Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

MR60 - speedtest shows varying results - slow

rdt40ish
Aspirant

MR60 - speedtest shows varying results - slow

All,  I had recently bought the ORBI and was getting great results ... app showed speed test or 1.1 MPS/ downloads.  Unfortunately, my decorator wife hated the look and it wouldnt fit into my media panel where all my "stuff" comes into the house.  

I returned and replaced it with the Nighthawk MR60 where i can fit the router in my pannel and backhaul the other two satelites around the house.  Perfect.

My quesiton is the Nighthawk app is showing download internet speed of < 100 MPS!!!  (upload around 40).  If i do a download speed from my laptop, its 5-600 MPS.  If i install an independant android app on my phone its showing <700 MPS.

This is crazy and dont understand!!  Again, my orbi app was consistenly showing 1.1 GPS. (before i had to return)!!!  WTF!

Thinking about returning this but before i do thoughts!!

Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: MR60 - speedtest shows varying results - slow

A couple thoughts. 

1. You didn't put what orbi you had but if it was the AX triband version, they're a little higher performing. 

2. The speedtest is a rough one. Reason why is multiple. first is that the built in speedtest through the netgear app isn't reliable as it doesn't pick the fastest server. It usually just  picks the closest. Also, if you're testing on a wireless device and NOT using the netgear app (using speedtest app), then the speed is usually based on your wireless signal to your router. Which if you're on 2.4ghz, is much slower. Eitherway, neither band will max out gigabit speeds. 

3. For speedtesting, to max out gigabit, we recommend hardwiring in a pc/laptop and using several different test sites to test with. not all can max out gigabit or might get a bad sever for testing. 

4. Also, you have the router in a media cabinet? Is it a metal cabinet (many media cabinets are)?

I'd recommend reading a bit about wifi performance and expectations. 

https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html

Message 2 of 4
rdt40ish
Aspirant

Thanks and yes my "media" cabinet is metal though i've had it standing open while i test this out.  Simply interesting i get different speeds sitting in same spot.  Also,  because i briefly had Orbi, i know what is possible.  ~60 MPS vs 1.1 GPS is a huge difference.

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

You also put other numbers that you were hitting. 

So the 60mbps, was that over 2.4ghz or 5ghz?

Were you connected to the router or the satellite? 

what device were you testing on? 

what orbi did you have? 

Were you testing with the built in speedtest or the speedtest app (need to define for each result)

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7