Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

MS60 Flashing White (MR60 + 3 Sat Mesh)

enifsieus
Guide

MS60 Flashing White (MR60 + 3 Sat Mesh)

One of my satellites is suddenly non-functional. The LED goes briefly solid white on boot, and then starts flashing white ad infinitum.  Holding reset for well over 30 seconds does not seem to do anything at all. Sync does not seem to do anything at all - I have attempted to re-add the device as well.

Any tips here? I thought all of my sats were non-functional at first, downgraded firmware, and ended up losing my router config (oops). I've rebuilt it, and added the other satellites just fine, but this one is still flashing white.

Any secret to get this sucker to drop its whole config and re-sync?

Message 1 of 24
enifsieus
Guide

Re: MS60 Flashing White (MR60 + 3 Sat Mesh)

I should also mention firmware is at 1.1.6.122 on all nodes.

Message 2 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

So turn OFF all MS and take 1 MS and power it ON and sync the MS near or in same room as the MR? 

Use the sync process. Press the sync button on the MR and MS and see if the MS will FULLY sync up...If you can get one to sync then turn this one MS OFF and go to the next MS and do same process for rest of MS units. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between MR and MS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/000061709/Where-should-I-place-the-Mesh-WiFi-satellite-of-my-Nighthawk-Mesh-W... 📡

Message 3 of 24
enifsieus
Guide

This is basically what I did before posting - 2/3 MS were re-synced just fine as I rebuilt the network. It's the 3rd and final MS that is in the flashing white state. I have tried it both remotely (where it has lived for roughly a year) and right next to the MR node and there is no behavior change.

I should also mention that these are all wired backhaul to begin with, and that I have tried all steps in general with ethernet both in and out.

Message 4 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

So with out the other two MS being ON, turn them OFF, this 3rd MS will not sync wirelessly at all while near the MR? 

Possible this one MS is not on same FW version as the others: 

What you need to do is factory reset the MS. Wire connect a PC to the 1st satellite📡. Already have the most current FW version files downloaded on to this PC.

Wire connect 1 PC to the back of the MS. Factory reset the MS, wait about 5 minutes. The PC will get a IP address from the satellite📡. The MS will be 192.168.1.250. Use this IP address in a web browser to log in to the satellites web page. Log in as admin and password. Use the satellites 📡 web page FW update feature to select the FW update file that was unpacked from the .zip file. Then factory reset and then re-sync the MS 📡 to the MR.

Message 5 of 24
enifsieus
Guide

Well, as I said initially, I have help reset for well over 30 seconds, and I don't see any indication of a reset/reboot/reset to factory defaults. It continues to sit there and flash white. A reboot does the same.

Is there a "no really, I wasn't asking" method to reset to defaults?

Message 6 of 24
enifsieus
Guide

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What you need to do is factory reset the MS. Wire connect a PC to the 1st satellite📡. Already have the most current FW version files downloaded on to this PC.

I have tried everything I can think of here to reset:

- Short press reset

- Long press reset (well over 30s)

- Power off, press reset, hold reset and power on

- All of the above using sync instead of resert

- Long press sync + reset

Absolutely nothing changes. No IP address is assigned to PC when plugged into ethernet. No IP address is retrieved by MS60 when plugged into wired network. I've tried directly plumbing my PC to 192.168.1.0/24 and scanning the whole subnet - there is nothing there.

Did this thing become a doorstop overnight?

Message 7 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Press the reset button for 15 seconds then release should be enough.

Message 8 of 24
Lonestar9
Guide

Did you ever get this resolved? I am having the same issue.
Message 9 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW version is currnetly loaded? 

Have you tired the suggestions presented? 

@Lonestar9 wrote:
Did you ever get this resolved? I am having the same issue.

Message 10 of 24
enifsieus
Guide

I'm pretty confident that I tried the recommendations above exhaustively, with a number of variations and no luck ... I replaced the satellite, and things are working great again, though it was fairly frustrating that there was no apparent path to recover, or more completely diagnose the failure.

Message 11 of 24
Lonestar9
Guide

Thanks for the update. I was kind of hoping not having to do this, but it is what it is. Thanks again

Message 12 of 24
enifsieus
Guide

If anyone from Netgear product management who gives a crap reads this, I hope they'll take a note that 1 year of support, after which you have a choice of (a) replacing equipment or (b) buying a support contract more expensive than the equipment in question is sad. I'm a power user with a long history of buying netgear for home use, and being pleased with my choice. Next time, that likely won't be a default.

Message 13 of 24
Lonestar9
Guide

I absolutely agree!

Message 14 of 24
schmiedingm
Aspirant

Did anyone ever find a solution to this or am I just going to have to shell out more money to Netgear?

My satelite just gave up after months of working... noticed the issue when the outdoor camera stopped working and now nothing seemes to fix the satelite.

Message 15 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Contact NG support. 

@schmiedingm wrote:

Did anyone ever find a solution to this or am I just going to have to shell out more money to Netgear?

My satelite just gave up after months of working... noticed the issue when the outdoor camera stopped working and now nothing seemes to fix the satelite.

Message 16 of 24
Lonestar9
Guide

I cannot access the satellite via ethernet(unrecognized) as we stated earlier it remains on an endless loop of blinking white

Message 17 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Even after factory resetting the MS and leaving a wired PC connected to it for 5 minutes you can access 192.168.1.250? 

@Lonestar9 wrote:

I cannot access the satellite via ethernet(unrecognized) as we stated earlier it remains on an endless loop of blinking white

Message 18 of 24
Lonestar9
Guide

I have held the factory reset button for more than a minute and it continues to blink. I even was pressing the reset button while doing a power cycle and nothing

Message 19 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. Sounds like a hard failure then. I'd contact NG support and ask about RMA options. 

@Lonestar9 wrote:

I have held the factory reset button for more than a minute and it continues to blink. I even was pressing the reset button while doing a power cycle and nothing

Message 20 of 24
Lonestar9
Guide

Thank you

Message 21 of 24
schmiedingm
Aspirant

The issue has been solved! If a moderator could mark this as solution that'd be nice, thank you 😉

It turns out that this issue is not too challenging to solve (minus the hours I spent tinkering...). At least on my satellite, the firmware was corrupted. I'll explain all the steps below, but I assume an auto update bricked the satellite while upgrading to 1.1.6.122 in late 2021/early 2022.

-------------------------!

This article from Flash 2 Hack really helped me in the end, and I recommend following their steps before mine as their article is more complete and might help more than mine (also, odds are that I am forgetting important drivers or something of the like). (Complete link here: https://www.flash2hack.com/?p=393). You should be able to skip right to step 5.

Additionally, some minor command line knowledge is necessary for this fix, however I was able to figure it out from basically nothing. I saved my downloads in a file nested under C:\ RouterFix - make sure you use the "cd C:\ folder" command before running the command (change directory to wherever your new firmware is).

-------------------------!

How I fixed my MS60 satellite - I am running Windows 10:

1. I unsrewed the bottom 4 screws under the satellite's feet

2. I plugged in a serial reader. In my case, I only had an arduino uno which I used to read and send serial commands however a USB to serial converter would work better.

2a. For the arduino, I connected the ground and reset pins together with a jumper. Then I connected jumpers to GND, TX, and RX on the arudino. The order for the pins on the satellite (from top to bottom) was TX, RX, GND, and VCC/unused. I used a multimeter to find which pin had no current (therefore identifying it as GND). Then I connected the arduino TX to satellite RX, arduino RX to satellite TX, and GND to GND. If you're using a usb to serial converter cable (like from amazon), the steps should be the same.

3. I downloaded PuTTY (from this link) for my Windows 10 machine

4. I downloaded the MS60's firmware from the Netgear website

5. I enabled the "TFTP Client" in control panel (Control Panel > Programs > Turn windows features on or off > check "TFTP Client"

6. I opened windows command prompt (CMD in search bar).

7. Please follow Flash 2 Hack's article from here, its photos and descriptions will make more sense than what I can write here. You should be able to skip right to step 5!

7a. IMPORTANT AMENDMENT: Do not stop the router's boot up attempts like the guide suggests! It will automatically enter TFTP search mode (no it hasn't crashed like I first thought) and then your command line prompt will do its work from there. It is possible to restart this search mode but it is just unnecessary work.

8. A few notes: nothing noticeable happened after I entered the command line prompt - this was normal. PuTTY started detailing the upload about 20 seconds after I pressed enter. Also, my satellite auto-reconnected to my wifi network. If yours does not, follow the according guides from there.

Hopefully this helps whoever was in the same dire circumstances I was, remember that if it is truly a software problem you can most likely fix it. Good luck everyone!

schmiedingm

Message 22 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for the details and glad it worked for you. Though this maybe a solution, it's not something that most home users may have the skill set for to attemp to fix the MS when this condition is seen on the MS unit. Users can, of course, try your method if they wish too. However, users will be recommended and directed to official NG support to make contact and ask for help and information in most cases, if this is seen and normal troubleshooting processes have been exhausted. 

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

Message 23 of 24
Hugchui2
Aspirant

Cannot reset my satellites after accidentally switch off power .
The satellite brinks and turn red . I cannot synchronize with the router.

I have WIFI service available in part of my home only .
Please help
David
Message 24 of 24
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7