Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

MR60 does not allow to connect Wifi Speaker, but MS60 allows.

youngjaekim
Aspirant

MR60 does not allow to connect Wifi Speaker, but MS60 allows.

Hi.

I have 2 wifi speakers and all of them can be synced and played via Chromecast + YouTube Music. It's cool.

But, one thing I've found really weired issue.

It does not connected when both Phone and Speaker are connected to MR60. Both phone-and-speaker are in same MR60 only. It works fine when both are in same MS60.

Note that "not connected" issue does not related to Chromecast. Each speaker vendor app also cannot reach to the speaker. 

Tested speakers and phone.

1. Naim Muso2 and its vendor app.

2. B&O Beosound Level and its vendor app.

3. Samsung Galaxy S21 phone.

All of them are connected by 5Ghz.  No Guest wifi and Access Control. Satellites are connected via wired lan. All MR/MS have latest firmware (v1.1.6.122).

Below images are my experiments. Only MR60 has issue, not in MS60.

MR60.jpg

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: MR60 does not allow to connect Wifi Speaker, but MS60 allows.

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What happens if you turn OFF both MS and let your devices connect to the MR? 

Message 2 of 6
youngjaekim
Aspirant

Hi.

1. Firmware

I've upgraded firmware 1.1.6.122 to latest 1.1.7.132 and it's still not working.

2. Shutdown MSs

Same. The phone cannot reach to Speakers

3. Airplay also not working

I found iPhone XS AirPlay also shows same symptom; not working in MR, but works well as the image depics.

I think MR blocks device-to-device communication. hmm. I couldn't found but is there any configuration related to allow/block between connected devices in MR station? I'm not using Access Control nor DMZ.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed yet? Don't load any saved backup from file. 

Being that the MR would be the only one online with your devices, it should not be blocking anything. Odd that this is working with the MS but not the MR...

Message 4 of 6
youngjaekim
Aspirant

I resolved by this thread; https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Wi-Fi-6-AX-Mesh/MR60-Mesh-and-Chromecast/m-p/2168338/high...

settings/advanced/advanced setup/wireless settings - and then uncheck the "Enable AX" box. Then i went thru and was able to connect all (3) of my chromecast devices - SUCCESS FINALLY !!!

The referenced thread shows two solutions; (1) uncheck "Disable IGMP" and (2) uncheck "Enable AX"

The first one does not resolve the issue, but second works!!!!

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working.

There's newer FW as well. 

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7