Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Netgear Nighthawk MR62 Wired Backhaul

jmurphy19199
Aspirant

Netgear Nighthawk MR62 Wired Backhaul

Hi

I have just purchased the Netgear MR62 Mesh System and having issues trying to get Wired Backhaul working.

I currently have it now setup in traditional mesh mode with the satelite connecting wirelessly just so i can use it but i would like to use Wired Backhaul. below is my setup

This is how i tried to get the wired backhaul working. 

Nighthawk Router - Connected to managed network switch via "Internet" port on the back

Satelight - Connected to same managed network switch via Ethernet

Satelite would not show the backhaul connection in settings. Tried putting both in AP mode but this i think it not the right way

can someone explain in steps what i need to do 

Thanks 

Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: Netgear Nighthawk MR62 Wired Backhaul

What switch are you using? 

what modem are you using?

When you have it setup is it going like this:

modem-----to wan port on router------>router-------->lan port------->switch-------->satellites

i've seen people use modem/router combo devices and go like this

modem/router-------switch------->wan port on router

|

|

Satellites

Message 2 of 7
jmurphy19199
Aspirant

So I have Ethernet jacks all over the house they al run back to a hp managed switch 2640. Modes/firewall is an acer.

How I imagined it could work would be

Modem/firewall to switch
Nighthawk router to switch
Satellite to switch

Is this not the case?
Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

Again, a lot depends on how you have it wired into the switch. and how the switch is setup. 

There's some conversations on managed switches.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/ORBI-and-Switch/td-p/1672848

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-Ethernet-Backhaul-with-Managed-Switches/td-p/1613897

you an also run into issues if the orbi is only connected to the switch via the WAN port. 

It should go modem/firewall to wan port on orbi, then orbi connects lan port to switch with other devices connected to switch. 

Message 4 of 7
jmurphy19199
Aspirant

so to be clear.. the netgear nighthawk router needs a cable in the WAN port and the Ethernet port?

WAN port to my modem/firewall and Ethernet From the LAN to my Switch?

Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

@jmurphy19199 wrote:

so to be clear.. the netgear nighthawk router needs a cable in the WAN port and the Ethernet port?

WAN port to my modem/firewall and Ethernet From the LAN to my Switch?

If you want everything functioning properly then yes. 

modem/firewall----->wan port on nighthawk------>lan cord from nighthawk to switch

Message 6 of 7
schumaku
Guru

No idea, and not much practical experience I'm afraid. So just wild guessing:

Operating Nightawk Mesh in router mode:

Modem/Router (bridged WAN) <-> [WAN] MR60 [LAN] <-> switch <-> [LAN] MS60 

Operating Nighthawk Mesh in wireless access point mode:

Modem/Router [LAN] <-> switch <-> [WAN or LAN?] MR60 AP mode
                                         switch <-> [LAN] MS60  
or patch a dedicated link through the patch panel for the satellite connection
Modem/Router [LAN] <-> [WAN] MR60 [LAN] <-> patch  <-> [LAN] MS60 

The point mentioned in the thread before about Orbi/Orbi Pro (applicable to many other consumer Mesh systems allowing wireless or wired backhaul - because they use the Spanning Tree Protocol STP to discover the better path): One has to disable something very useful on a switch: STP, plus sometimes some more like disabling the ports from praticipating on STP. Even if one would configure a dedicated VLAN for the wired backhaul this would be required because this does work switch-wide, on all VLANs.

I think most of the active people here in the community don't have an official information what is required to operate the MR60/MS60 on a Smart Managed or Managed switch. @arunkmony please, your business! Don't understand why this is still not documented (or I can't find it...).

But then, with an environment in place @jmurphy19199 - I would not play with (read: stay far away from) consumer Mesh systems (except for learning and testing), and head to deploying wireless APs, e.g. Netgear Insight WAC540 ... not WiFi6/AX, but providing same if not more bandwidth over air than the AX1800 (600+1200) MR60/MS60 system.

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7