Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Mesh Network with VHT160/80 Support, Tri Band

codyamorgan
Follower

Mesh Network with VHT160/80 Support, Tri Band

Hello,

I would love to have a mesh wifi 6 setup with 3 tri band client connections and using a cat6 dedicated network cable for router and nodes as my backhaul. With having the hardwire in all the nodes this should free up the third band for client use I would think or at least would be nice! Is there anything out like that or coming soon that you are aware of?

I currently use a R9000 router with VHT160 (80+80MHz) channel width on 5GHz band. This router is running DDWRT since those are not standard factory settings... dont get me started on why! It works amazing with newer hardware like my Note 20 Ultra and other newer devices, except not the PS5. I read somewhere it supports up to 80MHz not 160. It can see the 5GHz network and it tries to connect but won't. I would like to have a VHT160 and a VHT80 on two 5GHz bands that way I can connect all my devices to 5GHz 80 or 160. I don't need a 2.4GHz band if I could get away with two 5GHz bands. But that isn't an option normally.

Any suggestions on current mesh systems that would fit my request? Also if it matters or others care who read my post and have similar question, I currently use Google Fiber as my ISP and have a 1GB up/down speed so achieving super high wireless speeds is a must, also I have a large house so was at least looking at a 1 router with 2 node setup.

Thank you for your help,
Cody
Message 1 of 2
schumaku
Guru

Re: Mesh Network with VHT160/80 Support, Tri Band

There are not many wireless clients able to use 2x2 VHT80+80 to the full extent e.g. notebook class devices with Intel AX200/AX201 adapters allowing 1733/1733 Mb/s link rates on standard 802.11ac QAM256 - everything on the Netgear original 1.0.5.28 firmware btw. No idea why the PS5 should not be able to handle this - any 802.11ac 1x1 or 2x2 client operating on 20, 40, or 80 MHz I've ever tried on the R9000 with this config can operate on the R9000 VHT80+80 config making 96...867 Mb/s PHY link rate. The only downside is that it can't get an advantage out of 3x3 or 4x4 clients - because it is operating as a 2x2 radio in VHT80+80 (or VHT160) mode. Technically, there should be nothing stopping to connect "any" wireless client - if it does, it's a problem with the WiFi adpater firmware loaded by the host, e.g. the PS5 OS.

For your Note 20 Ultra, I don't think you don't need this, it's a VHT80 system, just like the slightly "smaller" -> Galaxy S20, S20+, and S20 Ultra support Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/ax (2.4/5GHz), VHT80 MU-MIMO, and 10... And then it's unlikely more than a 2x2 system - the power usage on a battery operated mobile device would be tremendous.

Ref. your Mesh ideas: There is not much information beyond of hypothetical hype numbers on the PS5. The official don't-do-this-at-home disassembly video does show four antenna cables, so is most likely a 4x4 system. Leaving WiFi 6 40 MHz bandwith alone (this is for 2.4 GHz), it could be an WiFi 6 80 MHz (max 2401 Mb/s link rate) or a WiFi 6 80+80 MHz system (max link rate some 4803 Mb/s).  

There are not many Mesh systems offering more than one WiFi 6 HT80+80Mhz 4x4 fronthaul (again 4803. Mb/s max linkrate), the other is typically reserved for the wireless backhaul in the AX11000 class. WiFi 6 APs with more complex and very expensive 8x8 config are for venues where you need to cover a large amount of concurrent wireless clients. In fact, this is what WiFi 6 is made for - concurrently supporing lots of mobile devices. I'm convinced the Note 20 Ultra will perfectly perform on any WiFi 6 Mesh system today.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7