Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Re: MK63 Mesh - Ethernet Switch Connection

IanW76
Follower

MK63 Mesh - Ethernet Switch Connection

Need to confirm that the MK63 nighthawk mesh can be connected via an ethernet switch. Plan is to use in AP mode and connect to existing ISP router. Also plan/need to connect the mesh units via the existing ethernet network, however the user guide only mentions direct cable to 1 (only) satellite. The "Orbi AC2200 Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi 5" system clearly shows a switch connected configuration. Can the MK63 do the same ?

Message 1 of 8
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi IanW76,

We have received feedback that some users were able to accomplish this as long as the MR60 is set into AP mode.

Christian 

Message 2 of 8
plink53
Aspirant

Have similar question. Bought the MK63 mesh hoping I could use wired ethernet for the backhaul but it doesn't appear that the satellites can use this. It appears the ethernet port is for local wired connection to the mesh. Is this correct?

Message 3 of 8
ord2koa
Aspirant

NETGEAR Moderator referred to MR60 -?  This is a MK60/63 question.

And maybe tell us HOW is it done?

Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

I believe it would be the same or similar to what Orbi uses:

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy... 📡

The MR60 in AP mode would be configured to be connected using it's WAN port to the switch. Any MS60 satellite would need to be connected at this same switch or behind the MR60 thats in AP mode to the MR60 LAN port, as you see in the pictured link. I've done this on my Orbi systems, however I don't have the MK system so I can't confirm. 

NG GS-105/108v4, D-Link DGS-105/108 and HP ProCurve 1400/1800 series switches work for Orbi systems and should work same for MK systems. 

@IanW76 wrote:

Need to confirm that the MK63 nighthawk mesh can be connected via an ethernet switch. Plan is to use in AP mode and connect to existing ISP router. Also plan/need to connect the mesh units via the existing ethernet network, however the user guide only mentions direct cable to 1 (only) satellite. The "Orbi AC2200 Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi 5" system clearly shows a switch connected configuration. Can the MK63 do the same ?

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Mesh-System/MK63-Mesh-Ethernet-Switch-Connection/m-p/2131...

@ord2koa wrote:

NETGEAR Moderator referred to MR60 -?  This is a MK60/63 question.

And maybe tell us HOW is it done?

Message 6 of 8
ord2koa
Aspirant

Thanks.  Got it done, but the AP was useless.  I downloaded the instructions and worked from there.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements