Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

MR62 DNS in AP mode

niallg
Aspirant

MR62 DNS in AP mode

I have an MR62 configured as an AP and with another upstream router that it configured as the DHCP server..  The DNS of the router is set to Open DNS but the DNS requests from the wireless clients connecting through the MR62 are using 8.8.8.8.   There is no option to change the DNS server when in AP mode because, well the MR62 should not be assigning DNS.  Anyone else have this issue?

Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: MR62 DNS in AP mode

In AP mode, those features are disabled. So the devices are either getting it from the primary router or their own built in dns server. 

Which features are disabled on my NETGEAR router when it is set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Suppor...

Message 2 of 3
niallg
Aspirant

Re: MR62 DNS in AP mode

niallg_0-1651270151019.png

Hi @plemans. thanks for your reply.    My PC is set to receive DNS server address from the router, which is set to 208.67.222.123 The problem is it that the MR60 despite being in AP mode seems to be setting it to 8.8.8.8.  I know it is supposed to be disabled in AP mode but it isn't.  That is the problem. 

And by the way many of the functions listed in the document at that link are not disabled such as Guest Network, Access Control and Parental controls are available in AP mode on the MR60

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7