Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

MR60 Satellite won't connect

aandmhill
Tutor

MR60 Satellite won't connect

After doing an update, 1 of 2 satellites wont connect.  Tried customer support, but no help there.  System is less than 30 days old and was functioning great until the update. App shows zero firmware or IP address for the particular satellite..  I've re booted, re started, every way I can find to, several times.  Always comes back on with a blue light.  Satellite with serial number shows up on my app, but with a purple dot next to it.

Message 1 of 39

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: MR60 Satellite won't connect

You need to update the MS before updating the MR. Keep this in mind for future updates. 

What you need to do is factory reset the MS. Wire connect a PC to the 1st satellite. Already have the most current FW version files downloaded on to this PC. 

Wire connect 1 PC to the back of the MS. Factory reset the MS, wait about 5 minutes. The PC will get a IP address from the satellite. The RBS will be 192.168.1.250. Use this IP address in a web browser to log in to the satellites web page. Log in as admin and password. Use the satellites web page FW update feature to select the FW update file that was unpacked from the .zip file. Then factory reset and then re-sync the satellites to the MR. 

View solution in original post

Message 38 of 39

All Replies
dmode101
Aspirant

I'm having the same issue after upgrading to the latest firmware released last week: 1.0.6.110
Message 2 of 39
LesBaz
Aspirant

Right there with you after this firmware update to 1.0.6.110 on my MK63 system, one satellite doesn't show connected in the Nighthawk app and the devices connected to that one satellite never list out either.  I have found that my devices are all connecting to my network under the groups 'Devices' section of the app, and I know that all the router and satelites are working as some of my devices wouldn't connect if the satellite was really down.  I use a stand alone wifi scanner and I see my router and both satellite SSID's just fine.  After this firmware update I have better results using the web interface to manage my system, but even that isn't perfect and the app was much easier to use.  Hopefully Netgear fixes this soon as it is really frustrating managing my network like this right now.  If this goes on much longer I may try to manually rollback the firmware to the prior version.

Message 3 of 39
aandmhill
Tutor

I have a few devices that show up as 'wired' now, which is odd as one of them is a phone.  So you're saying even though it doesnt show up as 'working' in the app, it really IS working?  I'm not savvy at all with things like this, but it would be nice if something resembling support was actually available.  Is there a way to confirm its still working?  

Message 4 of 39
nofish
Aspirant

I'm having the same issue since the update to 1.0.6.110.  One satellite shows up and the other isn't in the map.  Any devices connected to the satellite that isn's showing up are connected as "wired".  I even completed a factory reset of my system with no change.    

Has anyone found a fix for this?  

Message 5 of 39
aandmhill
Tutor

What I THINK is happening, is that my phone app needs to be updated too, but I'm not aware of an update available for it yet.  When I moved the affected satellite to an area far away from the base and other satellite and then checked my phone app, all the devices that should be connected to it were indeed connected.  Issue is that they all show up as 'wired', and they dont show up on the individual satellite icon on my app.  They show up on the base icon, as 'wired' - even my phone.  For now I'm not concerned, as the lights blue and it looks like its doing the right things - they just dont show up that way on my phone app.  I'd like to think that they'll offer a phone app update soon, but I'd be suspect of it working properly at this point.

Message 6 of 39
MoFunkyFresh25
Aspirant

I'm having the exact same problem.

Netgear, please help!

Message 7 of 39
cobra_808
Initiate

Okay looks like a growing list of customers with the same problem. I also have the same issue after update v1.0.6.110. For the record I have rebooted, factory reset router and both satellites . I have rerun the set up a few times as well. On the app it shows only 1 satellite-connected as well as on the browser. Although if I go to the home page on the browser on the home page icon has attached devices and number of satellites which actually says 2 if you hit the icon which takes you to the attached devices page it only shows the router and 1 satellite. Maybe it's just a glitch with the software that they are actually both connected but it's only seeing the satellite system as one. Okay, I have even been troubleshooting this as I have been writing this and I have LAN connections on both satellites which are showing as connected as LAN in the list of attached devices. So it is definitely an issue with the software not showing 2 satellites but in fact, the satellites are connected. 

Message 8 of 39

I had the same problem.  Internet kept turning off and rebooting.  I was able to solve it with customer support but thought i'd document it and post it here. There should be an attachment that is poorly put together but will give you the basic steps. It's so frustrating that the satellites don't update with the router.  

I've also set my router to not do automatic updates which mean i'll have to remember to go in and look for them.

Message 9 of 39
dserang
Guide

One added detail is that my AX1800 MR60 + MS60 + MS60 system has both of the satellites connected to a wired Ethernet switch also connected to the MR60 so both satellites have a wired connection to the MR60 but with the switch in between.

Before I updated the firmware in both MS60 satellites the iOS Netgear app correctly showed my system's Network Map. After the update it showed only one of the satellites but when I used a laptop having a wired connection to the switch to the MR60 and browsed to routerlogin.net and selected Advanced tab; Administration; Router Update the status listed all of the MR60 and two separate MS60 satellites and indicated that all three have V1.0.6.110 firmware installed so the issues encountered don't seem caused by having different firmware versions installed across the Netgear devices.

I then rebooted the MR60 router and power cycled both MS60 satellites and the Ethernet switch. That changed the results to new, incorrect ones. The iOS iOS Netgear app's Network Map indicates that one satellite is wire connected with 'green light' status and wired connect (correct) it also displays the second satellite with 'red light' status and only a dotted line connection to the first satellite (seems wrong). Browsing to routerlogin.net however shows:

• Basic tab; Home - Attached Devices: Number of satellites: 1
  • Advanced tab; Administration; Router Update - shows status for only the MR60 and one satellite.

The LED on both satellites is continuous 'blue light' and that seems inconsistent with what the iOS Netgear app and routerlogin.net administration show (and the latter two don't agree with one another). I haven't been experiencing any apparent loss of connectivity but my device might not be connected to the physically closest satellite as they should be and in any case the iOS app and routerlogin.net administration reports indicate that something is wrong (only one satellite visible with 'green light status') aren't the same so I can't tell the true status of the system.

I also tried disconnecting the Ethernet cable from both satellites then the single satellite that appears in the iOS app Network Map changes from wired to wireless connection, which seems correct. The second satellite might be out of range from the MR60 router so that might explain why it doesn't connect via wireless.

My physical setup places the MR60 at my house front, one satellite in the middle and the second satellite at the house back so the second satellite is far from the router (but the two are wire-connected through the switch). The physical placement is per the Netgear installation guidance, which doesn't indicate anything about how wired connections so I don't know if that might be a factor.

Summary: Before updating the satellites to V1.0.6.110 firmware all looked good but after the update both the iOS Netgear app and routerlogin.net administration present different information and neither seems to present correct information.

Message 10 of 39
ericanam
Initiate

My router got auto updated to version V1.0.6.110 but my sat was in old version.  Took me a day trying to connect the sat unit with no luck.  Reset the sat unit but didn't want to reset the router unit as i didn't want to mess with it until the weekend.  How did I figure out my sat unit was older firmware???  I connected the unit via ethernet cable to the router unit.  What's when I could see the sat unit and upgrade the firmware to the same.  Guess what?!?!  Sat unit still doesn't connect!  Not recommending Netgear ever!

Message 11 of 39
Intel1234
Guide

I am having exact same problem after updating the latest firmware.

On my satellite 1 I have to login with deafult username (admin) and password as (password).

I am still having a problem even though I have update the firmware individually by login on to satellite individually. Not sure what else I need to do.

Please let me know if I am missing anything.

Message 12 of 39
dserang
Guide

I have contacted Netgear tech support about this issue, which is that satellites do not appear after updating an AX1800 MR60 + MS60 + MS60 (two satellites) mesh network's system to v1.0.6.110 firmware. Only one of the two satellites is presented by both the iOS Nighthawk app and also the www.routerlogin.net web page served by the MR60 router unit. In my system both of the satellites are wire connected to the MR60 router via an Ethernet switch.

Both of my satellites' status LEDs are continuously blue. The technician explained the following.

1. A continuously blue LET indicates on a satellite indicates that it is operating correctly and connected to and synchronized with the MR60 router so both of my satellites are actually properly linked to the router and working.

2. That both iOS app and www.routerlogin.net displays of my systems devices fail to show one of my two satellites is definitely a problem. Netgear will investigate and fix this/these issues. When a fix is available then Netgear will contact customers via email and or the Nighthawk app.

The technician understands that the issue was introduced by upgrading MR60 and MS60 firmware to v1.0.6.110 so that detail will be considered in Netgear's investigation.

I have used other Netgear equipment for at least five years and have found that it performs well and also is supported well by Netgear. I expect this current issue will take some time to investigate and correct. Until that happens it's good that my system's seemingly missing (but actually present) satellite is actually working fine so, for me, this issue is a confusing annoyance that has cost me several hours of time to investigate but hasn't degraded my AX1800 WiFi 6 mesh network's performance. Hopefully Netgear will get this fixed sooner than later.

Message 13 of 39
Intel1234
Guide

I have had same issue lately. I tried almost everything but finally I was able to fix it by downgrading the router firmware prior to the latest one which is 1.0.6.102 but both of my satelites are on latest version.

Looks like this is a bug in their latest firmware (1.0.6.110) and when you call them they will ask you to buy support which is almost $90. Even though this is happening becuase of  their buggy firmware.

Message 14 of 39
Intel1234
Guide

I have had same issue lately. I tried almost everything but finally I was able to fix it by downgrading the router firmware prior to the latest one which is 1.0.6.102 but both of my satelites are on latest version.

Looks like this is a bug in their latest firmware (1.0.6.110) and when you call them they will ask to buy support which is almost $90. Even though this is happening becuase of  their buggy firmware.

Message 15 of 39
Jeff-Dalton
Tutor

Same with me.  I just got off the phone and they would be happy to help after their defectively designed product inaccurately updated the firmware on my router, but in the process lost my two satelites.  What a scam.  Pay us $90 and we will fix the problem we caused with the faulty update.  My router works, but now I have an expensive mesh system that does not work any better than my old router since the satelites no longer show up in my network.  I had someone in the community tell me how to manually update them, but is like they no longer exist anymore so that fix would not work.  I tried to add them through online set up but they were no longer discoverable, probably because of the firmware being different.  Would not recommend this product to anyone.  Just bought them in July and already defective.  Or as they say, not defective, just need us to help you fix it....for $90.

Message 16 of 39
Intel1234
Guide

I think you dispute those charges with the credit card company.
Message 17 of 39

After weeks of upgrading and downgrading the firmware and restarting we weren’t able to get consistent connectivity. I disconnected it, took it back to Costco and installed the Orbi today. Much better. Word to the wise, get Orbi at Costco if you can. It’s half the price of Best Buy.
Message 18 of 39

Ditch the nighthawk. I had stable connectivity for about a day but then it’s been bad for two weeks. I went with Orbi and set it for manual update to avoid this mess.
Message 19 of 39
Niala418
Initiate

Managed to downgrade to former firmware version on both the router and a satellite but still can'y find the satellite number 2, will see if Best Buy will replace or reimburse. 

Message 20 of 39
mbabbe
Initiate

I am not sure if my problem is the same, but I am also unable to connect to two satelites. Is there any resolution?

In my case, I had a two-node model (MR60 + MS60) but the main MR60 router was water damaged, so I bought another new two node (MR60 + MS60) system, with the hopes of using the old, undamaged satelite with the new main router. It had always been my intention to have 3 nodes, so that softened the blow of losing my main router.

When I installed the new main router, it updated firmware as part of the instalation process to v1.0.6.110. I see that the new MS60 satelite has the same firmware version of v1.0.6.110. I have no way to check what firmware the old MS60 satelite (the one that will not add).

When I try to add the satelite; I did a factory reset, tried to add in the phone app, hit the sync button when prompted, but if fails to find the Satelite that is sitting 3 feet from the main MR60 router. The light on the satelite turns blue, but I dont see it in my network  map on the app.

Has everyone just been left out on their own with no hopes of adding this satelites?

Message 21 of 39
Cutback99
Aspirant

This is really annoying not having all the sattelites working as they should - the update borked the firmware and there is no way to connect to it

Message 22 of 39
Niala418
Initiate

Great news, Netgear support fixed my issue with my MS60 that "lost" and could not be idenitified by my MR60. I have succeeded in reloadig the previous firmware to both my MR60 and one MS60 as the second MS60 was not recognized since the latest firmware update, I also ste the update to manual...

With the help of the Netgear It support we proceeded to a hard reset on the MS60 that was not conneting. Everything when fine after that.

To do a hard reset. Press and hold "all the time" the reset button with a paper clip or any pin you may find. With power on, press and hold the reset through the pin hole for 10sec, unplug the power while maintaining the pressure on the reset for 30 sec. Put back power while maintaining the same pressure for 30 other sec. then let go and see if it connects. Worked fine for mine.

Good luck

Message 23 of 39
dserang
Guide

In my case the MR60 MS60 V1.0.6.110 software upgrade made one of my two MS60 satellites only ***appear*** not to be connected however it actually is and is operating with its LED status light continously blue. That update's release notes read:

1. Fixed security issues.

2. Fixed the issue where Armor won’t identify joined satellite as a vulnerable device.

Having a security issue fixed seems important to me so I'm not inclined to roll back the installed firmware to the older version that never exhibited the symptom we're all writing about.

In a 13 Feb 2021 Netgear chat support session I was walked through power cycling and hard resetting the MS60 satellite that won't appear on either browser or iOS Nighthawk apps however that didn't help at all and the continously blue status LED reportedly means the "missing" satellite is actually present and operating fine. Netgear escalated my case to a phone support call the same day and when we finished performing various tests the support person acknowledged that there must be a Netgear problem, apparently either in the way the browser- and iOS-based management apps "talk to" the missing MS60 or the way that MS60 reports its information. In any case the support person assured me that Netgear would properly resolve the matter, perhaps by issuing an update to the brower- and iOS-based apps, not the MR60 or MS60.

Almost three weeks have passed and three days ago the iOS Nighthawk app was updated to version 2.8.5.16 however, MOST UNFORTUNATELY, updating to that did not fix the problem; it still doesn't properly display my "missing" satellite. (The "missing" satellite appears in the Network Map view but connected via a dotted line and with a "bad" red status dot that should instead be "good" green.

So Netgear, it seems only fair to ask you to please openly address this annoying issue and indicate what will be done and when a fix is estimated to be provided without having to purchase a support contract to units that are under warranty. Would you (Netgear) do that please?

Message 24 of 39
Donni
Aspirant

One satellite keeps failing and disconnects. It is not so far away from the main unit but keeps failing. 

Message 25 of 39
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7