Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

MS80 backhaul issue

bulldog00
Apprentice

MS80 backhaul issue

Hi all, I have the MK83 mesh nighthawk. I have one MS80 satellite hardwired for backhaul. However, I cannot get the satellite to show a “wired” connection type from its IP interface (or from the garbage nighthawk app). I have ensured firmware is up to date, tried full reset of the entire system and just the satellite, testing and confirmed wiring is not the issue.

There is no option to enable/disable daisy chain with this system.

Any suggestions on how to get the satellite to update the wired backhaul?
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
bulldog00
Apprentice

Re: MS80 backhaul issue

quick follow up.  Found a bad punch down on the keystone.  Problem solved. Thanks again for the support!

You'd think as i am an IT Professional and have loss of feeling in my finger tips from terminating so many cables, id know better... 

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 14

All Replies
plemans
Guru

It should switch to it automatically.

What does it show in the app and in the gui setup for the connection? 

Message 2 of 14
bulldog00
Apprentice

It shows 5ghz for the connection type.
Message 3 of 14
plemans
Guru

In both the app and in the gui? 

Message 4 of 14
bulldog00
Apprentice

That is correct. In both app and web interface it shows wireless backhaul.
Message 5 of 14
plemans
Guru

whats the ethernet running through?
is it going through a switch, a patch panel, or is it a direct connection with ethernet cable?

If you move the satellite to by the router and connect with a known good 6ft cable, will it show connected?

Message 6 of 14
bulldog00
Apprentice

No switch, no patch panel.
It’s run from the router to a keystone (using cat6) then from the keystone to the satellite (about 3ft patch cord).

Ethernet at keystone shows fine connection.

If I plug the satellite into the router using a 6ft good cable, I did notice it switched to “wired”.
Message 7 of 14
bulldog00
Apprentice

I’ll get my rj45 tester out again tomorrow and test the run. But if I hardwire a PC in the keystone, I notice that the speed is limited to around less then 100mbps. I’m wondering if one of the pairs is mismatched or bad. Although I checked the connections several times (and visually they were correct, it’s possible something is wrong in the wiring.

Just wondering, if a pair is bad, or wired incorrectly on one side, will that stop the satellite from showing “wired” even though there is still data through the other pairs?
Message 8 of 14
plemans
Guru

If its switching to wired when a good 6ft cable is connected, I'd be looking at the cables you're using and the keystone jacks closer. It showing wired means its auto switching with a good connection. I have noticed some devices are more sensitive than others to sketchy cables/connections. 

Message 9 of 14
plemans
Guru

It should still connect at 10/100mbps connection but again, i've seen sketchy connections that will allow 10/100mbps not work at all on some devices. 

Message 10 of 14
bulldog00
Apprentice

Good info. I’ll grab the cable tester and see if I can find more information.
Message 11 of 14
bulldog00
Apprentice

quick follow up.  Found a bad punch down on the keystone.  Problem solved. Thanks again for the support!

You'd think as i am an IT Professional and have loss of feeling in my finger tips from terminating so many cables, id know better... 

Message 12 of 14
plemans
Guru

glad to hear it was a simple fix!

Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 
Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy.

@bulldog00 wrote:

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7