to buy licence to make device working - this is not what I am looking for.  

Can you advice something from Netgear offer?  

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7