Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Re: New - MK6x series: MR60 / MS60 FW v1.1.6.122 Released

FURRYe38
Guru

So did you reset and setup from scratch after v122 was loaded and still saw the problem? 

Message 26 of 79
RustyNail58
Tutor

That is correct. Several times actually.
Message 27 of 79
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok thank you. I'll see if we can get some review on this. 

@RustyNail58 wrote:
That is correct. Several times actually.

Message 28 of 79
pieinthesky
Guide

I recently (2 days ago) got the MR60 / 2x MS60s.
I updated to v1.1.6.122 today (Updated MS60s then MR60) and noticed that my devices arent showing up under the “Satellites” they are connected to. only under “Devices”, it’s also reporting devices as being “offline” when they aren’t on the nighthawk app.

It also seems like “Address Reservation” isn’t correctly assigning the IP I set for devices (NO IP CONFLICT).

The other thing (not a biggie) is the inbuilt “Speed Test” doesn’t work either via the “App” or “Web GUI”.
Via the App; It just shows all 0’s.
Via Web GUI; “ The Speedtest failed to detect the bandwidth, please check your Internet connection or try again later”.

There isn’t anything wrong with my internet connection it works fine and the speedtest app tests just fine. To be honest I never tried to run a Speedtest on the previous version.

Looks like I’ll be spending my afternoon tomorrow downgrading the FW. Here’s hoping it doesn’t fry my MR60/MS60s.

BE AWARE BEFORE UPGRADING TO v1.1.6.122

EDIT; further reports of “Devices” not showing up on “Router or Satellites” in Network Map.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Mesh-System/MR60-Router-degraded-since-update-and-app-has...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Mesh-System/MR60-Satellites-showing-as-offline-in-phone-a...
Message 29 of 79
Naairda
Aspirant

@pieinthesky wrote:
< snip >
It also seems like “Address Reservation” isn’t correctly assigning the IP I set for devices (NO IP CONFLICT).
< snip >
BE AWARE BEFORE UPGRADING TO v1.1.6.122

I am agreeing with your last statement. Did you notice a change in the MAC address of your satelites after the FW upgrade? MY satelites received different IP adresses after installing the new FW as well. I thought it strange as I had their IP address fixed via the DHCP server on my router (EdgeRouter 4 with FW v2.0.9-hotfix.2, I use the MR60 as an AP). The IP address (AND MAC address) changed again after rolling back to the previous FW. But at least it worked again. 

Message 30 of 79
pieinthesky
Guide

Yup my Satellites and my NVR refuse to have Static IP via DHCP Reservation (AGAIN I’m making myself damn clear there is NO IP CONFLICT - Not directed to you @Naairda).

I just checked the MAC Address of the Satellites and yes I can CONFIRM there is a difference in the MAC Address (Only the 6th Octet).

At the present stage my MR60 is my Router. I decommissioned my old environment, but I’m contemplating recommissioning it and returning the MR60/MS60 back to Amazon.

I just don’t understand how a firmware upgrade can not be trialed and tested throughly before releasing into the wild for consumers.
Message 31 of 79
mercat68
Aspirant

I can confirm both these problems after the FW upgrade (satellites not showing connected devices in app; and speedtest disabled in both app and web dashboard). The only buggy behavior I've noticed are two outdoor cameras connecting only sporadically. I'm going to factory reset both and see if that clears up the problem. Otherwise, network performance appears to be as good as before the firmware upgrade. But all the bugs are frustrating (you listening Netgear?).

Message 32 of 79
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend users who are having problems with v122 please contact NG support and let them know about what your seeing:

https://my.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Try to revert back to what had been working for you. 

Message 33 of 79
mercat68
Aspirant

Thanks. I've reported both problems to Netgear via the in-app bug reporting (shake) system.

Message 34 of 79
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 35 of 79
smithg38
Aspirant

I've upgraded the firmware to the latest release 1.1.6.122 and all my previous settings were completely lost. No port forwarding and the reserved IP addresses in the LAN setup were deleted.

While it was pain having to set the IP reservation table again for my 49 products connected it wasn't the end fo the world. 

I am finding however the web interface no longer lets me view access control under the security tab, saying that I now need to use the Nighthawk app which also appears to be hit and miss since the update.

Is anyone having the same issue?

PS. Why does the MK prodcut range not appear in the 'model' drop down box?

Message 36 of 79
FURRYe38
Guru

What broswer are you using? 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...

@smithg38 wrote:

I've upgraded the firmware to the latest release 1.1.6.122 and all my previous settings were completely lost. No port forwarding and the reserved IP addresses in the LAN setup were deleted.

While it was pain having to set the IP reservation table again for my 49 products connected it wasn't the end fo the world. 

I am finding however the web interface no longer lets me view access control under the security tab, saying that I now need to use the Nighthawk app which also appears to be hit and miss since the update.

Is anyone having the same issue?

PS. Why does the MK prodcut range not appear in the 'model' drop down box?

Message 37 of 79
mercat68
Aspirant

The Nighthawk app really seems to be a hot mess right now. This morning, I looked at the Device Manager and it was showing my two MR60 satellites as Orbi WiFi 6 System AX4200 units, which is new behavior. The IP address of each had changed overnight, too. Not sure if that's normal or not, but I thought I remember it being more stable. It's also showing ghost devices (e.g., "Cisco" with no further info) as connected but offline.

Message 38 of 79
FURRYe38
Guru

You might start a new post over in the Nighthawk App forum and please include your pictures and current screen captures for review. Pease give device brand and model# information for where you have the app loaded. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-App/bd-p/en-home-networking-apps

All this seems to be a app issue. 

@mercat68 wrote:

The Nighthawk app really seems to be a hot mess right now. This morning, I looked at the Device Manager and it was showing my two MR60 satellites as Orbi WiFi 6 System AX4200 units, which is new behavior. The IP address of each had changed overnight, too. Not sure if that's normal or not, but I thought I remember it being more stable. It's also showing ghost devices (e.g., "Cisco" with no further info) as connected but offline.

Message 39 of 79
VoodooRit
Initiate

I've also had a number of issues with the latest v1.1.6.122 firmware.

No support available via NG so just adding my frustration to this thread.  Brief overview....

MR60 + 2 x MS60 (running from Virgin Router running in Modem Mode).
- App cannot perform SpeedTest. Minor.
- I'm almost certain a MAC Address on 1 Satellite has changed. Minor.
- Reserved MAC/IP for one Satellite being ignored. Minor.
- PC running Sonos App reporting 'not enough bandwidth and keeps disconnecting from Sonos speaker - satellite/PC/Speaker all in same room within 2m radius. Annoying.
- Occasional (4 or 5 times daily) outright internet dropouts, or blips killing VPN connection.  Response over VPN when active seems more sluggish.

Please note a lot of the above is quite vague and not looking for assistance.  As I have no recourse through Support I just wanted to add to the thread to raise the issue which as has been stated already - *** At this moment in time you would be wise NOT to upgrade to this firmware *** ...definitely NOT if you work from home 🙂

I must confess that I am not overly surprised and have never been particularly impressed with NG/Firmware however that is my fault for talking this route and not Draytek for example.  Hey ho - now rolling back the firmware, happy days.

Message 40 of 79
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it turns out after you revert FW back. I presume to v116? 

@VoodooRit wrote:

I've also had a number of issues with the latest v1.1.6.122 firmware.

No support available via NG so just adding my frustration to this thread.  Brief overview....

MR60 + 2 x MS60 (running from Virgin Router running in Modem Mode).
- App cannot perform SpeedTest. Minor.
- I'm almost certain a MAC Address on 1 Satellite has changed. Minor.
- Reserved MAC/IP for one Satellite being ignored. Minor.
- PC running Sonos App reporting 'not enough bandwidth and keeps disconnecting from Sonos speaker - satellite/PC/Speaker all in same room within 2m radius. Annoying.
- Occasional (4 or 5 times daily) outright internet dropouts, or blips killing VPN connection.  Response over VPN when active seems more sluggish.

Please note a lot of the above is quite vague and not looking for assistance.  As I have no recourse through Support I just wanted to add to the thread to raise the issue which as has been stated already - *** At this moment in time you would be wise NOT to upgrade to this firmware *** ...definitely NOT if you work from home 🙂

I must confess that I am not overly surprised and have never been particularly impressed with NG/Firmware however that is my fault for talking this route and not Draytek for example.  Hey ho - now rolling back the firmware, happy days.

Message 41 of 79
R0fflez
Aspirant

I just wanted to add that im also having the same problems right after the update to FW 1.1.6.122. I will list the issues just to see if anyone else is experiencing the exact and/or similar issues:

- Unstable connection with a drastic speed drop

- MR60 Router does not see (will not sync) with the satellite

- Any type of speedtest fails

- Something ive noticed and not sure if it would be an issue with anything is that ive noticed that the router has always  had issues with connecting to the NTP server. Please let me know if this would be an issue.

Issues within the APP:

- App shows that the satellite is connected but satellite (MS60) LED is amber

- App shows all devices connected to router is a wired conection when there is no wired devices connected

- App shows a picture of a completely different device in the network map. (It actually shows me a picture of the R7500 and not the MS60)

There are other issues that are happening but these are the big problems ive discovered. If anyone has anymore issues other than what i listed please feel free to let me know so i can check my system. Ive started a ticket with netgear but it seems like all thats happening is a lot of questions and waiting for responses which is not helping.

Message 42 of 79
pieinthesky
Guide

@R0fflez wrote:

- Something ive noticed and not sure if it would be an issue with anything is that ive noticed that the router has always  had issues with connecting to the NTP server. Please let me know if this would be an issue.

What NTP server are you trying to connect to?

I'm currently using my ISPs and it's been able to authenticate and connect to it no issues.

Ensure you are entering the NTP Server address correctly.

Are you able to ping it at all?

Message 43 of 79
R0fflez
Aspirant

Im just using the default setting which i believe tries to connect to the Netgear NTP server. And if i can remember correctly other than the initial first setup (which i never had problems with) my router has always said that it could not connect to the NTP server no matter how many factory resets ive tried including 30-30-30 factory resets. Hell, ive tried 1week-1week-1week power restarts/resets.

i actually havent tried to ping it for the simple fact that i never noticed any connection issues or speed issues. From that i really never had a reason to try and ping. I just thought i would add that bit of information since i noticed it and it might help others as well.

Message 44 of 79
pieinthesky
Guide

@R0fflez wrote:

Im just using the default setting which i believe tries to connect to the Netgear NTP server. And if i can remember correctly other than the initial first setup (which i never had problems with) my router has always said that it could not connect to the NTP server no matter how many factory resets ive tried including 30-30-30 factory resets. Hell, ive tried 1week-1week-1week power restarts/resets.

i actually havent tried to ping it for the simple fact that i never noticed any connection issues or speed issues. From that i really never had a reason to try and ping. I just thought i would add that bit of information since i noticed it and it might help others as well.

OK. At the very least have you tried using an alternative NTP Server Address?

ie Google or Cloudflare? or your ISPs NTP Server (if they have one).

The reason I asked if you can ping it, is to see if its reachable from your Network.

If it's not reachable from your Network, it's not going to be able to establish a connection with the NTP Server.

OR if the NTP Server Netgear uses is down, then it wont be able to establish a connection.

Message 45 of 79
FURRYe38
Guru

Try reverting back to v116?

@R0fflez wrote:

I just wanted to add that im also having the same problems right after the update to FW 1.1.6.122. I will list the issues just to see if anyone else is experiencing the exact and/or similar issues:

- Unstable connection with a drastic speed drop

- MR60 Router does not see (will not sync) with the satellite

- Any type of speedtest fails

Issues within the APP:

- App shows that the satellite is connected but satellite (MS60) LED is amber

- App shows all devices connected to router is a wired conection when there is no wired devices connected

- App shows a picture of a completely different device in the network map. (It actually shows me a picture of the R7500 and not the MS60)

There are other issues that are happening but these are the big problems ive discovered. If anyone has anymore issues other than what i listed please feel free to let me know so i can check my system. Ive started a ticket with netgear but it seems like all thats happening is a lot of questions and waiting for responses which is not helping.

Message 46 of 79
Naairda
Aspirant

Well, I am not very smart. I left auto-update on and it installed the latest malfunctioning 1.1.6.122 last night. Same problems: sattelites missing, new IP addresses becasue they had diferent MAC adressses again (6th octet), etc.. Fortunately, I know how to go back now and have turned off auto-update. 

Message 47 of 79
pieinthesky
Guide

I’m generally curious if anyone has a response from Netgear? Or if there is anyone “official” from Netgear on these forums.

They closed my case saying “Firmware is operating within specification” how the f*** can all these bugs people are reporting and multiple people having the same issue “Within Spec”.

Netgear is a f***ing joke!
Message 48 of 79
Naairda
Aspirant

@pieinthesky wrote:
I’m generally curious if anyone has a response from Netgear? Or if there is anyone “official” from Netgear on these forums.

<snip>

I am also not impressed with how this is being handled. I fail to understand why the firmware is working for some people as it does some seriously wacky things (MAC-adress change? Seriously?). Could it be that people reporting problems here have different hardware versions (as in a different spec/iteration) than others?

Message 49 of 79
VoodooRit
Initiate

Apologies for the delay in updating however I wanted to leave this a while to give a fair appraisal of reverting to V1.0.6.116.

The process of reverting was somewhat painful as these things generally are under NG however I can now happily report that the ONLY problem I previously reported that I still have an issue with is the SpeedTest under the App which is still refusing to play ball.  This would suggest this was not related to the new firmware after all - not something I use frequently so not a problem for me anyway.

I must vent however - my saved settings under the latest firmware (v1.1.6.122) did not reload after reverting to V1.0.6.116 and factory resetting.  Also trying to re-configure the LAN setup i.e. naming devices, reserving IP addresses, assigning a higher IP address range all proved painful ....

- identify attached devices by assigning device names etc sometimes lost the details I updated.

- trying to reserve an ip address for a previously named device threw errors - device name was too long although it was accepted previously.

- multiple devices being assigned the same IP address!!!

- unreserved devices being assigned an ip address below the DNS IP address range of 100+.

These are all problems I've had countless times before on different firmware versions.  I'm a software developer so I it never ceases to amaze me how NG can get the fundamentals so wrong, and care so little!  Happy Days 🙂

Message 50 of 79
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7