Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Re: Mesh system for my home

gusanchez10
Aspirant

Mesh system for my home

Hello, I have aquired the nighthawk x4 extender. However I did not know any of the mesh function until I received the package.

I want to make a mesh system for my home. I am assuming I need to change my main router for one netgear router with mesh function so  I can connect it to the extender. What router would you recommend?

Model: EX7300|AC2200 Nighthawk X4 WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 16
plemans
Guru

The EX7300 is a mesh extender. It works with pretty much all routers (theres a couple verizon ones that cause issues).

So what router do you have? 

Are you needing more extenders or why are you thinking you need a different router?

Message 2 of 16
gusanchez10
Aspirant

I have a acrux 1200 nexxt router, I want to have my own mesh system around my home, I already have mesh netgear router. 

Message 3 of 16

@gusanchez10 wrote:

I already have mesh netgear router. 

Which one?

@gusanchez10 wrote:

I have a acrux 1200 nexxt router

What's that? Are you using it as well as a Netgear router?

If so beware this:

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 4 of 16
gusanchez10
Aspirant

No, I do not have a netgear router, that was a typo,

https://www.nexxtsolutions.com/connectivity/internal-products/ARL02124U1, this is the router I am currently using.

In addition, I am using a netgear extender.  (Nighthawk X4 AC2200 Model#EX3700).

What I am looking for is a good mesh system for my home, using the netgear extender since I already have it.

So, I probably need to change my nexxt router to a better netgear router with mesh function.

So I was wondering if you could recommend me a good router(s) to make my own mesh system in my place.

Message 5 of 16
gusanchez10
Aspirant

https://www.nexxtsolutions.com/connectivity/internal-products/ARL02124U1, this is the router I am currently using.

In addition, I am using a netgear extender.  (Nighthawk X4 AC2200 Model#EX3700).

What I am looking for is a good mesh system for my home, using the netgear extender since I already have it.

So, I probably need to change my nexxt router to a better netgear router with mesh function.

So I was wondering if you could recommend me a good router(s) to make my own mesh system in my place.

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-Whole-Home-System/dp/B0823JXXX4/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keyword...

I have looked up the NETGEAR Nighthawk Whole Home Mesh WiFi 6 System (MK62), wonde if would work with my extender

Message 6 of 16

@gusanchez10 wrote:

The EX3700 is  not a Mesh device. It is a now somewhat aged (2015) conventional extender, without the technology needed  to do Mesh.

@gusanchez10 wrote:

That is not a Mesh router either, from what I can see.

Message 7 of 16
plemans
Guru

like @michaelkenward says, the EX3700 isn't a mesh extender. Its a fairly base model dual band extender. 

The MK62 is a solid system and works well for base model mesh systems (dual band). 

If your home is large are you using a lot of bandwidth, you might look at a triband system like the MK82 or triband orbi's. 

I have seen the EX3700 connected to mesh systems but not integrated into the mesh. Just as its own network/extender setup. it works 

Message 8 of 16
gusanchez10
Aspirant

@plemans  I noticed you are using a mesh system and a router in your setup. Do I need to have a router + mesh system?

Message 9 of 16
plemans
Guru

No you don't have to have a router + full mesh system.

I just like to play with different setups and so put what my current setup is in my signature. 

If I wasn't testing out the SXK30, then I"d have the RAXE500 as primary. 

Message 10 of 16
gusanchez10
Aspirant

Message 11 of 16

@gusanchez10 wrote:

What do you think of this one

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-Advanced-System-Security/dp/B08V3PMGBR/ref=sr_1_3?crid=27C9...

The reviews look good.

I love the way that it screams:

with Free Armor Security

at the top.

Then you go down into the small print:

includes a 90-day subscription

Not "free" then in the sense then as many people would interpret it.

Message 12 of 16
gusanchez10
Aspirant

would it work with my extender? nighthawk ac2200 ex7300?

Message 13 of 16
plemans
Guru

would it integrate with your system? No. 

Would it work with it? yes

Message 14 of 16
gusanchez10
Aspirant

wwhat do you mean would it integrate?

@plemans wrote:

Message 15 of 16

@gusanchez10 wrote:

wwhat do you mean would it integrate?

@plemans wrote:

The idea of Mesh is that you create one big wifi zone with a single SSID regardless of how many wifi sources you add to the network.

If a wifi client logs into that SSID, it will stay connected as you move around the place between different wifi clients on our network. The client device will change smoothly from one wifi source to the other without logging itself in and out of the network and the delays that that can cause.

For this smooth handover to happen, the various wifi devices on a Mesh network have to communicate with each other and coordinate their activities.

The reference to "integrate" means that all of your wifi sources will play nicely and join this  Mesh and will communicate with one another.

The EX3700 talked about earlier cannot join in with that conversation. It cannot integrate itself into your Mesh network.

It will be just another wifi source alongside your Mesh network. Devices that connect to the EX3700 are not a part of the Mesh network. There will be separate wifi networks, even if you try to fool the system by using the same SSID, a move that could actually make life more complicated as wifi clients get confused as to which source they are connected to.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7