Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

MR60 slow LAN speeds by over 60%

NoVaJB
Aspirant

MR60 slow LAN speeds by over 60%

I'm not sure when this started but I'm on firmware 1.1.6.122 and speed tests on wired LAN is about 63% slower than when I plug directly into my Fios router.
When plugged into the MR60 I'm getting approximately 330 Mbps.
When plugging the same cable into the Fios router it's 900 Mbps.

Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: MR60 slow LAN speeds by over 60%

What fios router are you connecting it to? 

How are you testing speeds? (what device, website, app, etc)

Are you testing wired speeds? Wireless speeds? 

Message 2 of 7
NoVaJB
Aspirant

The Fios router is Fios-G1100

Testing Lan internet speeds using pc with GB Lan card. Tested using fast.com and speed.cloudflare.com, wired speed is 330 Mbps on the MR60 and 900 Mbps when plugging the same cable into the Fios router.
Wireless speeds are about 450 Mbps depending on the laptop.
Message 3 of 7
NoVaJB
Aspirant

For context, the first speed test is direct into the Fios router, the second is the same cable plugged into the MR60 LAN port. It wasn't always slow, I'm assuming a firmware upgrade is causing this. 

Fios router.PNGMR60 test.PNG

Message 4 of 7
plemans
Guru

Make sure on the MR60 that you have access control, traffic monitoring, qos, and parental controls disabled, then reboot it and try. 

Is the fios router in router mode or passthrough mode? 

Message 5 of 7
NoVaJB
Aspirant

Somehow QoS was turned on, I turned it off and now I'm getting about 600 Mbps which is much better but I also signed up for a free 30 day trial of smart parental controls, it doesn't appear that there is a way to turn it off, but it expires on 5/10/22 so hopefully tomorrow I see a difference. 

Message 6 of 7
plemans
Guru

If that doesn't help, 2 things. 

1. factory reset and reinstall. leave those services disabled

2. check to ensure the g1100 is in passthrough mode. otherwise you could be in a double nat. 

A double nat happens when you cascade more than 1 router.
https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Fixes? There’s 3 options but only use 1.
1. Put the modem/gateway in modem only/pass through mode. This disables its routing functions.
2. Leave the modem/gateway in router mode but put the Netgears IP address into its DMZ. This forwards the data to the netgear. You can either leave the modem/gateway’s wireless enabled or disabled. Just make sure its using a different wifi channel to prevent interference
3. Put the Netgear into access point mode. This disables its routing functions. Wifi/ethernet still works but it does disable some features.
https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Which-features-are-disabled-on-my-NETGEAR-router-when-it-is-set-to-AP-M...

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7