Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

MR60 how do I reduce the broadcast power?

OrangeTerror
Tutor

MR60 how do I reduce the broadcast power?

Hi Community,

I’ve a large location, 3 floors, wood/Sheetrock & HVAC, kitchenette area - complaints about WiFi led me to purchase a MR60 as a router and 3 MS60s for each of the floors. MR60 and 1 MS60 are on the same floor (MS60 wirelessly connected) the other 2 MS60 are Ethernet connected and the app network diagram shows them meshed to the MR60.
All wired and wireless traffic goes through the MR60 to the cable modem.

When I use the Nighthawk app, NONE of the MS60s have any devices connected, so I’m thinking the MR signal is too strong. 
Can I change the MR60 broadcast power?

Latest firmware on all gear.

Thank you!

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: MR60 how do I reduce the broadcast power?

Have you tried actually logging into the individual MS60's (using their IP address) to confirm nothings connected? 

It wouldn't be the first time the app/gui didn't display the connections right. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 8

All Replies
microchip8
Master

No. It's fixed and not adjustable mostly to comply with organizations like the FCC and its European counterpart.
Message 2 of 8
plemans
Guru

Have you tried actually logging into the individual MS60's (using their IP address) to confirm nothings connected? 

It wouldn't be the first time the app/gui didn't display the connections right. 

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between MR and MS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/000061709/Where-should-I-place-the-Mesh-WiFi-satellite-of-my-Nighthawk-Mesh-W... 📡

Message 4 of 8
OrangeTerror
Tutor

Weird!

yes - the app lied. Thank you!  
I had not thought of the web administration page!

Too bad we can’t “ tune” the power - understand about what another helper said about FCC max, but govern that via the software based on country regs, I want to REDUCE not enhance. 

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

Glad it was just mis-displaying. 

In terms of the power, the MK60 system is a dual band system. Meaning it doesn't have the dedicated backhaul of the triband systems. If you're reducing power on it, it can impact the connection back to the main router. It might make connecting devices more stable but make the backhaul slower/unstable. 

Just guessing but that could be one of the reasons to lock that feature. 

Message 6 of 8
OrangeTerror
Tutor

Thanks again!

im now thinking of faraday caging the MR - and connecting the lone Wi-Fi connected MS to Ethernet because I’m still seeing too many devices skipping their closer AP. 
this may be a 30’ distance issue, but I can’t accept that given the size and construction materials. 

Message 7 of 8
plemans
Guru

Simply try turning a few off. Maybe you have to much overlapping coverage. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7