Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Re: MR60 / MS60 - Firmware Update v1.0.6.102

Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

MR60 / MS60 - Firmware Update v1.0.6.102

Hello Nighthawk Mesh Community,

There is a new firmware available for the MR60/MS60 to help address connectivity issues. We recommend updating to firmware version 1.0.6.102 if you are experiencing disconnect issues and/or slow speeds. Please feel free to chime in on this thread with any additional feedback regarding the firmware version. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000062202/MR60-MS60-Firmware-Version-1-0-6-102

Respectfully,

Christian 

Message 1 of 25
knightz01
Apprentice

Hi Christian,

Thanks for asking and here is my feedback, I'm afraid I am still stuck on Firmware Version 1.0.4.98 (MK63) with 20WiFi + 12 wired devices, this is fairly stable(not perfect), I have tried the below firmwares more than once but keep going back as like many others I am working from home and need stability, I have had to disable auto updates, my speeds are good.

I have also suffered from the port forward bug https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Mesh-System/Nighthawk-MK62-Port-forward-list-empty/td-p/1..., but found a work around not a fix.

1) Firmware Version 1.0.5.102(Many disconnects) of both the satellites & wifi clients after completing a factory default & new setup.

2) Firmware Version 1.0.6.102(Many disconnects) of both the satellites & wifi clients after completing a factory default & new setup.

Kev in the UK

Message 2 of 25
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi!

Im only using the router (without the satellite) with Firmware v1.0.6.102.
Im having the same issues as 2 previous firmwares ago:

[WLAN access rejected: incorrect security] from MAC address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

I only have 7 wireless devices (laptop, tablet, phones, tv).
I dont have any single issue with other devices.

Waiting for support for their answers regarding debug logs that i already sent.

PS: i found another issue, In Advanced - Logs: i had more than 500 lines of logs and tried to filter the "known DoS attacks and Port Scans", i was unable to do this because the web browser session to the router was reset all the time that i applied this filter. The work around was to clear the logs and then remove this "known DoS attacks and Port Scans" from the list.

I believe that the community will do a lot better if you give us the Telnet access to this thing.

Message 3 of 25
DaveNeely
Guide

Has anyone had issues with ethernet connectivity with the new firmware update? My new setup was working fine for several days, Nighthawk Mesh MR60 with 2 satelites. Router connected to a Netgear switch, which in turn has two other switches downstream. Combination of wireless and wired devices. All of sudden in the middle of the day all the ethernet devices stopped working, the computers can't get an IP address. Rebooted everything a million times, swapped cables etc no luck. 

Message 4 of 25
knightz01
Apprentice

@DaveNeely 

Same setup as you, switch at Router and two other unmanaged switches down wind, with v1.0.6.102 both WiFi clients and wired would disconnect, only putting router back to factory default would correct issue for me, so gave up and downgraded.

Message 5 of 25
DaveNeely
Guide

@knightz01 wrote:

@DaveNeely 

Same setup as you, switch at Router and two other unmanaged switches down wind, with v1.0.6.102 both WiFi clients and wired would disconnect, only putting router back to factory default would correct issue for me, so gave up and downgraded.

Ah interesting, I just downgraded to the 1.0.4xxx version but I haven't done a factory reset yet. I'll try that, still having issues with downstream switches being able to communicate with the router and get an IP address. Since you downgraded and did a factory reset, has the issue returned?

Message 6 of 25
DaveNeely
Guide

Thought I should close my loop for whomever might be reading this thread. After days of troubleshooting and pulling out what little hair I have left, I finally found my issue. It wasn't with the Nighthawk itself, it was with a new TP Link downstream switch I had installed at one of our computers. The timing of everything made it appear that this was unrelated, but after doing a lot of other things I finally had the notion to unplug every device from all my switches (I've actually got 4 on my network) and then plug each device in one by one and see if it caused any issues. I guess the bad device was somehow causing a loop, all the ports with cables plugged in when it was malfunctioning would blink together in unisom, not the normal erratic blinking when each port is processing traffic. So, thanks for the help and suggestions, and good luck to anyone who is struggling with these types of issues.

Message 7 of 25
knightz01
Apprentice

Ok I'm giving Firmware Version 1.0.6.102 another go, MK63 Router/Sats all reset to factory default & working perfectly @17:00 (UK)

I will keep you posted.

Kev

Message 8 of 25
knightz01
Apprentice

Firmware Version 1.0.6.102 update

Disconnects
Day 1 – 27/08/2020
1) No problem
Day 2 – 28/08/2020
1) Echo show (17hrs) – had to manually reconnect.
2) Network Map – (17hrs) noticed that satellites are in series not the star connection, 1hr later shows back to star config.
Day 3 – 29/08/2020
1) @16:00 Red light at the front of MR, everything disconnected whilst eating dinner, 4 minutes later everything re-connected apart from 1 x echo spot, 1 x echo show & 3 x smoke detectors.
2) @17:15 PLEX will not run without buffering, Rebooted MR, red light showing for approx. 4 mins
(i) 32 x devices reconnected out of 37.
(ii) 3 x smoke detectors solely on the Guest network did not reconnect.
(iii) Ref (ii) Guest network is now unticked and disabled in settings.

Kev

Message 9 of 25
knightz01
Apprentice

Day 4 – 30/08/2020

1) No problem

Day 5 – 31/08/2020

1) AM: Woke to find everything disconnected including smoke detectors, red lights on all nighthawk units.

2) Rebooted MR & Satellites, had to switch off/on most devices before they would reconnect.

3) After reboot guest network was disabled.

4) For safety regarding my smoke detectors I have gone back to Firmware Version 1.0.4.98 as I get at least 12 days plus, before a MR reboot.

@christian, again here is my feedback, If I can help pin this down please feel free to raise to the techs

Kev

Message 10 of 25
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Everyone, 

Thanks for the feedback. I have forwarded it to our product teams for further review. 

Regards,

Christian 

Message 11 of 25
WildernessGuy
Aspirant

This router is not working for me, so I have decided to return it. But I thought that I would offer my opinion that the problem may lie in the implementation of the S protocol. Because of the topology of my home, I often spend a significant portion of time in the overlap area between the router and the one satellite that I have deployed, and even spend a fair amount of time in an area that is almost exactly at the midpoint between the two; I seem to get the most network connection drops when I am in that overlap area. I think it's entirely possible that when a strong signal is present from both the router and the satellite, the S protocol implementation gets confused and switches between the two stations, which can take some time and it is possible that it gives up because it can't decide which station to connect to. It is conceivable that the thresholds for abandoning an existing connection to a station in favor of a new connection to a different station are not appropriately set and/or that the signal strength variability of the router is too great to properly assess the most appropriate station to connect to.

Message 12 of 25
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hello @Christian_R, do we have any update about this? any kind of new beta firmware?
I bought this on  june 30th and im still unable to use it...
3 different firmwares...

1 beta firmware...

2 support cases...
and yet we are like the beginning...

Message 13 of 25
Jo_D
Initiate

im experiencing the same issues as Kev has anyone else had issues trying to login to the routers web interface? Sometimes it will work then other times it will tell me my password is incorrect several times and when i reset it i will try to ligin again for it to tell me it is still incorrect. 😕

Message 14 of 25
Kahn267
Initiate

I bought this as it was the most expensive in the store and I wanted the best possible wifi experience at home (which I also work from)

Sadly after trying everything from community, other online forums, youtube, and of course updating to 1.0.6.102, I am still finding my phone + smart TVs dropping out 

the consistent "cannot find IP address" issue that I am starting to lose confidence owning another Netgear device.

Sadly I wanted to love this device but the idea that I have to reset the router every single day numerous times a day or every time I turn on my television is just something I don't think justifies the high price tag for this product.

Message 15 of 25
Chaddyshack
Aspirant

I have had zero problems with any of the previous Firmware versions.  I have always updated via the upload button in the web interface when I happen to be in it and see that there was an update rather than do it manually, so I unfortunately didn't have a copy of any previous versions.  This one (1.0.6.102) has broken my system.  I was able to back track to 1.0.4.92 from the support page, but .98 isn't downloading for me.  I was able to get 1.0.5.102 but that led to more "cannot get IP" messages.  I don't believe I was previously on 1.0.5.102.  Thankfully 1.0.4.92 has gotten things back to normal.  It's ironic that the update to address wifi connectivity broke mine.  #2020.

Message 16 of 25
knightz01
Apprentice

@Chaddyshack 

Try the link to 4-98(Fixes security issues), this has been working pretty stable for me in my set-up for weeks, as you may read above anything higher than 4-98 gives me alot of issues https://kb.netgear.com/000062067/MR60-MS60-Firmware-Version-1-0-4-98

knightz01 (Kev)

Message 17 of 25
Chaddyshack
Aspirant

Thanks...I tried that link yesterday but was getting an error that stated "can't be downloaded securely" and it would come in corrupt.  But for the sake of trying it again after your post I tried again and it downloaded...who knows??  Thanks for the reply...I certainly wouldn't have tried it again!  Now....do I risk upgrading even though I'm currently good?  Cross your fingers...I'll update after.

Message 18 of 25
Chaddyshack
Aspirant

@knightz01   Got it updated and pulling IP's.  I feel better with this one since it included the security update as well so thanks again!  Not sure why it wasn't downloading yesterday, but this is certainly working better than 1.0.6.102.

Message 19 of 25
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Christian_R

Any news about this?

I bought this on Jun 30Th, since then im unable to use this device due the wireless instability.

Do you have any update about this?
This is the way that netgear treats their customers? Just selling buggy devices, unfinished products? 

Message 20 of 25
Kahn267
Initiate

I sent mine back for refund. My old wifi router performs far better , no issues with my smart TVs .

Going to buy ASUS Mesh
Message 21 of 25
Gwired
Aspirant

Why isn't the MR60 in the recommended model list?

Anyway I am still experience many disconnects on multiple PC's (3) wherein it will switch to 2.4Ghz from 5Ghz frequently and then eventually completely disconnect on the 2.4Ghz.  These PC's are less than 20 feet from the router.  And  I have just downgraded to 1.0.4.98.... hopefully this fixes it.... but 1.0.6.102 does not!  And when this came on... was the cause of the disconnects but i didn't figure it out until now.

Message 22 of 25
me20201
Tutor

I'd like to love this router, but my home devices don't
I have the version 1.0.6.102 on MR and MSs.

The only problem I am facing, at random times the LAN trafic device to device is blocked.

Let's say my TV and my phone are both connected wirelesly on 5GHz band on MR. At times I cannot ping the TV from phone

Messages like no route to host , host down, etc.

Need to mention that during all this time, the TV and Phone works well when speaking about connection to internet.

If i move around house and my Phone gets connected to a satellite, then LAN connectivty comes back.

It feels like the default LAN route that any router shall have is going hayware. This seems completely random and I cannot pinpoint to any external factor causing it.

I even tried to assign static IPs and Static routes toward those devices, with no difference in behavior.

This is a big issue for me as I have various streaming devices (chromecasts), to which I can or cannot stream to because of this. Or I need to climb floors to make it work.

Interestingly though - the printer which is also wireless on 2.4G has not exhibited this behavior yet but it may be because I am seldom printing, comparing with music streaming.

There is a another thread on community on this exact topic, but I wanted to chime in here as well.

@Christian_R in case you have a suggestion please chime in.

I'd honestly say if I cannot get this fixed, this router will go back 

Message 23 of 25
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hello all,

I just wanted to tell you that last firmware seems to be more stable. However im using only the router (without the satelite).

But also, i want to share my final answer before i close the support case:

Hello XXXX!

Im testing this one since saturday.
Is much more stable than before. However my computer got kicked from the network without any reason.
Although it happened once.
I have to update the satellite.
However i will not keep this device as is still not good enough...
Really a lot of missing options/configurations.
I cannot setup specific SSID for specific band, mobile devices are jumping from one band to the other...
I already went for another solution, much more flexible and stable than this one.
So, thanks for your support... this is my last repply as i will never use a netgear product again, and of course, i will never recommend it.

Message 24 of 25
Jeff-Dalton
Tutor

I had a blackout and when power came back on my router prompted this update.  My two satellites failed to sinc the update and now they are no longer showing in my network so I can't even manually update them as one community member tried to show me how to do.  I called Tech support, but since I bought it in July, 6 months ago, they tell me they can helf fix the problem they caused with this faulty update for an extortion fee of $90.  Horrible customer service.

Message 25 of 25
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7