Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Re: MR60 Brand new will NOT activate Access from Anywhere

BOSLAD_9406
Aspirant

MR60 Brand new will NOT activate Access from Anywhere

I literally purchased this a X 1800 mesh Wi-Fi router and satellite just yesterday. Despite multiple hours on chat/phone with tech-support nothing will resolve the error when I attempt to activate Access from Anywhere. Same error message I have seen reported in other threads here “some error occurred.”
Firmware was updated immediately upon installation—2X!Router has been factory reset. Router was repeatedly rebooted. After about 90 minutes on the phone with tech he tried to reach L2 Support and they would not pick up his call. I use iPhone 11 to run the app. Very concerned that this is a known problem and would like to know if anyone else since beginning of 2021 has encountered and resolved this problem using same Product and mobile technology.
Message 1 of 4
antinode
Guru

> [...] purchased this a X 1800 mesh Wi-Fi router and satellite [...]

And connected it to what?  Some kind of modem, or some other router,
or what?

> [...] I have seen reported in other threads here [...]

Thanks for the helpful links.

> Some error occurred [...]

You have to admire the engineering that went into that app.

> Firmware was updated [...]

As always, an actual version number would be more useful than your
opinion of what's "updated" today.

Message 2 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Lack of any useful informtion as @antinode already mentioned ...

There are some overly secure ISP own DNS filtering or cloud provider's services like OpenDNS in some profiles) filtering many kinds of cloud systems, prohibiting to resolve the correct serive-IP addresses required to enable for Netgear's Anywhere Access.

Not sure this second if the MR60 does allow to configure alternate, different from the ISP default DNS IP addresses, e.g. Google's 8.8.8.8 and/or Cloudflare's 1.1.1.1 in the Internet connection settings.

Message 3 of 4
BOSLAD_9406
Aspirant

@antinode @schumaku appreciate your responses. I'm (clearly) a novice at this community crowdsourcing thing, hence the lack of additional details in my original post. 

So:

Answer 1: The MR60 router is connected directly to Verizon FIOS via an ethernet cable coming out of the box attached to the house -- no modem or other device required

Answer 2: Firmware was updated upon installation to V1.0.6.110; in addition, I'm using Nighthawk app for IOS version 2.8.2.0 on an iPhone 11

Answer 3: Below are four relevant links where this issue was previously reported - they are not identical in terms of router model or firmware version, but the issue is effectively the same:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Anywhere-Access/m-p/1998443

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Nighthawk-Anywhere-Access-won-t-turn-on/m-p/...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/Anywhere-Access/m-p/1975657

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Routers-with-WiFi-6-AX/Cannot-enable-Anywhere-Access-on-N...

Finally, an update: Netgear never followed up with me on the L2 support recommendation, but somehow as of this afternoon, the feature began working. I wish that I had a clear and concrete "solution" for others who may encounter this, but the only thing I can recommend is bugging the hell out of Netgear tech support (which is what I did) and secondly, waiting a few days to see if the problem resolves itself assuming you have the latest firmware and version of the app for your mobile device. @schumaku 's additional comments  ("Not sure this second if the MR60 does allow to configure alternate, different from the ISP default DNS IP addresses, e.g. Google's 8.8.8.8 and/or Cloudflare's 1.1.1.1 in the Internet connection settings.") may prove helpful to others with more technical knowledge/background than I have.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7