Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Netgear MR60 with Verizon G3100 router

pappyg
Follower

Netgear MR60 with Verizon G3100 router

I bought the Netgear MR60 back in January and my complimentary tech support has expired. At the time I was using Verizon FIOS with whatever modem came out 3-4 years ago. I configured my Netgear MR60 and satellite device and it seemed to have addressed my issue with getting a strong signal throughout my house over the past 4 months. HOWEVER, I just upgraded to the newer Verizon G3100 router and now I cannot get my MR60 to connect to it. To be candid, networking and wifi is not my area of expertise by a long shot - I was just looking to boost my signal so we would stop getting buffering while streaming Hulu. I don't even know if I still need the mesh devices but I figured I bought them so I may as well hook them up. But again, my Netgear setup app says it cannot find the new router. I put in the new name and password, but it says "We can't find your Router". Hitting the reconnect button results in the same message and clicking the "Connect to a different product" link just results in a blank page. I am also seeing a Configuration Error page in the app where it tells me to check my wifi connection and try again, to no avail. I guess I need to know if I am just spinning my wheels because the netgear device is not compatible with the new verizon router. Please advise. Thanks.

Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: Netgear MR60 with Verizon G3100 router

The G3100 either needs to be in passthrough/modem only mode or the netgear in access point mode. 

Its a modem/router combo device and causes a double nat in default mode. 

A double nat happens when you cascade more than 1 router.
https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Fixes? There’s 3 options but only use 1.
1. Put the modem/gateway in modem only/pass through mode. This disables its routing functions.
2. Leave the modem/gateway in router mode but put the Netgears IP address into its DMZ. This forwards the data to the netgear. You can either leave the modem/gateway’s wireless enabled or disabled. Just make sure its using a different wifi channel to prevent interference
3. Put the Netgear into access point mode. This disables its routing functions. Wifi/ethernet still works but it does disable some features.
https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Which-features-are-disabled-on-my-NETGEAR-router-when-it-is-set-to-AP-M...

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7