Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Re: MR60 Backup settings don't backup

Kaherdin
Guide

MR60 Backup settings don't backup

Netgear. Are you TRYING to f up?!
I've backed up all my reserved up addresses. And what happens after a full reset, and I've restored my backup file?
Nothing! The backup backed up exactly NOTHING.

The nerve to even sell this pos is breath taking.
Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

What browser are you using? 

Does MS Edge, IE11 or Firefox do same thing? 

Message 2 of 9
Kaherdin
Guide

On the MR60 im using the latest firmware, as of Netgear product page for MK60/MR6x. 

I'm not enclined to try to do a backup, reset the MR60, and try a restore just to prove a point. 

My point is that the software pushed out by Netgear is lacking to the degree that they need to face the music and enable flashing of open scource software for the users IF the user wants to. 

Stop trying to stop me from utilizing the hardware, when in this case the software is lacking!! 

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Then you'll need to contact NG support and let them know what your having problems with then. 

Good Luck. 

Message 4 of 9
VolkartOfPhoto
Aspirant

I've had this router and 2 satellites for a week.  I'm having every single problem that every single other user of this device is.  Why roll out new firmware that doesn't fix any of the countless problems with the firmware that users are reporting?

My buddy bought this from Costco awhile back for like $300 and ended up not having the need for it due to where he ended up living.  I traded him a 2 handset panasonic cordless phone system with digital answering.  $130 I paid for those. 

I want my phones back.

Message 5 of 9
Sam100
Aspirant

Hi NG,

I also have an MR60 which I have now confirmed does nor backup reserved IP addresses not any other useful setting.

I spent an hour recording and administering the reserved IP range to my MR60...

Firmware Version: V1.1.6.122_2.0.58

Disappointment level 100.

Sam

Message 6 of 9
EternalStudent
Apprentice

My backup didn't work either.  I don't use reserved IP's, but I tried to save my setting from an old firmware to apply to a new one.  Since many people say to do a factory reset after any router firmware version change, and it seems dumb to need to setup the router from scratch every time.

And I can't just read the backup file to confirm it has my settings as it's a binary file (or looked to be the one time I opened it in Notepad++).

Sadly money talks.  We need to stop buying their products if we don't like how they "support" us...  The people on this forum are great, but I VERY rarely see anything from Netgear proper.  And often the help here is to work around weirdness in the product.

I'm 99% sure Asus routers are my future solution.  I like the sound of their AiMesh feature (haven't tried it yet), and there are community modified firmwares you can flash (Merlin).

Message 7 of 9
thep2
Initiate

I'm suffering the same fate. I had what I thought was a good backup, but every time I try to restore from factory and restore from backup it fails. It looks like it's going to work, but it doesn't do jack. Nothing.

This is a major failure. What good is the backup and restore functionality if it doesn't work?  Now I have to set up everything all over again. Not just on the MR60, but also on my devices that I had set up VPN on as well.

Add to this the fact you can't choose your bands on your 2nd network (guest network), and this stuff is just junk.  Returning both sets to Costco and buying ASUS.

Message 8 of 9
thep2
Initiate

BTW, the model MR60 doesn't even show up in the list to post on these forums.  Are these things even supported?

So, I found an older backup of my config and was able to restore from it.  So it appears that the latest firmware (V1.1.6.122) has an issue with creating a valid backup file, but can restore valid backup files without issue.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7