Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

MR60 Daylight Savings Time Started too Early - Router Loses Connection Daily Until Time Synced Up

mclemens
Guide

MR60 Daylight Savings Time Started too Early - Router Loses Connection Daily Until Time Synced Up

Problem: 

Router has been disconnecting/losing connectivity for about a week leading up to daylight savings time change aka DST. I remember incorrect time on my old routers was often the problem and yes my router showed my Eastern USA/Canada time as 1 hour behind actual time 1 week too early (Daylight Savings was to kick in Sunday Nov. 7, 2021 @2 am). Seems that DST issue causes DNS issues, so once a day for a week my internet was disrupted every morning. A similar thread for reference https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Daylight-Savings-Time-NTP-DNS-Issues/m-p/2073929. This issue showed up outside my 90-day support period, but my hardware is still covered under warranty for a while.

What didn't work:

1. I tried turning off/on automatic daylight savings time - no effect on time shown - it's as if it's ignoring the setting altogether. Tried using a different NTP server from default Netgear one etc. But my time remains 1 hour off from actual.
  2. Also, in some other threads it was mentioned to turn off traffic meter - mine was already off, so couldn't have been that.
  3. Then I updated my firmware to latest Firmware Version V1.0.6.116_2.0.54 for My Router: Nighthawk MR60. I think my prior version was 1.0.6.102.

Workaround:
I changed my timezone as a workaround so that it's in sync with current time and it was stable after that, then once real DST started in my timezone, I switched it back to my actual timezone. No connectivity issues during synced up time (via workaround, and subsequently when DST date arrived as per above).

I hope a new firmware version is released at some point to fix DST so that it starts and ends at the right date-time. Or if they could add a feature to enter our own date-times for starting/ending DST which I had on an older competitor's router. I expect this issue to repeat twice a year as DST starts and ends, until a fix is released.

My setup: Firmware Version V1.0.6.116_2.0.54 for Nighthawk MR60

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: MR60 Daylight Savings Time Started too Early - Router Loses Connection Daily Until Time Synced U

Message 2 of 4
mclemens
Guide

Re: MR60 Daylight Savings Time Started too Early - Router Loses Connection Daily Until Time Synced U

Thanks @FURRYe38 

I've performed the update shortly after I noticed your firmware post. After your reply in this thread I've attempted to turn DST automatic setting off and apply the setting, note the time after setting is applied and router reboots, and back on [router reboots after applying the setting], then note the time - no difference in time/behaviour. By that I mean the DST automatic setting box is still not doing anything to change my current time - it simply stays the same.

It appears the router's firmware #1 sets DST ON automatically independent if its setting is off/on, and #2 it simply miscalculates when it should've started [it started one week too early], which means it's correct for now [in sync with actual time for my timezone].

It was worth a try, and I thank you for your active support on the forums.

My new MR60 firmware is: v1.1.6.122

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Might have to wait to see what happens next year when DST triggers again. 

Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7