Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

MR63 5Ghz channel changing

mattdeluca
Guide

MR63 5Ghz channel changing

Hello all, 

I have had my MR63 (MR60 + 2x Satellites) setup for a year now and has been rock solid until now. I have notice recently that the 5Ghz channel changes itself which is ok but it moves the channel to a very congested one, normally 48, which in turn kills the wireless throughput to my devices. I have set the channel to 100 as this appears to have zero congestion on it using the 3rd party wifi analyzer app on my phone and is NOT marked as DFS when selected on the router. It's ok for a few days on channel 100 but then moves itself. When I log into the MR60, it still shows as on channel 100 but the 3rd party app it then suggests that it has changed so I have to change the channel to something else then change it back to 100 then it's ok again for a few days.

Anyone know why it changes and and if it can be turned of? Other routers (BT Home hub) give the option to turn off smart switching. I don't see why it would move channels to a more congested one? 2.4Ghz seems ok and doesn't deviate from the selected channel. 

I know there was issues with the firmware 116 with satellites dropping connection and I was having the same issues with the channels on this firmware but the sattelite issue seems to have been resolved with the 122 firmware but I'm still experiencing the channels issues.

Any help/suggestions would be amzing as it's driving me insane

Thanks in advance Smiley Very Happy

Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: MR63 5Ghz channel changing

It is a DFS channel. Channels 50-144 are DFS channels and will auto switch if they detect radar on those channels. 

List of WLAN channels - Wikipedia

Message 2 of 5
mattdeluca
Guide

Yeah I thought that, I can't remember what the result was when I set it to one of the channels at the lower end of the scale but I'm pretty sure it moved itself from there too. I will try again but I'm sure it would have been something I would have tried. Unfortunatley the MR60 doesn't allow you to choose any channel lower than 36. Is the MR60 not compatable with 10, 20, 40Mhz channel width?

Cheers

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Channel 100 is a DFS channel and the system maybe moving it do to some detection of aircraft radar around your area. 

Is channel 149-165 available on the MR? Is channel 36 or 40 congested? 

Message 4 of 5
plemans
Guru

10/20/40 channel width are different than the actual channels. The width (in simple terms) goes over how many channels they span across. For example, if you're using 80hz wide channels, even if you select channel 36, it spans from channels 36-44 because of the width. 

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7