Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

MR60 Satellite FW corrupted, will not connect

ABG4280
Aspirant

MR60 Satellite FW corrupted, will not connect

I've owned the MK63 mesh system (MR60 with two MS60 satellites) for over 1 year with no major issues. Recently upgraded the FW using the app to v1.1.6.122. The FW pushed through the MR and one of the MS satellites fine, but not to the 2nd MS. The impacted MS has a slow pulsing white light, which tells me the FW was corrupted during the update and never made it to the device. It seems the 2nd MS is not recognized anywhere in my network, but the app shows it with a purple dot. I even accessed the network via http://routerlogin.net and the impacted satellite is not visible at all.

I tried a system reboot, a hard rese, factory reset on the 2nd MS to no avail (the white light continues to pulse slowly). I even tried to add the device as a new satellite, no luck. I cannot perform a manual FW upgrade to the 2nd MS either. I even tried to wire connect my PC to the back of the MS, but there is no connection to the satellite's web page whatsoever. What do you recommend I do next?

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
ABG4280
Aspirant

Re: MR60 Satellite FW corrupted, will not connect

Thanks for the input. Tried refreshing using PC and failed, did it on a Mac and took 2 minutes. The odd part was that during the re-flashing, the light of the device is supposed to be "Amber". Instead, it was slow pulsing white, which meant issues with the FW.

For reference:

Fast pulsing white = attempting to sync to router

Pulsing Amber (or Slow pulsing white) = firmware corrupted, no connectivity

Solid blue = synced to router, connected to the internet, all good

Solid Amber = unable to connect to the internet or synced (offline)

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
ABG4280
Aspirant

Further UPDATE:

I found instructions on how to update the firmware for NETGEAR routers using TFTP. I downloaded the latest firmware from the MS60 support page and then I followed these instructions:

https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-client

However, the firmware update stalled at about 40% and stopped. The satellite continued to pulse the white light at all times. 

Any suggestions/recommendations?

Message 2 of 5
plemans
Guru

and if that doesn't work, you can try using nmrpflash
https://github.com/jclehner/nmrpflash

Message 3 of 5
EternalStudent
Apprentice

I'd be curious to hear what the various light colors mean.  I typically see amber while booting and blue when mostly functional (router has IP, and satellite sees router).  I haven't tried looking during a flash.

If you can't get it to work after a few tries (and that other program), I'd try the older flash again.  Not try to upgrade during the recovery.  Just grasping at anything else that might work and be different...

Message 4 of 5
ABG4280
Aspirant

Thanks for the input. Tried refreshing using PC and failed, did it on a Mac and took 2 minutes. The odd part was that during the re-flashing, the light of the device is supposed to be "Amber". Instead, it was slow pulsing white, which meant issues with the FW.

For reference:

Fast pulsing white = attempting to sync to router

Pulsing Amber (or Slow pulsing white) = firmware corrupted, no connectivity

Solid blue = synced to router, connected to the internet, all good

Solid Amber = unable to connect to the internet or synced (offline)

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7