Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Re: MR60 Address Reservation updates are lost after reboot !!

DevendraS
Aspirant

MR60 Address Reservation updates are lost after reboot !!

Hi There,

I have a MR60 router with 2 MS60 satellites. Firmware was upgrade just today to V1.1.6.124_2.0.59 so I am not sure if that has caused the following issue. 

I need to have some 42 MAC addresses in Address Reservation. I remember very clearly that I had changed one entry (device name changed) and added two entries (two new devices on the network) last week.

The changes were working fine after "Apply" as all the devices were started after a day or two so I did not reboot the router at that time.

Now that the router got rebooted after firmware update those 2 new entries are gone from the address reservation and the one changed entry is back to what it was before (old device name) !!

I tried the update entry and add two entries again now and it works / shows the updates till I don't reboot the router, however after reboot the entries are gone again. I did this two times just to be sure and both times entries are going a back to what they were before !!! 

Just to try other changes I changed the DNS settings on the Router from "Get Automatically from ISP" to "Use These DNS Servers" (and changed the default proposal to 8.8.8.8) and after reboot even this setting went back to "Get Automatically from ISP" !!

Am I missing something here while making the changes ? I am definitely clicking on Apply every time.

Or the router is simply not accepting any changes to the config that existed before a certain time ? (May be before the Firmware was updated?)

Please help me find a solution for this issue as one of the new devices I am trying to add is a Raspberry PI with PiHole to have my own DNS !! 

Thanks

Devendra

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
EternalStudent
Apprentice

"after firmware update"

I've had things go weird after firmware updates.  I've read time and again that it's a best practice to factory reset after a router firmware update, then reconfigure your device as needed.  Similar to BIOS updates.  I assume because they don't test migrating all possible settings, but they do test if applying new settings from a reset state works well.

Some people mentioned doing a setting backup, then restore...but that seems like taking the same old (possibly bad/wrong) settings and reapplying them.  So I tend to just manually configure things again if I try this step.

This is one reason I haven't tried to whitelist my devices as you seem to be doing.  Yes it'd give a bit of extra protection from someone else using your network (unless they copy an existing MAC address), but I'd think a good wifi password + high WPA setting (3 or 2-AES) should protect you fairly well too.  But I'm not an expert.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
EternalStudent
Apprentice

"after firmware update"

I've had things go weird after firmware updates.  I've read time and again that it's a best practice to factory reset after a router firmware update, then reconfigure your device as needed.  Similar to BIOS updates.  I assume because they don't test migrating all possible settings, but they do test if applying new settings from a reset state works well.

Some people mentioned doing a setting backup, then restore...but that seems like taking the same old (possibly bad/wrong) settings and reapplying them.  So I tend to just manually configure things again if I try this step.

This is one reason I haven't tried to whitelist my devices as you seem to be doing.  Yes it'd give a bit of extra protection from someone else using your network (unless they copy an existing MAC address), but I'd think a good wifi password + high WPA setting (3 or 2-AES) should protect you fairly well too.  But I'm not an expert.

Message 2 of 5
DevendraS
Aspirant

Hello EternalStudent,
Thanks for your reply.
After reading a lot posts I too was wondering if I need to reset and start over after the firmware update. The only thought that stopped me so far was, what if it does not work even after reset and repeat set up ? The process will easily take me a few hours and wanted someone who has had same/similar problem as mine to confirm if the reset / repeat setup fixed it for them.
It loos like this, being a best practice, is my only option at this time. So I am going to give it a try.

Thanks
Devendra
Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you try a full factory reset and setup from scratch after the FW was updated on the MS and MR? 

I recommend you back up the MRs configuration to file for safe keeping as well:

https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...

Message 4 of 5
DevendraS
Aspirant

So the full factory reset and setup from scratch worked. It took me couple of hours to get all the settings back but had no other choice.

I am now able to change the settings and even after a restart I do not loose them. Pi-Hole is now my DNS ... no more ads !!

Thanks for all your help @EternalStudent and @FURRYe38 

-Devendra

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7