Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

MR60 as wireless AP confusion

lschwarcz
Tutor

MR60 as wireless AP confusion

Hi everyone,

I have an MR60 (Nighthawk MK63 AX1800) setup with one satellite that are working fine right now. I have a separate structure here and have pulled a CAT6A cable to there and want to use another MR60 there as an AP. 

I started following the instructions in the manual (page 67 of the User Manual).

As instructed, I connected the Internet port on the AP router to the Ethernet port on my primary router.

I did this but when I access routerlogin.net I believe I'm connected to the primary router, not the second one I want to use as the AP. 

How do I specifiy which router I'm configuring? It's the second router I want to use as an AP, not the one I believe I'm seeing in the web browser. 

Thanks!

Larry.

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: MR60 as wireless AP confusion

Problem that you're running into is the primary is on the default ip address and the 2nd set wants to use that same address. Frequently they'll default to a 10.0.0.1 address but if you're not on that subnet, you won't be able to access it. 

So if you take the 2nd set that you have, disconnect it from the primary and reboot it (2nd set). Then if you connect a pc/laptop to it (2nd set), when you go to the routerlogin address, it should stay on the 2nd set. That allows you to set it up how you want it (ssid/password). Once thats done, then change it to access point mode. At that point, you'll connect it to your primary router. When you connect it to the primary, it'll get an ip address from the primary and work. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

so you're adding a whole new set? 

If you just added one of the satellites, it'd wire in fine. 

Otherwise, what you need to do is on the 2nd one you're adding, simple leave it disconnected from the primary router during setup. 

Once you have it set the way you want, put it in access point mode and then connect it to the primary router. 

Message 2 of 4
lschwarcz
Tutor

Hi plemans, 

Sorry but I don't follow. 

I'm not adding a satellite. I have two routers (MR60). One is currently setup and running as the primary router with a satellite.

I want to setup the second router (MR60) as an AP in a separate building. It will all be the same wireless network.

When I connect to the network from my browser the instructions imply that I'll be connected to the new one I want to configure as an AP but I believe I'm actually connecting to the primary one that I already setup (not an AP). 

What's confusing to me is that the instructions imply that I'll be connected to the one I want to configure as an AP but I'm actually connected to my existing primary router.

The second step of the instructions says, "Launch a web browser from a computer or mobile device that is connected to your mesh network."

So it seems they are not telling me to somehow take the existing primary router out of the setup while configuring the new one.

Does this make it any clearer?

Thanks,

Larry.

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

Problem that you're running into is the primary is on the default ip address and the 2nd set wants to use that same address. Frequently they'll default to a 10.0.0.1 address but if you're not on that subnet, you won't be able to access it. 

So if you take the 2nd set that you have, disconnect it from the primary and reboot it (2nd set). Then if you connect a pc/laptop to it (2nd set), when you go to the routerlogin address, it should stay on the 2nd set. That allows you to set it up how you want it (ssid/password). Once thats done, then change it to access point mode. At that point, you'll connect it to your primary router. When you connect it to the primary, it'll get an ip address from the primary and work. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7