Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

MK80 and OpenDNS

in2ndo
Apprentice

MK80 and OpenDNS

Hello,

Has anyone been able to change the DNS numbers to OpenDNS on a MK83 ?

the option to change it is there.  but the number fields remain greyed out. 

Thanks.

Message 1 of 11
plemans
Guru

Re: MK80 and OpenDNS

Not many on here that help have the MK83 system. 

Maybe @Christian_R or @DarrenM know

Message 2 of 11
in2ndo
Apprentice

Am finding that out.  but just in case some one else wants to know.   I contacted support. and the answer is no.  at least this MK80 mesh system.  doesn't support OpenDNS.  

Message 3 of 11
in2ndo
Apprentice

So I’ve been playing with the MK83 for a couple of different issues. And for some reason. The fields to change the DNS numbers are now enable when I select it. So I guess support was wrong . The routers page also has the option to use a service like noIP . For those of us with dynamic ip’s. Now I just have to figured that out. Since this is my first router with this options. Before I used to run the openDNS ip updater on one of the computers.
Just in case anyone else needs to know.
Message 4 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Is Armor or any Smart Parental controls enabled on the MK router? Usually if any of these items are enabled, this disable any configuration changes to DNS as these will take control over DNS. 

@in2ndo wrote:
So I’ve been playing with the MK83 for a couple of different issues. And for some reason. The fields to change the DNS numbers are now enable when I select it. So I guess support was wrong . The routers page also has the option to use a service like noIP . For those of us with dynamic ip’s. Now I just have to figured that out. Since this is my first router with this options. Before I used to run the openDNS ip updater on one of the computers.
Just in case anyone else needs to know.

Message 5 of 11
in2ndo
Apprentice

Armor has been enabled from the first time I did the network setup. I don’t use parental controls. But since I’ve been rebooting the router for other issues. At one point the settings to change the DNS ware re-enabled and they’re not greyed out any more. I was able to change the numbers to openDNS and now I’m trying to figure that out to work with the noIP.com service for dynamic DNS. I got another thread here regarding that.

Thank you.
Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Disable Armor before trying to change any DNS. 

What browser are you using to change the settings? Try MS Edge, Firefox or Opera.

Be sure to clear out all broswer caches before entering the routers web page. 

Message 7 of 11
in2ndo
Apprentice

I’ll try that. But since I was already able to change the numbers to openDNS and setup the DDNS service with noIP. Shouldn’t the router be updating the IP to the noIP account?
When I check the status within the routers page. It updates fine. But if I change the iP on the noIP account webpage as instructed by noIP (to test it) and restart the router. Is not getting updated on the noIP account.

And I’m using safari and chrome.
Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

I presume it should. You might check the logs after you apply and reboot the router to see it the logs indicate any problems after the reboot. 

Ensure Armor is fully disabled.

Consule with NoIP on troubleshooting this as well. They should have some information regarding this. 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Message 9 of 11
in2ndo
Apprentice

I’m with Spectrum cable and the modem is a Ubee EU2251 . I did start a ticket with noIP. Waiting for their reply. I’ll check the logs and see if I can find anything on there. And I’ll have to try it with armor off.
I just think is strange that when I click the button on the routers page. To test it out. It updates without a problem. I would think that if armor or something else was the problem . I would get some kind of error and not a confirmation that it updated.

Just one more question. Do you know if the IP is supposed to update immediately on the noIP account. after a router reboot or could it take a while? I was also thinking that maybe the router is not updating it. Since the IP hasn’t change. So I was going to see if I could force the modem to issue a new IP.

And according to spectrum. The voice part of the modem is disabled. So it only works as plain modem .
Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

I would presume the IP should change soon after it's applied or the router reboots. Again something to ask NoIP about and see what support says. 

As a different test you might try a different DNS service like OpenDNS and see if theres does the same thing. if it does, there maybe an issue at the router that NG needs to help you with. 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7