Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

MK63

BlackBoxes
Aspirant

MK63

Hello - I bought the MK63 Router and Satellites last year. It is for a fairly large house I use in the summer. The system worked very fine all summer. However, this year, in the very same conditions, it is being a nightmare! 

The satellites keep disconnecting or don't sync at all. If I visualise the map on the app it is incredibly unstable changing configuration every few seconds with satellites going in and out at random. 

I have done all the resets. I have reset even the modem and started everything from scratch. The firmware seems to be the latest one in all devices. 

Is there anyone so kind to tell me what else to try in such a catastrophe?

I am quite furious because the whole thing costed a lot of money. 

Thank you in advance to anyone willing to share advice. 

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: MK63

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between MR and MS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

https://kb.netgear.com/000061709/Where-should-I-place-the-Mesh-WiFi-satellite-of-my-Nighthawk-Mesh-W... 📡

Message 2 of 6
BlackBoxes
Aspirant

v1.1.6.122 on router and all satellites

The router homepage says it is the latest one... is it?

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Tim Smart Modem 771320 manufactured by Sercomm Corporation

I am in Italy. Is it important? Last year everything worked a wonder

Huge, part of it was a monastery.  Four floors, some huge walls as well. I have 5 satellites.

Again.. last year it worked a wonder.

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)?

Floor 0: Router, 1 satellite at around 30ft, 1 satellite the other side of a courtyard

Floor 1: 1 satellite directly above the satellite below

Floor 2: 1 satellite directly above the satellite below, 1 satellite at 10 ft

Last year it worked perfectly.

This year some satellites don't even sync (i.e. stays amber) even if I put them in the same room of router.

Thank you. Suggestions are welcome - even if I need to start from scratch again.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

@BlackBoxes wrote:

v1.1.6.122 on router and all satellites

The router homepage says it is the latest one... is it? NO

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Mesh-System/New-MR60-MS60-Firmware-Version-1-1-6-124-Rele...

Tim Smart Modem 771320 manufactured by Sercomm Corporation

I am in Italy. Is it important? Last year everything worked a wonder

Is this your modem? 

https://www.tim.it/content/dam/flytoco-areapubblica-aemfe/tim_it/assistenza/assistenza-tecnica/guide...

Huge, part of it was a monastery.  Four floors, some huge walls as well. I have 5 satellites.

Again.. last year it worked a wonder.

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)?

Floor 0: Router, 1 satellite at around 30ft, 1 satellite the other side of a courtyard

Floor 1: 1 satellite directly above the satellite below

Floor 2: 1 satellite directly above the satellite below, 1 satellite at 10 ft

Last year it worked perfectly.

This year some satellites don't even sync (i.e. stays amber) even if I put them in the same room of router.

Thank you. Suggestions are welcome - even if I need to start from scratch again.

Make sure the MS are on same version of FW as the MR. 

Having the MS too close to the MR or each other can cause problems. 10 feet is too close. 

30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/000061709/Where-should-I-place-the-Mesh-WiFi-satellite-of-my-Nighthawk-Mesh-W... 📡

https://youtu.be/UR0viMLISz4

Message 4 of 6
BlackBoxes
Aspirant

I have done another clean reset of everything. I re-did initialisation but using the router homepage rather than the app and it seems to behave better. I have now a fairly stable network with router and two satellites.

The router homepage says it is th latest one... is it? NO

OK thank you. I have managed to upgrade the FW of two satellites so far. However, I am having an issue with the third satellite. I will create a new dedicated thread.

Is this your modem? 

Yes it seems to be that one.

Message 5 of 6
BlackBoxes
Aspirant

OK it seems to work now. I have also managed to upgraded the FW on everything.

It seems to me that the key has been to do everything from the homepage of the router and not using the app. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7