Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

MK63 DHCP not working

shixinhb
Follower

MK63 DHCP not working

Hey,
I have my mk63 connected to a Arris SB6141 modern with Xfinity. The DHCP is turned on on my mk60 main router. I have several devices that cannot automatically get a valid IP address from the router like my PC and my XBox series X console, sometimes my Apple TV box.
I have to manually assign IP to them. It works but really annoying when network not stable, while troubleshooting I have to check if this device is use manual IP or rely on DCHP.
I have no clue why it is not working against some of my devices. PC is connected to the main router with a cable. Xbox is connected to the satellite with a cable. Apple TV via WiFi.
Let me know if any other info you need from my end.
Any guidance will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: MK63 DHCP not working

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡
https://kb.netgear.com/000061709/Where-should-I-place-the-Mesh-WiFi-satellite-of-my-Nighthawk-Mesh-W... 📡

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.

Is Armor or Smart Parental Controls enabled? 

Try setting a IP address reservation on the MR for your devices:
https://kb.netgear.com/25722/How-do-I-reserve-an-IP-address-on-my-NETGEAR-router?_ga=2.258726095.431...

Message 2 of 3
EternalStudent
Apprentice

Re: MK63 DHCP not working

I'd look in the log (Advanced tab, Administration on left, Log below that) on the router when you connect a new device to see what it thinks happened.  Each of my devices gets a new line when they take an address.

Plugging a wired device into the router is the simplest way to test if IP addresses are being given out by the router.  Skips any WiFi issues (try that next when IP's are handed out reliably).  You can manually release then renew the address to trigger the process quickly (search online for directions for your OS).

You could do a factory reset to make sure you didn't accidentally turn on a feature you didn't remember.  Like routers can require you to whitelist MAC addresses ("default deny access").  That's different from reserving an IP for the device on the router (which still uses a DHCP server).

When you say you manually assign an IP, you're setting a static address on your devices?  It generally works best to have everything static or everything use DHCP.  Like to avoid multiple devices thinking they can use an IP (one forced with a static address and the other handed the value from DHCP server).

You can try upgrading the firmware, though some people have better luck on the last 1.0.x version (current is 1.1.x).

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7